Having a dream to become a lecturer or researcher in India, what clicks in your mind first?
Probably the National Eligibility Tests such as UGC NET, CSIR NET or ICAR NET initiated by the University Grants Commission!
The CSIR NET is conducted only for the Science Stream students, the ICAR NET is held for the students belonging to the Agriculture Field and on the other hand, the UGC NET is conducted for other subjects/streams.
The candidates seeking to pursue their career in lectureship or research often face this confusion to whether appear in CSIR NET, UGC NET or both.
We at Eduncle, receive many queries for the same. So, keeping up all the queries of our readers, we have come up with this blog.
Please read the blog and ask your further queries in the comments box below!
Which Exam Should I Appear For? CSIR NET or UGC NET!
Are you confused between CBSE UGC NET and CSIR NET Exams?
Let’s begin with understanding the nature of both exams first!
What is UGC NET? Check Out If It Fits with Your Qualification!
The UGC NET Exam is conducted for the post of assistant professor at the university level and to provide the JRF award to Indian citizens.
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) conducts UGC NET on behalf of the University Grants Commission to ensure the minimum standards in research and teaching.
The UGC NET exam is held for more than 84 subjects. Candidates will be eligible for UGC NET if they have completed their master’s degree OR equivalent examination from the universities/institutions recognized by UGC.
Candidates can apply for UGC NET if they have completed their master’s degree in one of the following Master’s courses:
- S. Ayurveda (Master of Surgery in Ayurveda)/ Ayurvedacharya
- Master of Law (LL.M. or M.L.)
- Master of Architecture (M.Arch.)
- Master of Commerce (M.Com)
- Master of Education (M.Ed.)
- Master of Library and Information Science (M.Lib.Sc.)
- Magister Litterarum/ Master of Letters (M.Litt.)
- Master of Music (M. Mus.)
- Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Computer Applications (MCA)
- Master of Financial Management (M.F.M.)
- Master of Education degree in Human Resource Development (M.H.R.D.)
- Master’s in International Business (M.I.B.)
- Master’s in Marketing Management (M.Mkt.M.)
- Master of Optometry (M.Optom.)
- Master of Health Administration (MHA)
- Master of Journalism and Mass Communication (MJMC)
- Master of Mass Communication (MMC)
- Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT)
- Master of Public Health (P.H.)
- Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Masters of Planning (Plan)
- Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Master of Statistics (M.Stat.)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech.)
- Master of Veterinary Science (M.V. Sc.)
- Master of Arts (MA)
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy (M.F.T.)
- Master of Physical Education (M.P. Ed)
- Medication Therapy Management (MTM)
- Master of Physical Education and Sports Sciences (MPES)
- And Others
What is CSIR NET? Is This the One You Must Go For!
CSIR stands for Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, which is a national research and development organization.
The CSIR NET exam is conducted for the Life Science, Mathematical Science, Physical Science, Earth Science, and Chemical Science subjects for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor post in colleges/universities.
Candidates will be eligible for CSIR NET in the above mentioned or related subjects if they have owned educational qualification in any of the degrees as given below:
- M.Sc. or equivalent degree
- Integrated BS-MS
- BS- 4 years
- BE/ B.Tech.
- B.Sc. (Hons) or equivalent degree
Can I Appear for CSIR NET or UGC NET Exam? OR Can I Appear for Both?
Now when you are aware of the basic knowledge of UGC NET and CSIR NET, you must ensure the eligibility for the same. You might have a question that can you apply for both UGC NET and CSIR NET simultaneously?
Yes, one can apply for UGC NET and CSIR NET simultaneously if one satisfies the required eligibility criteria.
For example, if one has completed the master’s degree in mathematics and your age is below 28 years, then he/she can apply for the CSIR NET mathematics and UGC NET Physics.
Here we are going to discuss the eligibility criteria for both the exams individually.
Keep reading the blog to know in detail.
Are You Eligible for the UGC NET? Check Out Here!
Have a look at the UGC NET Eligibility containing educational qualification and the age limit criteria that candidates need to fulfill to become applicable for the UGC NET.
- The candidates can apply for the UGC NET if they have completed the post-graduation with minimum 55% (For General Category) or 50% (For Reserved Category) from the recognized university.
- The maximum age limit is 30 years for the JRF while there is no age limit for the lectureship. The age relaxation is applicable as per the UGC Regulations.
If you set an applicability for the exam, you must take your first move towards preparation. Start with understanding the syllabus and then plan your preparations accordingly.
Who is Eligible to Apply for CSIR NET? Find Out Here!
The aspirants must have possessed the CSIR NET Eligibility like educational qualification and age limit as mentioned below:
- The candidates who have completed their master’s degree with minimum 55% marks from the recognized university are eligible to apply for CSIR NET Exam.
- The graduate candidates are also eligible to apply for the CSIR NET Exam. However, they will be awarded the CSIR NET Certificate after the completion of the Post-graduation within the time period of two years.
- For JRF, the age of the candidates must be below 28 years but the CSIR NET-LS is exempted from the age-limit criteria. The age relaxation will be given to the reserved category candidates.
Note: Bachelor’s degree holders shall not be eligible for Lectureship. They can apply only for the CSIR fellowship only after getting registered/enrolled for Ph.D./Integrated Ph.D. program within the validity period of two years.
The candidates are allowed to apply only for the subject of their post-graduation and its related subjects. However, there are some subjects for which candidates can apply for both the exams that are UGC NET and CSIR NET Exam.
Check out the list of the subjects for different streams or courses below for which candidates can apply through UGC NET and CSIR NET both the exams simultaneously.
|1.||Earthquake Engineering (M-Tech & B-Tech)|
|3.||Energy Engineering (B-Tech & M-Tech)|
|4.||Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering (b-Tech & M-Tech)|
|5.||Manufacturing Science & Engineering|
|6.||Manufacturing Engineering & Technology|
|7.||Neural Networks (B-Tech & M-Tech)|
|8.||Optoelectronics and Optical Communication|
|16.||MS (Master of Surgery)|
|20.||Electronics & Communication Engineering|
In the above table, we have discussed the courses for which candidates can appear in both exams.
Visit our blog to get the detailed knowledge about which subject to choose for UGC NET and CSIR NET?
Hope the article would be helpful to clear your doubt whether you can apply for UGC NET and CSIR NET both exams simultaneously or not?
If you find the blog helpful, you can share it with your friends. Stay connected with Eduncle to be updated with the latest UGC NET updates and information.
All the best!!