Read the Daily & Weekly Current Affairs and GK Updates Ques & Ans here. Get Free Access to Competitive Exams General Knowledge Quiz in GK Eduwrap.
It covers the Important Current Affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you to prepare confidently for the General Awareness Section in Popular Bank Exams & Government Exams.
We have catered the Important GK Updates from the major Current Affairs Categories below. Please have a look –
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
|Bills [Amendments & New]|
To get the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. The Minister of State for Home Affairs, Kiren Rijiju has inaugurated 7th Edition of ‘Kathakar: International Storytellers Festival’ at the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA), New Delhi.
Kathakar is a special initiative to promote the oral storytelling tradition which has existed across the world.
2. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched the National Strategic Plan 2017-24 which aimed at eradicating HIV/AIDS by 2030.
It was launched on the World AIDS Day.
3. The Telangana Government is going to set up the world’s first Information and Technology (IT) Campus for differently-abled persons (divyangs) in state capital Hyderabad.
The aim is to focus on creating employment opportunities for persons with disabilities (PWDs).
4. The first International Exhibition and Conference on AYUSH and Wellness Sector- AROGYA 2017 was held in New Delhi.
It was organized by FICCI in collaboration with Union Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Pharmaceuticals Export Promotion Council (Pharmexcil).
Its theme was ‘Enhancing the global potential of AYUSH’.
5. The 22nd Conference of Asian Harmonization Working Party (AHWP) was recently held in New Delhi.
The key objective of the conference was to develop and recommend approaches for convergence and harmonization of medical device regulations in Asia.
6. The first International Conference on Sports Medicine & Sports Sciences SAICON 2017 was held in New Delhi.
The aim was to promote scientific temperament in the country and inspire students, researchers and educationists alike to take up sports science and research to the next level.
7. The MSME has launched Public Procurement Portal MSME Sambandh for monitoring of Public Procurement Policy.
The objective of the portal is to monitor the implementation of the Public Procurement from MSEs by the Central Public-Sector Enterprises (CPSEs).
8. Goa CM Manohar Parrikar has launched the Jai Kisaan App, a farmer engagement app packed with features and functions to fulfill the needs of the farmers community in India.
It is a one-stop solution for agricultural information and cultivation, covering crop nutrition, protection, seeds, and diagnostic services.
9. The HUA Ministry has approved the construction of 1.12 lakh more affordable houses for urban poor under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
There will be an investment of Rs 8,105 crore for construction of these houses. The Centre will provide an assistance of Rs 1,681 crore for their construction.
10. The 6th International Tourism Mart was inaugurated by Assam Government in Guwahati, Assam on 5th December 2017.
The mart aims to put special emphasis on India’s Act East Policy, blossoming ties with ASEAN and the larger East Asia region and India’s emerging tourism markets.
11. Indian Railways will accept payments through UPI and BHIM app for booking railway tickets from reservation counters.
12. Karnataka is the second safest state in South India, after Andhra Pradesh, and has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.
The data has been provided according to Crime in India – 2016 report by the NCRB.
13. The central government has decided to set up two examination centres in Kashmir Valley- Srinagar and Baramulla, for the 2018 post-graduate National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET).
14. Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli district was included in the National Capital Region (NCR), making it the 23rd district to be included in the region.
The NCR includes thirteen districts of Haryana, eight districts of UP, and two districts of Rajasthan.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. In the first meeting of Working Group BIMSTEC, member countries discussed draft text of BIMSTEC Coastal Shipping Agreement.
The objective of the agreement is to facilitate coastal shipping in the region to give a boost to trade between member countries.
2. Venezuela has launched its own cryptocurrency called Petro to circumvent US-led financial sanctions. It will be backed by the country’s vast natural resource reserves.
3. The International conference on climate change was held in Nepal.
It was titled Resilient Hindu Kush Himalaya: Developing Solutions towards a Sustainable Future for Asia.
Its purpose was to draw attention towards adverse effects of global warming in Hindu Kush mountain range.
4. India was re-elected to the Council of the International Maritime Organisation under Category B at an assembly in London.
India secured the second-highest number of votes (144) from member-countries, just after Germany’s 146.
5. The annual SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) Summit was held in Russia’s Sochi.
It discussed issues related to the regional security scenario including the situation in the Gulf and Afghanistan.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj represented India at the summit.
6. The Global Partnership Summit (GPS) 2017 was scheduled to be held at Aerocity, New Delhi from 11th to 14th December 2017.
It focused on clean energy, healthcare, infrastructure and logistics, energy, tourism, art and culture, agro-economy, banking and finance, education and skill development and information communication technology.
7. Japan will host a ministerial meeting of the UN Security Council on the 15th December 2017.
The meeting will focus on finding peaceful ways to pressure North Korea to halt its nuclear and ballistic missile tests and de-nuclearize the Korean peninsula.
8. 11th Annual MedTech Summit was organized in New Delhi, under Bio Design Programme.
The programme aims to train the next generation of medical technology innovators in the country.
9. UN Women in collaboration with Facebook inaugurated a two-day event in Mumbai entitled ‘We the Women’ to empower and recognize the magnificent contribution of women in our society.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. The CBDT has entered into 2 Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs) with the Netherlands.
These two APAs pertain to Electronics and Technology sectors of the economy.
It also covers international transactions that include Distribution, Provision of Business Support Services, Provision of Marketing Support Services etc.
2. India and Cuba have signed MoU for enhanced cooperation in the health sector.
It aims at exchange and training of medical doctors, officials, other health professionals and experts.
It also aims at providing assistance in the development of human resources, health services and setting up of healthcare facilities.
3. The Union Health Ministry and Rotary International India National PolioPlus have signed MoU for intensive efforts achieving the immunization target.
The MoU aims to provide collaborative support and accelerate efforts under Polio Eradication Programme, Routine Immunization including Mission Indradhanush.
4. The Maharashtra Government signed 34 MoUs with leading corporate houses to take ahead its ambitious project of social transformation of 1,000 villages across Maharashtra.
The move aims at benefiting more than 75 lakh people with a budget of INR 335 crore.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. CBDT has extended the date for linking Aadhaar with PAN till 31st of March 2018.
All taxpayers having Aadhaar Number or Enrolment Number are required to link the same with Permanent Account Number.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released the Fifth Bi-Monthly Policy 2017-18. The key policy rates are: –
Repo Rate- 6% (Unchanged)
Reverse Repo Rate- 5.75% (Unchanged)
Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) Rate- 6.25% (Unchanged)
Bank Rate- 6.25% (Unchanged)
Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR)- 4% (Unchanged)
Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)- 19.5% (Changed from 201% to 19.5%).
The Inflation forecast for the remainder of the current financial year was raised to 4.3-4.7 percent.
3. The Union Government has constituted a high-level committee headed by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant to address the problem of Non-Performing Assets (NPAs).
It comprises secretaries in the ministries of power, coal and department of financial services as its members.
4. Corporation Bank has launched its RuPay Select and RuPay Platinum Credit Cards.
These credit cards are accepted at all RuPay-enabled 1.5 million plus PoS terminals, 80,000 + e-commerce merchants in India and all ICS Partner acceptance points (POS, e-commerce merchants) globally.
5. International Ratings Agency Fitch has lowered the country’s GDP growth projection for 2017-18 to 6.7 percent.
According to Fitch’s December GEO, the agency reduced the growth forecast for the fiscal year to end-March 2018 (FY18) to 6.7 percent from 6.9 percent.
6. Federal Bank has launched a non-interest-bearing savings account targeting those whose beliefs do not permit them to accept interest payments.
The ‘Noor Personal Account’ was launched on Milad-e-sherif.
7. The government has engaged private sector bank ICICI, to enable online payments at 470 mandis integrated with the national portal of electronic National Agriculture Market (e-NAM).
8. After the merger of its five associate banks, State Bank of India has changed names and IFSC Code of nearly 1300 of its branches.
The bank has changed the names and IFSC codes of branches located in cities such as Mumbai, New Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Lucknow among others.
9. India’s 1 Rupee currency note completed 100 years on 30th November 2017.
First 1 Rupee note was printed in England and was issued in India on 30th November 1917.
Since its introduction, 1 Rupee note has undergone 28 design changes.
Bills [Amendments & New] – See How Many New Bills have been passed in 2017
1. Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly has unanimously passed Kapu Reservation Bill 2017 to provide 5% quota in education and employment.
The reservation to Kapu community will be given by including them in the Backward Classes list.
2. The Madhya Pradesh Assembly has unanimously passed Dand Vidhi (Madhya Pradesh Sanshodhan) Vidheyak 2017 that will see rapists of girls of 12 years or below being hanged till death.
With this, Madhya Pradesh becomes the first state where those convicted of such rapes will face the gallows.
3. Uttar Pradesh becomes the first state to endorse the Centre’s draft bill that makes instant triple talaq a cognizable and non-bailable offense.
As per the draft law, there will be three years’ imprisonment and a fine to a Muslim man trying to divorce his wife by uttering ‘talaq’ three times.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. The Combined Military exercise Ajeya Warrior- 2017 between India and the UK was held at Mahajan Field Firing Range near Bikaner of Rajasthan.
The objective of this exercise is to increase mutual cooperation and coordination between two countries.
2. The Surface to Air Missile (SAM) AKASH was successfully tested with indigenous radio frequency seeker against target UAV Banshee.
It was successfully launched from Launch Complex-III at ITR Chandipur.
3. Technology giant Google has launched Datally app that lets users control and monitor their data usage in real-time.
The app which is available to all Android users, lets users turn on the ‘Data Saver’ tab to block background data usage for the same purpose.
4. Kerala Electricity Minister has inaugurated India’s largest floating solar power plant at the Banasura Sagar dam in Wayanad district.
The plant, worth approximately INR 9.25 crore, floats on 6,000 square metres of water surface
With a capacity of 500 kilowatts, the plant comprises 1,938 solar panels and 17 inverters.
5. Google has launched the Two-wheeler mode on Maps in India, a feature which will show the fastest route and directions to two-wheeler riders to reach their entered destination.
The feature will be available alongside the Drive, Train or Bus, and Walk options.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|S. No.||Tournaments/Sports Names||Winners||Pictures|
|1.||2017 Ballon d’Or (Golden Ball)-World Player of the year||Cristiano Ronaldo|
|2.||World Youth Women’s Boxing Championship- Best Boxer Title||Ankushita Boro (Assam)|
|3.||South Asian Badminton Title||India|
|4.||Asian Luge Championships Gold Medalist||Shiva Keshavan|
|5.||Indoor Archery World Cup Bronze Medalist||Deepika Kumari (India)|
|6.||First Indian Captain to complete 1000 runs in a year twice||Virat Kohli|
|7.||Captain of India at 5th ODI World Cup Cricket Tournament for the Blind||Ajay Kumar Reddy|
|8.||The country which got banned from 2018 Winter Olympics||Russia|
|9.||IWF World Weightlifting Championships Player who set 3 National Records||Gurdeep Singh|
|10.||First Indian to win a gold medal at the World Para-Swimming Championship, Mexico||Kanchanmala Pande (Nagpur)|
|11.||ITF World Champions 2017 Winners||Rafael Nadal and Garbine Muguruza|
|12.||Hockey World League Final Tournament Bronze Medalist||India|
|13.||Host Country of Senior Women’s, Men’s Boxing World Championships||India|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S. No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||The country which was awarded Certificate of Commendation by CITES for its effort to combat illegal wildlife trade.||India|
|2.||Times’ Person of the Year for 2017||‘The Silence Breakers’ of #MeToo Movement|
|3.||Indian Festival which is recently Listed in UNESCO’s List of Intangible Cultural Heritage||Kumbh Mela|
|4.||World’s First 3D Sanskrit Film screened at IFFI||Anurakthi|
|5.||Miss Supranational 2017||Jenny Kim (Miss Korea)|
|6.||Cambridge dictionary’s ‘Word of the Year’||Populism|
|7.||International Children’s Peace Prize 2017||Mohamad Al Jounde from Syria (for his efforts to ensure the rights of Syrian refugee children.|
|8.||Star Screen Awards 2018
Best Film (Critics)
|Best Director||Nitesh Tiwari (Dangal)|
|Best Actress (Popular)||Vidya Balan (Tumhari Sulu)|
|Best Actress (Critics)||Konkana Sen Sharma (Lipstick Under My Burkha)|
|Best Actor (Critics)||Rajkumar Rao (Newton)|
|Best Actor (Popular)||Irrfan Khan (Hindi Medium)|
|Best Supporting Actor- Male||Rajkumar Rao (Bareily Ki Barfi)|
|Best Supporting Actor- Female||Neha Dhupia (Tumhari Sulu)|
|Best Playback Singer- Male||Arijit Singh (Raees and Jagga Jasoos)|
|Best Playback Singer- Female||Shashaa Tirupati (Shubh Mangal Savdhaan)|
|9.||Best Bank in India in the Asia Money Corporate Client Choice Survey 2017.||YES Bank|
|10.||Times’ Person of the Year based on readers’ poll||Mohammed bin Salman|
|11.||Second best UNESCO World Heritage Site||Taj Mahal|
|12.||Best Asian Film at Australian Gala||Dangal|
|13.||State which topped the list of crimes against women in 2016||Uttar Pradesh|
|14.||India’s Ranking in Global Entrepreneurship Index 2017||India ranks at 68th position among 137 countries|
|15.||Variety’s 500 Influential People List||Salman Khan and Priyanka Chopra topped among Indians|
|16.||Cultural Ambassador for Japanese City||Hello Kitty and Pokémon’s Pikachu|
|17.||Most-Instagrammed Indian Cities of 2017||New Delhi|
|18.||Safe Cities Index 2017||Delhi and Mumbai ranked 43 and 45 respectively|
|19.||2017 List of Most Followed Indians on Twitter||Prime Minister Narendra Modi|
|20.||Most Tweeted about Elected World Leader of 2017||Donald Trump|
|21.||Honorary Award at Dubai International Film Festival||Irrfan Khan (awarded for the incredible body of work of more than 80 films in India as well as his work in British films and Hollywood.)|
|22.||Yahoo India’s Most Searched Personality 2017||Prime Minister Narendra Modi|
|23.||UNESCO Intangible Heritage Status||Italy’s Pizza Toss|
|24.||FE Best Banks Awards: Best Nationalized Bank Award||State Bank of India|
|25.||Top Indian Actor of 2017 by IMDB||Shah Rukh Khan|
|26.||27th Vyas Samman||Mamta Kalia- Hindi Writer|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S. No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||Chairman of PNGRB||Dinesh K Sarraf|
|2.||DGOF and Chairman of Ordnance Factory Board||S K Chourasia|
|3.||Chairman of Prasar Bharati||A. Surya Prakash|
|4.||Player who resigns as boxing’s National Observer||Mary Kom|
|5.||Infosys’s new CEO and Managing Director||Salil S. Parekh (Capgemini executive)|
|6.||UN Environment Global Goodwill Ambassador||British singer-Ellie Goulding|
|7.||Actor who will promote Government’s Flagship Agri-Schemes||Akshay Kumar|
|8.||Next Ambassador of India to Turkmenistan||Azar A.H. Khan|
|9.||UN Environment Goodwill Ambassador for India||Día Mirza|
|10.||Delhi Chief Secretary||Anshu Prakash|
|11.||One97 Communications’ New Director||SoftBank’s Kabir Misra|
|12.||New Prime Minister of Poland||Mateusz Morawiecki|
|13.||Face of Water Conservation Campaign||Nawazuddin Siddiqui|
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||52nd Raising Day of BSF||1 December|
|2.||World AIDS Day||1 December|
|3.||Nagaland Statehood Day||1 December|
|4.||National Pollution Control Day||2 December|
|5.||World Computer Literacy Day||2 December|
|6.||International Day for the Abolition of Slavery||2 December|
|7.||International Day of Persons with Disabilities||3 December|
|8.||Navy Day||4 December|
|9.||World Soil Day||5 December|
|10.||International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development||5 December|
|11.||Indian Armed Force Flag Day||7 December|
|12.||International Civil Aviation Day||7 December|
|13.||International Anti-Corruption Day||9 December|
|14.||International Human Rights Day||10 December|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Shashi Kapoor- Veteran Bollywood Actor|
|2.||Adarsh Sein Anand- Former Chief Justice of India|
|3.||Sreerupa Mukherjee- Former India woman cricketer|
|4.||Saraswati Tripathy- Freedom fighter||Image not available|
|5.||Michael I, Romania’s former king|
|6.||Aadhithyan- Music Director, composed songs for Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu films|
List of Important Abbreviations asked in General Awareness | IBPS, SSC, RRB Exams
Fill up your knowledge cart with the Important Abbreviations that are asked in General Awareness & Current Affairs section of the competitive exams like – IBPS, SSC & RRB. Below, we are presenting you a list of Top Abbreviations that were used in this article. Please check it out –
|S. No.||Important Abbreviations||Full Forms|
|1.||FICCI||Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry|
|2.||AHWP||Asian Harmonization Working Party|
|3.||MSME||Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises|
|4.||CPSE||Central Public- Sector Enterprises|
|5.||HUA||Housing and Urban Affairs|
|6.||UPI||Unified Payments Interface|
|7.||BHIM||Bharat Interface for Money|
|8.||NCRB||National Crime Records Bureau|
|9.||BIMSTEC||Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation|
|10.||CBDT||Central Board of Direct Taxes|
|11.||RBI||Reserve Bank of India|
|12.||NITI||National Institute for Transforming India|
|13.||GEO||Global Economic Outlook|
|14.||ITF||International Tennis Federation|
|15.||ODI||One Day International|
|16.||IWF||International Weightlifting Federation|
|17.||UNESCO||United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization|
|18.||IFFI||International Film Festival of India|
|19.||IMDB||Internet Movie Data Base|
|20.||CITES||Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species|
|21.||PNGRB||Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board|
|22.||DGOF||Director General of Ordnance Factories|
|23.||BSF||Border Security Force|
|24.||POS||Point of Sale|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
Above in the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap, we have covered up all the major happenings of the country and the world to help you in boosting up your General Knowledge and Awareness.
Hope the article will be helpful to you. Please share your generous reviews & queries with us in the comments section below.
You may also like reading –