Read the Daily & Weekly Current Affairs and GK Updates Ques & Ans here. Get Free Access to Competitive Exams General Knowledge Quiz in GK Eduwrap.
It covers the Important Current Affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you to prepare confidently for the General Awareness Section in Popular Bank Exams & Government Exams.
We have catered the Important GK Updates from the major Current Affairs Categories below. Please have a look –
Are you ready to test your knowledge? Take this GK Quiz to check your preparation level!
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
|Bills [Amendments & New]|
To get the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. India’s military is placed at 4th rank among 133 countries on a global index on the basis of their global military prowess.
The US, Russia and China are on top three positions respectively.
India’s neighbour Pakistan ranks 13 on the Global Fire Power (GFP) list 2017.
2. A large-scale operational exercise Paschim Leher was conducted by the Western Naval Command of the Indian Navy in the Arabian Sea.
The three-week long exercise tested the operational readiness of the Western Naval Command and the execution of its operational plans.
3. The Odisha government has launched a scheme named “Khushi” to provide free sanitary napkins to school girls across the state, as a part of its initiatives to empower women.
Under the scheme, the state will provide free sanitary napkins to 17 lakh girls studying in Classes 6 to 12 in government and government-aided schools.
4. The first phase of world’s largest solar park Shakti Sthala was inaugurated in Tumkur district, Karnataka.
The solar park aims to generate 100 GigaWatts (GW) of solar power by 2020.
5. To create eight safe cities in India, the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has approved projects worth INR 2,919 crore under Nirbhaya Fund.
The safe cities to be created are Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Lucknow.
6. The headquarters of Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) has been shifted from Chennai to Ballabhgarh in Faridabad District of Haryana.
It was shifted for better coordination between the Environment Ministry and AWBI for carrying out the animal welfare activities.
7. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has participated in World ATM Congress (WATMC) 2018 held at IFEMA, Feria de Madrid, Spain.
World ATM Congress is the world’s largest international Air Traffic Management (ATM) exhibition and conference.
The AAI showcases its achievements and initiatives, through a stall at the conference.
8. The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has organized a Women’s Convention called Swachh Shakti 2018 at Lucknow on International Women’s Day.
8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachh grahis, 2000 Mahila samakhyas from Uttar Pradesh and women sarpanches from across the country have been invited to recognize their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat a reality in rural India.
9. The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) launched a portal for women entrepreneurs of India that is www.udyamsakhi.org, on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
The portal is a network for nurturing entrepreneurship and creating business models for low-cost products and services in order to empower women and make them self-reliant and self-sufficient.
10. The Indian Navy began an eight-day-long mega naval exercise named Milan along with leading maritime powers of the region at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
28 warships including 17 from India and 11 from Australia, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Thailand are participating in the 10th exercise.
11. The harnessing of solar energy has made Diu the country’s first energy surplus Union territory and a model for an effective way for people to harness this renewable energy source.
Diu generates a total of 13 megawatts of electricity from solar power generating facilities daily.
Around 3 MW is generated by rooftop solar plants and 10 MW by its other solar power plants.
12. President Ram Nath Kovind presented Nari Shakti Puraskars 2017 to 30 eminent individuals and 9 distinguished institutions at a special ceremony held on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
The Nari Shakti Puraskars are given in recognition of efforts in rendering distinguished service for the cause of women, especially vulnerable and marginalized women.
13. The Union Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers has launched a 100% Oxo-biodegradable Sanitary Napkin named Suvidha, under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).
It was launched by Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs Ananth Kumar on the occasion of International Woman’s day.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. The Marshall Islands in the Pacific Ocean is going to become the first country in the world to recognize cryptocurrency as its legal tender and adopt the transparent crypto monetary system.
The parliament of the island has passed a law to create the digital currency called Sovereign with symbol SOV to raise some hard cash to pay bills and boost the economy.
2. Iraq has become India’s top crude oil supplier after overtaking Saudi Arabia by supplying 38.9 Million Tons (MT) crude oil in the current financial year.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. India has signed various MoUs with Jordan during the visit of the King of Jordan to India. List of the MoUs is given below
MoU on Defence Cooperation.
Visa waiver for diplomatic and official passport holders.
Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP).
Manpower Cooperation Agreement.
MoU for cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine between India and Jordan.
MoU for setting up of the next generation Centre of Excellence (COE) in Jordan.
MoU for long-term supply of Rock Phosphate and Fertilizer/NPK.
Customs Mutual Assistance Agreement.
Twining Agreement between Agra and Petra (Jordan).
Cooperation between Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) and Jordan Media Institute (JMI).
MoU between Prasar Bharati and Jordan TV.
MoU between University of Jordan (UJ) and ICCR regarding setting up of a Hindi Chair at the University
2. Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) signed an MoU with the Airports Authority of India (AAI) for installing energy-efficient LED lights at airports, buildings and facilities owned by AAI across India.
EESL will make the entire upfront investment of INR 24.41 crore on the project.
The MoU is signed under the Buildings Energy Efficiency Programme (BEEP).
3. The Maharashtra government has tied up with Wikipedia to propagate the Marathi language and increase its online usage.
The state government made its announcement via a press release to declare March 1 as Marathi Language Day.
The agreement will help spreading the language across the globe and give Marathi-speaking people a single platform to interact.
4. The President of Vietnam signed some agreements with India in Economic, Agricultural and Nuclear field. List of Agreements signed during the visit of President of Vietnam to India.
MoU on Economic and Trade Cooperation.
Work Plan for the years 2018-2022 between the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam.
MoU on Cooperation between the Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership, India (GCNEP) and the Vietnam Atomic Energy Institute (VINATOM).
5. India, Bangladesh and Russia have signed a tripartite memorandum of understanding for cooperation in construction of Rooppur nuclear power plant near Dhaka, Bangladesh.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of an MoU between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
The MoU will strengthen the existing relationship between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
It will enable sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment.
The MoU will develop institutionalized linkage between the Public Service Commissions of two countries.
Bills [Amendments & New] – See How Many New Bills have been passed in 2018
1. The Union Cabinet has approved the introduction of Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2018 in Parliament by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
The bill aims to curb the practice of evading criminal prosecution by economic offenders (willful defaulters) who flee from country to evade clutches Indian law by remaining outside the jurisdiction of Indian courts.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved the Trafficking of Persons (Prevention, Protection and Rehabilitation) Bill, 2018 for introduction in the Parliament.
The bill addresses the issue of human trafficking from point of view of prevention, rescue and rehabilitation.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA) and creation of one post of Chairperson, three posts of full-time Members and one post of Secretary for NFRA.
The decision aims at formation of NFRA as an independent regulator for the auditing profession which is one of the key changes brought in by the Companies Act, 2013.
2. The shareholders of European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) have approved India’s candidature to the International Financial Institution as a 69th member of EBRD.
It will set a stage for an increase in joint investment with Indian companies in EBRD’s regions of operation.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. The Union Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change has launched a digital mobile application named Dr. Harsh Vardhan to transform environmental protection into a peoples’ movement.
The application focuses on his social & public activities and involvement of citizens in Green Good Deeds movement.
Some of the 500 Green Good Deeds listed in the Mobile Application include planting trees, saving energy, conserving water, use of public transport and promoting carpool.
2. Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) NAG was successfully fire-tested in desert conditions against two tank targets at different ranges and timings.
NAG ATGM has been developed by Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and flight tests have once again proved its capability.
With this, the developmental trials of the missile have been completed and it is now ready for induction.
3. The Telangana government has launched an m-Governance mobile application called T App Folio to help citizens with one point access to government services.
The Telangana government plans to bring on-board all mobile apps of its various departments to T App Folio over next 12 months.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|1.||World Sportsman of the Year 2017||Roger Federer|
|2.||First Indian Woman Wrestler to win Gold in Senior Asian Championship||Navjot Kaur|
|3.||Snooker Team World Cup Winner||India|
|4.||Gold Medal Winner at ISSF World Cup (Woman)||Manu Bhaker|
|5.||Silver Medal Winner at ISSF World Cup 2018||Anjum Moudgil|
|6.||Gold Medal Winner at ISSF World Cup (Man)||Shahzar Rizvi|
|7.||Rapid Event Winner at the 11th Tal Memorial Chess||Viswanathan Anand|
|8.||Azlan Shah Cup Hockey will be held at||Malaysia|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S.No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||World’s Largest Solar Park launched in||Karnataka|
|2.||Pride of Birmingham’ Award||Harry Athwal|
|3.||90th Academy (Oscar) Awards Ceremony was held at||Dolby Theater in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California|
|4.||Oscar Award for Best Picture||The Shape of Water|
|5.||Oscar Award for Best Director||Guillermo Del Toro (The Shape of Water)|
|6.||Oscar Award for Best Actor||Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)|
|7.||Oscar Award for Best Actress||Frances McDormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)|
|8.||The Largest Habitat of Irrawaddy Dolphins Globally||Chilika Lake|
|9.||India by the Nile Festival is going to be held at||Egypt|
|10.||Word’s First Hand-Painted Feature Film||Loving Vincent|
|11.||India’s Rank on a Global Index for its Military Strength||4th|
|12.||World’s Wealthiest Person as per Forbes’ 2018 World’s Billionaires List||Amazon founder Jeff Bezos|
|13.||Richest Indian as per Forbes’ 2018 World’s Billionaires List||Mukesh Ambani|
|14.||Which City placed on 47th spot in City Wealth Index according to Knight Frank Wealth Report 2018||Mumbai|
|15.||India’s Ranking in Mastercard Index of Women Entrepreneurs (MIWE)||52nd Rank|
|16.||Fastest Growing IT Services Brand in the World||Tata Consultancy Services|
|17.||India’s First Winner of the Pritzker Prize||Balkrishna Doshi|
|18.||Lifetime Achievement Award||Shatrughan Sinha|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S.No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||Group Chief Risk Officer of Punjab National Bank||A K Pradhan|
|2.||India’s Ambassador to Afghanistan||Vinay Kumar|
|3.||Higher Education Secretary||R Subrahmanyam|
|4.||Next Armenian President||Armen Sarkisian|
|5.||MD, CEO of SBI Life Insurance||Sanjeev Nautiyal|
|6.||Next CM of Meghalaya||Conrad Sangma|
|7.||Senator of Pakistan||Krishna Kumari Kohli|
|8.||Brand Ambassador of Gaming Platform Dream 11||Mahendra Singh Dhoni|
|9.||New Chief of Scotland Yard’s Counter-terrorism Unit||Neil Basu|
|10.||Who Quits as BCCI Junior Selection Chairman||Venkatesh Prasad|
|11.||New Chief Minister of Tripura||Biplab Deb|
|12.||New Chief Minister of Nagaland||Neiphiu Rio|
|13.||Uber India’s First Brand Ambassador||Virat Kohli|
|14.||First Woman as Combat Officer In ITBP||Prakriti|
|15.||UK Skills Ambassador||Sanjeev Gupta|
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||World Wild Life Day||3 March|
|2.||National Safety Day||4 March|
|3.||International Women’s Day||8 March|
|4.||World Kidney Day||8 March|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Arabinda Muduli – Noted Odia Bhajan Singer|
|2.||Prafulla Das – Noted Literateur|
|3.||Shammi – Bollywood and Television Actress|
|4.||Kanakalata Mohanti – Odia Writer|
|5.||T Thomas – Former Hindustan Unilever Chairman|
|6.||Pyarelal Wadali – Sufi Singer|
List of Important Abbreviations asked in General Awareness | IBPS, SSC, RRB Exams
Fill up your knowledge cart with the Important Abbreviations that are asked in General Awareness & Current Affairs section of the competitive exams like – IBPS, SSC & RRB. Below, we are presenting you a list of Top Abbreviations that were used in this article. Please check it out –
|S. No.||Important Abbreviations||Full Forms|
|3.||AWBI||Animal Welfare Board of India|
|4.||WATMC||World ATM Congress|
|5.||ATM||Air Traffic Management|
|6.||AAI||Airports Authority of India|
|7.||MSME||Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises|
|8.||PMBJP||Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana|
|10.||CEP||Cultural Exchange Programme|
|11.||COE||Centre of Excellence|
|12.||IIMC||Indian Institute of Mass Communication|
|13.||JMI||Jordan Media Institute|
|14.||UJ||University of Jordan|
|15.||ICCR||Indian Council for Cultural Relations|
|16.||EESL||Energy Efficiency Services Limited|
|17.||BEEP||Buildings Energy Efficiency Programme|
|18.||ICAR||Indian Council of Agricultural Research|
|19.||GCNEP||Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership|
|20.||VINATOM||Vietnam Atomic Energy Institute|
|21.||UPSC||Union Public Service Commission|
|22.||NFRA||National Financial Reporting Authority|
|23.||EBRD||European Bank for Reconstruction and Development|
|24.||ATGM||Anti-Tank Guided Missiles|
|25.||DRDO||Defence Research and Development Organization|
|26.||ISSF||International Shooting Sport Federation|
|27.||MIWE||Mastercard Index of Women Entrepreneurs|
|28.||ITBP||Indo-Tibetan Border Police|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
Above in the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap, we have covered up all the major happenings of the country and the world to help you in boosting up your General Knowledge and Awareness.
Hope the article will be helpful to you. Please share your generous reviews & queries with us in the comments section below.
Are you ready to test your knowledge? Take this GK Quiz to check your preparation level!
You may also like reading –