Read the Daily & Weekly Current Affairs and GK Updates Ques & Ans here. Get Free Access to Competitive Exams General Knowledge Quiz in GK Eduwrap.
It covers the Important Current Affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you to prepare confidently for the General Awareness Section in Popular Bank Exams & Government Exams.
We have catered the Important GK Updates from the major Current Affairs Categories below. Please have a look –
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
|Bills [Amendments & New]|
|Mergers & Acquisition Updates|
To get the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for continuation of centrally sponsored scheme National AYUSH Mission (NAM) from April 2017 to March 2020.
The government has finalized an outlay of INR 2400 crore over a 3-year period to provide cost-effective AYUSH services.
2. The CCEA has approved Capital Investment Subsidy amounting to INR 264.67 crore to four industrial units located in North Eastern Region (NER) including Sikkim.
It has been approved under Central Capital Investment Subsidy Scheme (CCISS), 2007 of North East Industrial Investment and Promotion Policy (NEIIPP), 2007.
3. Meghalaya became the first state in the country to operationalize The Meghalaya Community Participation and Public Services Social Audit Act, 2017.
It is a law that makes a social audit of government programmes and schemes, a part of government practice.
4. The NGT has imposed a complete ban on use, sale, purchase and storage of plastic items such as carry bags, plates and spoons in towns of Haridwar and Rishikesh till upper areas of Uttarkashi along the Ganga River in Uttarakhand.
The move was taken to tackle and prevent pollution of the Ganga.
5. National Workshop on Role of Sakhi One Stop Centres (OSCs) was held in New Delhi.
It provided the common platform to understand, discuss and deliberate on strengthening multisector response to address violence against women across the country.
6. The NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission launched the Atal Tinkering Lab’s Community Day in New Delhi.
The initiative is aimed at maximizing the impact of Atal Tinkering Labs by extending innovation to children in the community who do not have access to the formal educational institutions.
7. Rajasthan has become the first state in India to launch free email addresses in Hindi for its residents.
The facility will be available at firstname.lastname@example.org (in Devanagari script).
The initiative aims to ensure maximum participation of people towards e-governance and ensure that maximum government facilities are available in vernacular languages.
8. The Bihar Government has launched Safe City Surveillance Scheme for tracking crime against women.
It aims to bring all major public places under the watch of CCTV cameras and improve overall crime control in the state.
9. The Union Ministry launched LaQshya Initiative and mHealth: Safe Delivery Application on the occasion of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) Day.
The ministry also released operational guidelines for obstetric high dependency units and intensive care units.
10. The Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports will soon launch Khelo India programme for period 2017-18 to 2019-20 at cost of INR 1756 crore.
The programme aims at mainstreaming sports as a tool for individual development, community development, economic development and national development.
11. The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of the existing Non-Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR) scheme with funding pattern of 90:10 till March 2020.
The outlay of INR 5300.00 crore has been proposed for the scheme.
12. The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, laid the foundation stone of the Nyaya Gram project of the High Court of Allahabad in Allahabad.
13. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 60 MW Tuirial Hydropower Project in Aizawl.
It is the first large hydropower project in Mizoram which will boost the socio-economic development of the state.
14. The J&K Government has launched SAUBHAGYA (Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojna) with an aim to provide free electricity connections to poor people in the state.
SAUBHAGYA, an initiative taken by the prime minister, seeks to provide electricity to 4 crore families across the country by December 2018.
15. The Government extended the deadline for linking of Aadhar with bank accounts to 31st March 2018.
16. Rajasthan Government has increased the age limit to apply for top government jobs from 35 to 40 years.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. The 8th edition of India and Maldives bilateral military exercise EKUVERIN 2017 was held in India in Belagavi, Karnataka.
The aim of the exercise was to conduct military training between armies of both countries with emphasis on counter-insurgency, counter-terrorism operations (CICT Ops).
2. The 4th India-Australia-Japan Trilateral Dialogue was hosted by India in New Delhi.
The three sides highlighted the growing convergence of their respective countries’ interests in Indo-Pacific region.
3. India and Australia held their first ‘2+2 dialogue’ in New Delhi and highlighted the need to maintain Asia-Pacific region as a free and open zone.
The 2+2 dialogue model between both countries included foreign and defence secretaries.
4. The 7th International Ground Water Conference (IGWC-2017) was hosted by India in New Delhi from 11th to 13th December 2017.
The theme of the conference was Ground Water Vision 2030- Water Security, Challenges and Climate Change Adaptation.
5. The ASEAN–India Connectivity Summit (AICS) was held in New Delhi.
The theme of the summit was Powering Digital and Physical Linkages for Asia in the 21st Century.
6. The 11th World Trade Organization (WTO) Ministerial Conference (MC11) was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The biggest takeaway from the conference was the commitment from members to secure a deal on fisheries subsidies.
Merger and Acquisition | Stay Updated with Insights of Major Companies & Organizations
1. FundsIndia.com has partnered with YES BANK to launch Unified Payments Interface (UPI) on their Android app for mutual fund payments.
FundsIndia becomes the first online mutual fund distributor to support UPI for client payments.
Bills [Amendments & New] – See How Many New Bills have been passed in 2017
1. The Union Cabinet has approved National Medical Commission Bill, 2017.
It will replace the Medical Council, 1956 Act and enable a forward movement in medical education reform.
The bill is aimed at bringing reforms in the medical education sector of the country which has been under scrutiny for corruption and unethical practices.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. The Union Cabinet approved the establishment of International Training Centre for Operational Oceanography (ITCOO), as a Category-2 Centre (C2C) of UNESCO, in Hyderabad, Telangana.
The purpose of this agreement is to establish training centre towards the development of capacity for countries on Indian Ocean Rim (IOR), African countries bordering Indian and Atlantic Oceans, small island countries under the framework of UNESCO.
2. India and Morocco have signed MoU for enhanced cooperation in the health sector. The main areas of cooperation under MoU are: –
Maternal, child and neonatal health.
Hospital twinning for the exchange of good practices.
Drug Regulation and Pharmaceutical quality control.
Training in administration and management of health services and Hospitals
Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) including child cardiovascular diseases and cancer.
3. DCI and NHAI have signed a MoU for facilitating the supply of sand for highways construction work.
The MoU aims to fill sand supply gap by facilitating the availability of sand for concessionaires working on highways projects who were facing the shortage of sand at many sites.
4. India and Morocco have signed four agreements for cooperation in Water Resources, Road and Marine Sectors. MoUs /Agreements signed are: –
MoU on cooperation in the field of Water Resources.
Agreement to establish cooperation between Indian Maritime University (IMU) and Higher Institute of Maritime Studies (ISEM) of Morocco.
Framework Agreement for Cooperation in Training between National Ports Agency (NPA) of Morocco and Indian Maritime University (IMU).
Cooperation Framework Agreement between Institute of Training in Engines and Road Maintenance of Morocco (IFEER) and Indian Academy of Highway Engineers (IAHE).
5. India will host 3rd Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) in Mumbai, Maharashtra in June 2018.
In this regard, Union Government and AIIB Secretariat have signed MoU to delineate duties and responsibilities of major stakeholders who would be involved in organizing the aforesaid Annual Meeting.
The theme of the annual meeting is Mobilizing Finance for Infrastructure: Innovation and Collaboration.
6. The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has signed an implementation agreement with German firm GIZ GmbH.
The main objective of these projects is to improve planning and implementation of sustainable urban transport.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. The Union Cabinet has decided that Government will bear Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) charges on transactions up to INR 2,000 made through debit cards, BHIM UPI or Aadhaar-enabled payment systems (AePS) to promote digital transactions.
It will be for two years with effect from 1st January 2018 by reimbursing the same to the banks.
2. The Union Government has signed US $250 million loan agreement with World Bank for SANKALP Project to support livelihood.
The closing date for the project is 31st March 2023.
3. The Indian Economy will grow at 2% in 2018 and accelerate to 7.4% in 2019 according to a UN report.
The report also forecast that inflation in India will be 5% in 2018 and 4.8% in 2019.
4. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed INR 3 crore penalty on IndusInd Bank for breaching rules on income classification norms.
The penalty was imposed after the regulator observed a violation of various regulations issued by the RBI on non-performing loans and extension of non-fund based limits.
5. The Goods and Service Tax (GST) Council at its 24th meeting decided to make electronic permits compulsory for inter-state movement of goods from 1st February 2018.
It will also help the tax authorities to monitor the cross-border movement of consignments and check instances of under-valuation of goods.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has commissioned Scorpene-class submarine INS Kalvari into the Indian Navy in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
It is first of the six Scorpene-class submarines built under the strategic Project 75 built by Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) with assistance and technology transfer from France’s DCNS.
2. The ISRO is developing Small Satellite Launch Vehicles to launch low-cost small satellites.
The small launch vehicle will be able to put satellites of up to 500-600 kg in orbits close to the Earth.
3. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a door-to-door campaign for 15-days in the country for early diagnosis, detection and treatment of tuberculosis (TB) to eliminate the disease.
The objective of this campaign is to detect the missed-out cases by going to every household.
4. The Union Ministry of Railways has introduced the Indian Railways E-Procurement System (IREPS), an online bill tracking system for vendors and contractors.
It aims to enhance transparency in the processing and settlement of bills by increasing use of information technology.
5. A petition website ‘Speak For Me’ has been launched to keep the records of the complaints against receiving continuous Aadhar-linking calls and texts.
The portal allows users to select the recipient like banks and mobile operators and directly send the petition in the form of an email.
6. Mumbai Metro launched a new security app ‘Secucare’, which can be downloaded on Android and IOS platforms.
Through the app, commuters can raise an alarm in case of any problem.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|S. No.||Tournaments/Sports Names||Winners||Pictures|
|1.||Host City of India Open Boxing Tournament 2018||New Delhi|
|2.||Men’s Hockey World League Title Winner||Australia|
|3.||Asian Boxing Confederation’s best youth boxer of the year||Sachin Siwach|
|4.||World’s Highest-Paid Athlete of All Time||Michael Jordan|
|5.||BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year||Roger Federer|
|6.||The Country which hosted first International Wheelchair Cricket Tournament||Nepal|
|7.||Host Country of 2023 Cricket World Cup||India|
|8.||Official emblems of Beijing 2022 Winter Games||Winter Dream, Flying High|
|9.||61st National Shooting Championship Gold Medalist in the Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions||Anjum Moudgil|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S. No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||2017 Speed test Global Index (SGI)||India ranked 109th out of 122 countries in the mobile internet speed and 76th out of 133 countries in broadband space|
|2.||2017 Nobel Peace Prize||International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN)|
|3.||UK’s New Highest Peak||Mount Hope|
|4.||Global Prosperity Index 2017||India ranked 100|
|5.||India’s first Energy-Efficient Railway Station||Kacheguda (Hyderabad)|
|6.||Indian City to become ‘beggar-free’ city||Hyderabad|
|7.||2017 List of Most Expensive Office Location in the World||India’s Delhi-NCR ranked 84th|
|8.||Waste Management System included in UNEP Top 5 Models||Kerala’s ‘zero-waste’ Alappuzha|
|9.||Finest Education Minister Award||Manish Sisodia|
|10.||Recipient of 2017 Yeraringan Award||M.S. Swaminathan|
|11.||Indian Film awarded in Vancouver Film Festival||The School Bag|
|12.||Bollywood Actress who awarded Mother Teresa Memorial Award||Priyanka Chopra|
|13.||Recipient of UN’s Power of One Award||Lakshmi Puri (India)|
|14.||Peter England Mr. India World 2017||Jitesh Singh Deo (Lucknow)|
|15.||Recipient of 31st Moortidevi Award||Joy Goswami (Bengali Poet)|
|16.||Recipient of Shrilal Shukla Smriti IFFCO Sahitya Samman||Ramdev Dhurandhar|
|17.||Word of the Year by Oxford Dictionaries||Youthquake|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S. No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||RBI’s New Executive Director||Uma Shankar|
|2.||New Congress President||Rahul Gandhi|
|3.||Ambassador of India to Kuwait||K. Jeeva Sagar|
|4.||New IOA President||Narinder Batra (FIH Chief)|
|5.||Executive Vice-Chairman of Dvara Trust||Samir Shah (MD & CEO of NCDEX)|
|6.||Vodafone India’s New CFO||Manish Dawar|
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||Universal Health Coverage Day||12 December|
|2.||National Energy Conservation Day||14 December|
|3.||International Tea Day||15 December|
|4.||Vijay Diwas||16 December|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Lalji Singh – Father of DNA fingerprinting in India|
|2.||Neeraj Vora- Bollywood’s Actor-Director|
|3.||Kartik Narayan- Chennai Based Industrialist|
List of Important Abbreviations asked in General Awareness | IBPS, SSC, RRB Exams
Fill up your knowledge cart with the Important Abbreviations that are asked in General Awareness & Current Affairs section of the competitive exams like – IBPS, SSC & RRB. Below, we are presenting you a list of Top Abbreviations that were used in this article. Please check it out –
|S. No.||Important Abbreviations||Full Forms|
|1.||CCEA||Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs|
|2.||CCISS||Central Capital Investment Subsidy Scheme|
|3.||NEIIPP||North East Industrial Investment and Promotion Policy|
|4.||NGT||National Green Tribunal|
|5.||NITI||National Institute of Transforming India|
|6.||IREPS||Indian Railways E-Procurement System|
|8.||ASEAN||Association of Southeast Asian Nations-India|
|9.||WTO||World Trade Organization|
|10.||UPI||Unified Payments Interface|
|11.||RBI||Reserve Bank of India|
|12.||DCI||Dredging Corporation of India|
|13.||NHAI||National Highways Authority of India|
|14.||UHC||Universal Health Coverage|
|15.||ODI||One Day International|
|16.||AIIB||Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank|
|17.||UNESCO||United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization|
|18.||MDR||Merchant Discount Rate|
|19.||BHIM||Bharat Interface for Money|
|20.||SANKALP||Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion|
|21.||ISRO||Indian Space and Research Organisation|
|22.||BBC||British Broadcasting Corporation|
|23.||ICAN||International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons|
|24.||UNEP||United Nations Environment Programme|
|25.||IFFCO||Indian Farmers Fertilizer Cooperative|
|26.||IOA||Indian Olympic Association|
|27.||FIH||International Hockey Federation|
|28.||NCDEX||National Commodity and Derivatives Exchange|
|29.||CFO||Chief Financial Officer|
|30.||NLCPR||Non-Lapsable Central Pool of Resources|
|31.||SAUBHAGYA||Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojna|
|32.||IGWC||International Ground Water Conference|
|33.||AICS||ASEAN–India Connectivity Summit|
|34.||ITCOO||International Training Centre for Operational Oceanography|
|35.||IMU||Indian Maritime University|
|36.||ISEM||Higher Institute of Maritime Studies|
|37.||NPA||National Ports Agency|
|38.||IFEER||Institute of Training in Engines and Road Maintenance of Morocco|
|39.||IAHE||Indian Academy of Highway Engineers|
|40.||MoHUA||Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs|
|41.||AePS||Aadhaar-enabled payment systems|
|42.||GST||Goods and Services Act|
|43.||MDL||Mazagon Dock Limited|
|45.||SGI||Speed test Global Index|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
Above in the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap, we have covered up all the major happenings of the country and the world to help you in boosting up your General Knowledge and Awareness.
Hope the article will be helpful to you. Please share your generous reviews & queries with us in the comments section below.
You may also like reading –