Read the Daily & Weekly Current Affairs and GK Updates Ques & Ans here. Get Free Access to Competitive Exams General Knowledge Quiz in GK Eduwrap.
It covers the Important Current Affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you to prepare confidently for the General Awareness Section in Popular Bank Exams & Government Exams.
We have catered the Important GK Updates from the major Current Affairs Categories below. Please have a look –
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
|Mergers & Acquisition Updates|
To get the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Center for learning Sanskrit language in Gujarat University in Ahmedabad.
The center will offer a six-month course for people on how to speak the language.
2. The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, hosted an LPG Panchayat organized by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
The aim of LPG Panchayat is to provide a platform for LPG consumers to interact with each other, promote mutual learning and share experiences.
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas intends to conduct 1 lakh such Panchayats across India before March 31, 2019.
3. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated the 8th Global Theatre Olympics at the majestic Red Fort in New Delhi.
This Global Theatre Festival is being held in India for the first time.
The 51 days long event is scheduled in 17 Indian cities with 450 shows, 600 ambience performances and 250 power packed youth forum shows.
4. Meghalaya Governor Ganga Prasad has inaugurated the Friendship Gate constructed near Integrated Check Post, 90 km South of capital Shillong on border with Bangladesh.
The aim of the construction of this Friendship Gate is to have a Wagah-like beating retreat ceremony for the Indian and Bangladesh border guards.
5. The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has inaugurated the World Sustainable Development Summit 2018 (WSDS) at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
WSDS is the flagship forum of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and seeks to bring together on a common platform, global leaders and thinkers in the fields of sustainable development, energy and environment sectors.
The theme of the Summit this year is ‘Partnerships for a Resilient Planet’.
6. Maharashtra government will be setting up country’s first institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Mumbai.
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has unveiled the plan for the institute during the Magnetic Maharashtra Summit.
7. The West Bengal became the first state to opt out of Centre’s National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS) which was announced in Union Budget 2018-19.
According to State Government, it has made hospitalization and medical treatment free for its citizens.
The Maharashtra government has already enrolled 50 lakh people under its Swasthya Sathi programme.
8. The India has organized a tri-service maritime exercise ‘Paschim Lehar’ at India’s western coast
The aim of the exercise is to build interoperability between Indian Navy, Indian Army, Indian Air Force and Coast Guard.
This exercise includes participation of large number of ships, submarines and aircraft from Western Naval Command of Indian Navy and units from Eastern Naval Command, Indian Army, Air Force and Coast Guard.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation of a Hindu Temple from the Dubai Opera House via video conferencing.
The temple will be the first to be built in Abu Dhabi, the capital of UAE which is home to a huge Indian migration.
The UAE has two Hindu temples which are located in Dubai.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. India and Palestine have signed six MoUs in different areas including health and education.
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas were signed MoUs after bilateral talks at Ramallah. The MoUs are signed:
For setting up of India-Palestine Super-specialty hospital at Beit Sahour in Bethlehem Governorate at a cost of US $ 30 million.
For construction of India Palestine Center for Empowering women in Turathi at a cost of US $ 5 million.
For setting up of new National Printing Press at Ramallah at a cost of US $ 5 million.
For construction of school in Muthalath Al Shuhada Village at a cost of US $ 1 million.
For Construction of school in Tamoon village in Tubas Governorate in Palestine at a cost of US $ 1.1 million.
Assistance of US $ 0.25 million for construction of additional floor to Jawahar Lal Nehru for Boys at Abu Dees.
2. Punjab National Bank has signed an agreement with National e-Governance Services Limited for information utility to expand the information infrastructure in India.
The agreement will enable storing of financial information that will help substantiate defaults and verify claims expeditiously.
This will in turn facilitate resolution in the National Company Law Tribunal in a time bound manner.
3. PM Narendra Modi has signed 8 MoUs on the occasion of the visit to Oman as given below:
Agreement on Legal and Judicial Cooperation in Civil and Commercial matter.
MoU on mutual visa exemption for holders of diplomatic, Special, service and official passports.
MoU on Cooperation in the field of health.
MoU on Cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space.
Agreement on Cooperation between Foreign Service Institute, Ministry of External Affairs, India and Oman Diplomatic Institute.
MoU on Academic and Scholarly cooperation sectors between National Defence College Sultanate of Oman and the Institute for Defence Studies and the Analyses.
Agreement in the field of Tourism cooperation between India and Oman.
Annexure to the MoU on Military Cooperation.
4. To provide accounting and banking on an integrated platform, software company Zoho has tied up with private lender ICICI Bank.
The partnership will deliver a streamlined digital banking experience to customers using Zoho’s cloud accounting software, ‘Zoho Books’.
This will also help businesses eliminate data entry, automate reconciliation, provide multiple payment options to their customers, request working capital loans, and pay suppliers directly from their accounting platform.
5. A loan agreement was signed between Government of India and the New Development Bank (NDB) for financing of Rajasthan Water Sector Restructuring Project for the Desert Areas.
The objective of this project is to rehabilitate the 678 km long Indira Gandhi Canal system to prevent seepage, conserve water, and enhance water use efficiency as mandated by both national and state level policies on water use.
6. Botanical Survey of India (BSI) and Natural History Museum (NHM), UK have signed a MoU for cooperation in the field of genetic/taxonomic studies, research and training, conservation in India, including species and habitat conservation assessments, etc.
NHM will help BSI in capacity building in areas of systematic botany and long-term conservation of plant genetic resources in India.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. Bank of Baroda will shut down its operation in South Africa due to a development that comes within months of the South African Reserve Bank imposing a fine of R11 million for lapses in compliance.
The Registrar, which is part of the South African Reserve Bank (SARB), is in discussions with the Bank of Baroda to ensure its orderly withdrawal from South Africa so that no depositor is disadvantaged.
Merger and Acquisition | Insights of Major Companies & Organizations
1. Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) led consortium of Indian state oil firms have acquired 10% stake in Abu Dhabi’s offshore Lower Zakum Concession for $600 million.
The acquisition is part of deal inked between company executives and UAE officials in presence of PM Narendra Modi and Abu Dhabi crown prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan in Abu Dhabi.
2. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister has approved capital acquisition of 7.4 lakh assault rifles, 17,000 light machine guns, 5,719 sniper rifles and Mareech Advanced Torpedo Decoy Systems (ATDS) for Indian Navy.
DAC is Defence Ministry’s highest decision-making body on procurement.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. India’s first online radio station, Radio Umang has been launched that allows the listener to just download and tune in.
Listeners can tune in to this online radio station through web streaming or download the app.
With 24 hours programming, it has found that listeners in Hindi speaking regions of India and in over 60 countries worldwide.
2. Scientists from Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) have discovered three new species of eel along northern Bay of Bengal coast. They are:
Gymnothorax pseudotile: It was discovered at the Digha coast of the Bay of Bengal. It has dark brown and white dots on the dorsal side. It is about 1 feet to 1.5 feet long.
Gymnothorax visakhaensis: It was discovered from the Visakhapatnam coast of the Bay of Bengal. It is uniformly brown and about a foot long.
Enchelycore propinqua: It was also discovered from Visakhapatnam coast. It is reddish brown body mottled with irregular creamy white spots. It is the smallest of three measuring less than a foot.
3. Scientists from the Rockefeller University in New York have discovered a new class of antibiotics called Malacidins.
It has been produced by microorganisms living in soil and dirt and is capable of killing off several antibiotic-resistant pathogens.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|S. No.||Tournaments/Sports Names||Winners||Pictures|
|1.||Senior Women’s National Football Championship Winner||Tamil Nadu|
|2.||Oldest ATP World Number One Player||Roger Federer|
|3.||13th National Chess Championship for Blind Winner||Kishan Gangolli|
|4.||First Asian to Swim across Ocean Seven||Rohan More|
|5.||1st Indian Golfer to Qualify for China LPGA Tour||Sharmila Nicollet|
|6.||Highest Run Scorer in T20I Cricket||Martin Guptill|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S. No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||Jnanpith Award||Hindi writer Krishna Sobti|
|2.||Mo Ibrahim African leadership prize||Ellen Johnson Sirleaf|
|3.||12th Richest City Globally according to New World Wealth||Mumbai|
|4.||First Raj Kapoor Award||Ramesh Sippy|
|5.||World Government Summit 2018 will be held in||Dubai, UAE|
|6.||Allan Border Medal Award||Steve Smith|
|7.||World’s Most Ethical Company 2018||Tata Steel|
|8.||3rd International exhibition and conference on Pharmaceutical & Medical Device will be held at||Bengaluru|
|9.||Startup of the Year 2017||Milkbasket|
|10.||Best Government Emerging Technologies Award||Aadhaar|
|11.||Best m-Government Service Award||Umang App|
|12.||Earnest Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year 2017||Sanjiv Bajaj, Managing Director, Bajaj Finserv|
|13.||Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Summit will be held in||Qingdao, China|
|14.||National Award for Contribution in the Field of Science, Technology and Communication||Raghbir Singh Khandpur|
|15.||Scientific and Engineer Award||Vikas Sathaye|
|16.||Grand Collar of the State of Palestine||Prime Minister Narendra Modi|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S. No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||Private Banking Head of HDFC Bank||Rakesh Singh|
|2.||President of Bangladesh||Abdul Hamid|
|3.||President of Sahitya Akademi||Chandrashekhara Kambara|
|4.||Next Ambassador of India to Brazil||Ashok Das|
|5.||Who Resigned as President of South Africa||Jacob Zuma|
|6.||Who Resigned as Prime Minister of Ethiopia||Hailemariam Desalegn|
|7.||Prime Minister of Nepal||K P Sharma Oli|
|8.||President of South Africa||Cyril Ramaphosa|
|9.||Chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR)||Arvind P. Jamkhedkar
Archaeologist and Historian
|10.||Reappointed as Bank of Japan Chief||Haruhiko Kuroda|
|11.||Best Minister in the World Award||Mulyani Indrawati
Indonesia’s Finance Minister
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||National Productivity Day||12 February|
|2.||World Radio Day||13 February|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Chandrasekhar Rath – Noted Litterateur|
|2.||Asma Jehangir – Pakistan’s Iron Lady (Top lawyer and human rights activist)|
|3.||Bolla Bulli Ramaiah – Former Union Minister|
List of Important Abbreviations asked in General Awareness | IBPS, SSC, RRB Exams
Fill up your knowledge cart with the Important Abbreviations that are asked in General Awareness & Current Affairs section of the competitive exams like – IBPS, SSC & RRB. Below, we are presenting you a list of Top Abbreviations that were used in this article. Please check it out –
|S. No.||Important Abbreviations||Full Forms|
|1.||WSDS||World Sustainable Development Summit|
|2.||TERI||The Energy and Resources Institute|
|4.||NHPS||National Health Protection Scheme|
|5.||UAE||United Arab Emirates|
|6.||NDB||New Development Bank|
|7.||BSI||Botanical Survey of India|
|8.||NHM||Natural History Museum|
|9.||SARB||South African Reserve Bank|
|10.||ONGC||Oil and Natural Gas Corporation|
|11.||DAC||Defence Acquisition Council|
|12.||ZSI||Zoological Survey of India|
|13.||ATP||Association of Tennis Professionals|
|14.||LPGA||Ladies Professional Golf Association|
|15.||SCO||Shanghai Cooperation Organization|
|16.||HDFC||Housing Development Finance Corporation|
|17.||ICHR||Indian Council of Historical Research|
|18.||WSDS||World Sustainable Development Summit|
|19.||LPG||Liquefied Petroleum Gas|
|20.||ATDS||Advanced Torpedo Decoy Systems|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
Above in the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap, we have covered up all the major happenings of the country and the world to help you in boosting up your General Knowledge and Awareness.
Hope the article will be helpful to you. Please share your generous reviews & queries with us in the comments section below.
You may also like reading –