Read the Weekly Current Affairs and GK Updates Ques & Ans here. Get Free Access to Competitive Exams General Knowledge Quiz in GK Eduwrap.
It covers the Important Current Affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you to prepare confidently for the General Awareness Section in Popular Bank Exams & Government Exams.
We have catered the Important GK Updates from the major Current Affairs Categories below. Please have a look –
Are you ready to test your knowledge? Take this GK Quiz to check your preparation level!
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
|Bills [Amendments & New]|
To get the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. The Ministry of Civil Aviation and Airport Authority of India and FICCI has jointly organized a four-day biennial event WINGS INDIA 2018 in Hyderabad.
This event is a platform for interactions, forging alliances, investments and air connectivity between the States and the global aviation players & stakeholders.
The theme of the four-day biennial event this year is ‘India-Global Aviation Hub’.
2. In terms of utilizing funds under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) and allotting jobs, West Bengal has become the best performing State.
According to the statistics, West Bengal generated more than 28.21 crore work days under the scheme so far in 2017-18 and spent more than INR 7,335.31 crore for it.
Tamil Nadu occupied the second spot with 22.17 crore work days and spent INR 5,981.75 crore on that.
3. Tata Motors and Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) have begun the country’s first demonstration trials for a hydrogen fuel cell bus.
The project is being executed under partial financial support from the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE).
4. According to a survey conducted by Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy, Pune has emerged as the top city to show improvement in the quality of governance.
The other cities that came in the top five are Kolkata, Thiruvananthapuram, Bhubaneswar and
5. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a program ‘LaQshya’ to improve quality of care for pregnant women in labour room and maternity Operation Theatre, Intensive Care Units (ICUs) and High Dependency Units (HDUs).
The program will benefit every pregnant woman and new-born delivering in public health institutions.
‘LaQshya’ will reduce maternal and newborn morbidity & mortality and improve quality of care during delivery and immediate post-partum period and also enhance the satisfaction of beneficiaries to provide Respectful Maternity Care (RMC) to all pregnant women attending public health facilities.
6. The Government of India is going to formulate a Scheme ‘Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (KUSUM)’ which will provide various facilities to farmers as follows:
Installation of grid-connected solar power plants each of capacity up to 2 MW in the rural areas.
Installation of standalone off-grid solar water pumps to fulfill irrigation needs of farmers not connected to the grid.
Solarization of existing grid-connected agriculture pumps to make farmers independent of grid supply and also enable them to sell surplus solar power generated to DISCOM and get extra income.
Solarization of tube-wells and lift irrigation projects of the Government
7. The Government has proposed Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABHY) aimed at sustainable groundwater management with community participation to detect over-exploited and ground water-stressed areas.
ABHY Yojana will be implemented with assistant of World Bank in seven states that are Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
8. India-United Kingdom (UK) Joint Team has won Newton-Bhabha Fund for the project on Groundwater Arsenic Research in Ganga River Basin.
The project was undertaken by Department of Science and Technology (DST) in collaboration with Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), UK to find solutions to water challenges faced in pervasively arsenic-affected Ganga River Basin.
9. NITI Aayog has released a project named ‘SATH-E’ to introduce System-wide Governance Transformation in School Education.
NITI Aayog released comprehensive roadmaps and detailed timelines for its initiative ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education (SATH-E)’ project.
10. 8th Theatre Olympics, the largest international theatre festival was co-hosted in Jaipur, India by National School of Drama (NSD) under the sponsorship of Ministry of Culture in collaboration with Ravindra Manch Society and Art & Culture Department, Rajasthan Government.
The festival will provide a platform to a number of folk art forms and theatre performers from the state.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. China has decided to abolish the term limit of the president and vice president that how long its leader can serve. It will allow current President Xi to serve the country indefinitely.
Until now, presidents had been limited to two consecutive terms.
2. The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the World Hindi Secretariat building on the third day of his visit to Mauritius.
He also launched the World Hindi Secretariat’s logo and a large ENT hospital being built with Indian assistance.
Apart from India, Mauritius is the only country where this conference is being hosted for the third
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. President of France, Emmanuel Macron has signed various agreements during the visit to India. The list of agreements between France and India is given below:
Agreement on the Prevention of Illicit Consumption and Reduction of Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs, Psychotropic Substances and Chemical Precursors and Related Offences.
Migration and Mobility Partnership Agreement.
Agreement to facilitate Mutual Recognition of Academic Qualifications.
MoU between Ministry of Railways and SNCF Motilities, France on technical cooperation in the field of Railways.
Letter of Intent for the creation of a permanent Indo-French Railways Forum.
Agreement regarding the provision of reciprocal logistics support between their Armed Forces.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and France on cooperation in the field of Environment.
Agreement on cooperation in the field of Sustainable Urban Development.
Agreement regarding the exchange and reciprocal protection of classified or protected information.
Implementing Arrangement between Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and Central National D’Etudes Spatiales (CNES) for pre-formulation studies of a Maritime Awareness Mission.
Industrial Way Forward Agreement between Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd, and EDF, France.
Bilateral Arrangement on cooperation in the matter of Hydrography and Maritime Cartography.
Credit Facility Agreement of Euros 100 million for funding of the Smart City Projects through a Challenge Process.
MoU between National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE), Ministry of New & Renewable Energy and the National Solar Energy Institute (INES), France.
2. European Investment Bank (EIB) and Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) Ltd. have signed a loan agreement for the second line of credit (LoC) of Euro 150 million on the non-sovereign
The line of credit will be used for financing Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency projects in India.
More than 1.1 million households are expected to benefit from clean energy produced with these funds.
3. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has signed an MoU with Reserve Bank of India for increased cooperation in the effective implementation of insolvency law.
The MoU will help in sharing of information, subject to limitations imposed by applicable laws and sharing of resources available with each other to the extent feasible and legally permissible.
4. The Union Cabinet has approved an MoU inked between India and Sri Lanka for promoting cooperation in the field of Information Technology and Electronics (IT&E).
The MoU was signed in January 2018 during the visit of Minister of Electronics & Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad to Sri Lanka.
5. The Union Cabinet has approved an agreement between India and Iran for Avoidance of Double Taxation and Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to taxes on income.
The agreement will stimulate the flow of investment, technology and personnel from India to Iran & vice versa and prevent double taxation.
6. The Government of India has signed a $120 million loan agreement with Asian Development Bank (ADB) for completion of works for double-tracking and electrification of railways tracks along high-density corridors to improve the operational efficiency of Indian railways.
The loan amount will be used to complete the ongoing works commenced under earlier tranches.
7. The Odisha government will collaborate with Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System (RIMES) for strengthening its early warning services and enhancing preparedness for management of hazards in the state.
The partnership will be forged between Odisha State Disaster Mitigation Authority (OSDMA) and RIMES in the field of drought monitoring and early warning for different natural disasters.
RIMES is already working with the Tamil Nadu State Disaster Management Authority.
Bills [Amendments & New] – See How Many New Bills have been passed in 2018
1. The Rajasthan Legislative Assembly has passed the Criminal Laws (Rajasthan Amendment) Bill, 2018 providing for death penalty for convicts involved in the rape of girls below 12 years of age.
These amendments say that a person who is convicted of raping/gang-raping a girl up to twelve years of age shall be given a death sentence or rigorous imprisonment, which shall not be less than fourteen years and 20 years, respectively.
2. The Lok Sabha has passed Specific Relief (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to further ease procedures for doing business in the country. The bill seeks to amend the Specific Relief Act, 1963.
It also provides a remedy that aims at the exact fulfillment of an obligation or specific performance of the contract rather than a general relief or compensation or damages.
3. The Lok Sabha has passed Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to empower the government to fix the period of maternity leave and tax-free gratuity amount with an executive order. The bill seeks to amend the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.
The bill allows payment of gratuity to employees in any establishment, factory, mine, oilfield, plantation, port, railways, company, or shop employing 10 or more workers.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. In view of the alleged Punjab National Bank scam, done through fraudulent issuance of Letter of Understanding (LoU) by the connivance of the bank’s staff, the Reserve Bank of India has discontinued issuance of LoUs by banks for trade credits for imports into India.
2. Karnataka Bank opened its first all-woman branch at Bull Temple Road in Bengaluru, which is the 800th branch of the bank.
3. The International Solar Alliance (ISA) and African Development Bank (AfDb), Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), Asian Development Bank (ADB), Green climate fund (GCF), and New Development Bank (NDB) signed Joint financial partnership Declarations.
The International Energy Agency (IEA) has also signed Joint partnership declaration with ISA.
The objective of these agreements is to deepen their cooperation in support of renewable energy.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. The Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS) has undertaken the development of coded drug AYUSH QOL-2C for improving quality of life in cancer patients.
It had conducted clinical studies of the drug in breast cancer patients at St. John’s Medical College, Bengaluru and AIIMS, New Delhi and in lung cancer patients at Bhagwan Mahaveer Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Jaipur.
2. Chinese scientists have developed artificial heart using rocket technology and it is currently undergoing through testing experiments on animals.
The heart was developed jointly by China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT) and Teda International Cardiovascular Hospital in North China’s Tianjin.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||Pi Day (π Day)||14 March|
|2.||World Consumer Rights Day||15 March|
|3.||National Vaccination Day||16 March|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Stephen Hawking – Physicist, Cosmologist, Author|
|2.||Narendra Jha – Bollywood Actor|
List of Important Abbreviations asked in General Awareness | IBPS, SSC, RRB Exams
Fill up your knowledge cart with the Important Abbreviations that are asked in General Awareness & Current Affairs section of the competitive exams like – IBPS, SSC & RRB. Below, we are presenting you a list of Top Abbreviations that were used in this article. Please check it out –
|S. No.||Important Abbreviations||Full Forms|
|1.||FICCI||Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry|
|2.||MGNREGA||Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act|
|3.||IOCL||Indian Oil Corporation Limited|
|4.||MNRE||Ministry of New and Renewable Energy|
|5.||DSIR||Department of Scientific and Industrial Research|
|6.||HDU||High Dependency Unit|
|7.||RMC||Respectful Maternity Care|
|8.||KUSUM||Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan|
|9.||ABHY||Atal Bhujal Yojana|
|10.||DST||Department of Science and Technology|
|NERC||Natural Environment Research Council|
|12.||NITI Aayog||National Institution for Transforming India Aayog|
|13.||SATH-E||Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education|
|14.||NSD||National School of Drama|
|15.||ISRO||Indian Space Research Organization|
|16.||CNES||Central National D’Etudes Spatiales|
|17.||EDF||Électricité de France|
|18.||NISE||National Institute of Solar Energy|
|19.||INES||National Solar Energy Institute|
|20.||EIB||European Investment Bank|
|21.||IREDA||Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency|
|22.||LoC||Line of Credit|
|23.||IBBI||Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India|
|24.||IT&E||Information Technology and Electronics|
|25.||ADB||Asian Development Bank|
|26.||RIMES||Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System|
|27.||OSDMA||Odisha State Disaster Mitigation Authority|
|28.||LoU||Letter of Understanding|
|29.||AfDb||African Development Bank|
|30.||AIIB||Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank|
|31.||GCF||Green climate fund|
|32.||NDB||New Development Bank|
|33.||IEA||International Energy Agency|
|34.||CCRAS||Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences|
|35.||CALT||China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology|
|36.||ITB||Internationale Tourismus Borse|
|37.||WEF||World Economic Forum|
|38.||WCTOH||World Conference on Tobacco or Health|
|39.||ICN||International Competition Network|
|40.||PIB||Press Information Bureau|
|41.||CIA||Central Intelligence Agency|
|42.||IISc||Indian Institute of Science|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
Above in the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap, we have covered up all the major happenings of the country and the world to help you in boosting up your General Knowledge and Awareness.
Hope the article will be helpful to you. Please share your generous reviews & queries with us in the comments section below.
Are you ready to test your knowledge? Take this GK Quiz to check your preparation level!
You may also like reading –