Read the Daily & Weekly Current Affairs and GK Updates Ques & Ans here. Get Free Access to Competitive Exams General Knowledge Quiz in GK Eduwrap.
It covers the Important Current Affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you to prepare confidently for the General Awareness Section in Popular Bank Exams & Government Exams.
We have catered the Important GK Updates from the major Current Affairs Categories below. Please have a look –
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
|Bills [Amendments & New]|
To get the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. The Union Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation has formally launched the Ganga Gram Project at the Ganga Gram Swachhata Sammelan held in New Delhi.
The objectives of the project include solid and liquid waste management, water conservation projects, renovation of ponds and water resources, organic farming, horticulture, and promotion of medicinal plants.
2. The NHAI has created a promotion cell named NHIPC for attracting domestic and foreign investment for highways projects.
The cell will focus on engaging with global institution investors, developers, construction companies and fund managers for building investor participation in road infrastructure projects.
3. India’s first and only design university World University of Design (WUD) has opened its campus at Sonipat, Haryana.
The university is dedicated to education in creative domain.
4. The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal of Ministry of Railways to set up first ever National Rail and Transport University (NRTU) in Vadodara to skill its human resources and build capability.
The University will be set up as Deemed to Be University under de novo category as per UGC (Institutions Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2016.
The first academic program is expected to be launched in July 2018.
5. The NITI Aayog is planning to set up Methanol Economy Fund worth INR 4,000-5,000 crore to promote production and use of the clean fuel.
The fund will be utilized for the production of cheaper, safer and pollution free methanol fuel by converting high ash content coal and stranded gas assets into methanol.
6. The Union Ministry of Railways in an eco-friendly measure to reduce power consumption, has planned to make all stations 100% LED lit by March 2018.
Under this initiative, the national transporter will provide 100% LED lighting for energy needs in railway staff colonies, stations and platforms.
7. The Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has inaugurated the Tribal Sports Meet 2017 to promote sports among tribals in Odisha.
Patnaik also unveiled the logo of the event and mascot of the meet
8. BJP has won 2017 Assembly Elections in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
The BJP has won 99 of Gujarat’s 182 assembly seats. Congress has won 79 seats in Gujarat.
This is 6th consecutive assembly election victory for BJP in Gujarat.
The BJP has won 44 of Himachal’s 68 assembly seats. Congress has won 21 seats in Himachal.
9. The Andhra Pradesh Government in association with the UNESCO MGIEP is planning to establish a centre of excellence for children as well as a gaming for e-learning hub.
It will be the first of its kind in India and in Asia-Pacific region.
The two-day event, 17th Indian Science Communication Congress (ISCC-2017) was held in New Delhi.
The event aimed at promoting communication of India’s scientific wisdom.
10. A Regional Conference on Good Governance and Replication of Best Practices was held in Guwahati.
The conference is an effort to create a common platform to share experiences in the formulation and implementation of citizen-centric governance, improved public service delivery, Good Governance Index.
11. Andhra Pradesh CM N. Chandrababu Naidu dedicated the first digital village facilitated by Karur Vyasa Bank (KVB), at Bandarupalli in Guntur district.
The CM participated as the chief guest at the 101st Founder’s Day of the KVB.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. India was selected as Chair of Ad Hoc Committee on Review & Reforms to look into various issues pertaining to the KPSC at recently held KP Plenary Session in Brisbane, Australia.
Angola will be the Vice Chair of this Ad Hoc Committee.
2. India is planning to host the meeting of WTO member countries in February 2018 to muster support for food security and other issues.
3. According to UN World Migration Report (2018), Indian diaspora is world’s largest, with slightly more than 15.6 million people from India living overseas.
The Indian diaspora constitutes 6% of the total number of international migrants.
4. WHO has declared Gabon a polio-free country.
This comes after lack of new reported or suspected cases in the Central African country in recent times.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. India has signed an agreement with Switzerland for automatic sharing of tax-related information from 1st January 2018 with an aim to combat black money.
Prior to it, India had to ask Switzerland for specific bits of information against the Indian account holder in Swiss Banks.
2. India and Myanmar signed MoU aimed at developing Myanmar’s Rakhine state.
The MoU comes in the backdrop of the massive migration of Rohingya refugees from violence-wracked Rakhine to Bangladesh.
3. The Union Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship and Maruti Suzuki India Limited have signed MoU to support Skill India Mission in the automobile industry.
The Flexi MoU aims to provide high employment potential trades related to automobile and manufacturing industry to youth under Skill India Mission.
4. India will host 3rd Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) in Mumbai, Maharashtra in June 2018.
In this regard, Union Government and AIIB Secretariat have signed MoU to delineate duties and responsibilities of major stakeholders who would be involved in organizing the aforesaid Annual Meeting.
The theme of the annual meeting is Mobilizing Finance for Infrastructure: Innovation and Collaboration.
5. Andhra Pradesh Government has signed MoU with Alphabet InC.’s X (Google X) to bring Free Space Optical Communication (FSOC) technology to India.
The purpose of the FSOC project is to provide high quality & affordable digital services through internet under state government’s Fiber Grid project.
6. A financing agreement for IDA Credit of USD 125 million (equivalent) for the STRIVE Project was signed by the Government of India with the World Bank in New Delhi.
The objective of the operation is to improve access to quality and market-driven vocational training provided in it is and apprenticeships.
The closing date for the project is 30th November 2022.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a monetary penalty of INR 5 crore on the public-sector lender, Syndicate Bank for violating the Know Your Customer (KYC)/Anti-Money Laundering (AML) norms.
Earlier, RBI had penalized Union Bank of India INR 2 crore for non-compliance of KYC norms.
2. Yes Bank and the European Investment Bank will co-finance USD 400 million funding for renewable power generation in the country.
Under this renewable power generation initiative, several solar projects in Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Karnataka have been identified.
3. The Government has informed the Lok Sabha that it had so far infused a capital of INR 51,858 crore in Public Sector Banks (PSBs) under its Indradhanush Plan since 2015-16.
The data shared by the Government showed that out of the total INR 51,858 crore, INR 25,000 crore was infused in 2015-16, INR 24,997 crore in 2016-17 and INR 1,861 crore in 2017-18.
4. The RBI has initiated a prompt corrective action against Bank of India for mounting bad loans, placing various restrictions on it including issuing of fresh loans and dividend distribution.
Bills [Amendments & New] – See How Many New Bills have been passed in 2017
1. The Lok Sabha has passed Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to make it easier for the government to acquire immovable property for national security and defence purpose.
The bill amends the Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property Act, 1952 and changes rules for payment of compensation.
2. The Lok Sabha has unanimously passed Central Road Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
The bill seeks to amend the Central Road Fund (CRF) Act, 2000.
3. The Parliament has passed Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) Bill, 2017 to extend greater autonomy to IIMs by restricting government’s role in their functioning.
The Bill declares the IIMs as institutions of national importance.
It seeks to empower IIMs to attain standards of global excellence in management, management research and allied areas of knowledge.
4. The Parliament has passed Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to strengthen corporate governance standards, initiate strict action against defaulting companies and help improve ease of doing business in the country.
The bill provides for more than 40 amendments to Companies Act, 2013.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. China’s home-grown AG600, also known as Kunlong, the world’s largest amphibious aircraft took off from the southern city of Zhuhai and landed after roughly an hour-long flight.
2. China has successfully launched its second Land Surveying Satellite LKW-2 (also known as Yaogan Weixing-32) into a preset orbit from Jiuquan Satellite.
The satellite will be used for remote sensing exploration of land resources.
It was launched on board of Long March-2D rocket.
3. The Southern Command of Indian Army conducted major army exercise called Hamesha Vijayee in deserts of Rajasthan from 16th to 22nd December 2017.
The purpose of the exercise was to evaluate the capability of armed forces to strike deep into enemy territory in an integrated air-land battle.
4. NASA has discovered eighth planet circling Kepler-90, a Sun-like star which is 2545 light-years far from Earth.
It was dubbed as Kepler-90i.
5. SpaceX for the first time ever has successfully launched used Dragon Spacecraft with a used Falcon 9 Rocket.
The mission was SpaceX’s 13th of 20 under a $1.6 billion contract with NASA.
6. The Ministry of Railways has decided to launch Project Swarn with the objective of significantly improving the passenger experience across 9 dimensions which include the followings.
7. The Union Ministry of Communications has launched DARPAN to improve quality of service, add value to services and achieve financial inclusion of un-banked rural population.
DARPAN is IT modernization project aimed at realizing financial inclusion of un-banked rural population.
It offers core banking services to account holders.
8. Maharashtra Government launched Maharashtra Police Citizen Portal, a digital platform for registration and tracking of crimes and complaints.
CM also launched Maharashtra Police Citizen Portal app for accessing some selected services available on the parent portal at a programme in Nagpur.
9. Indian Naval Ships Trikand and Teg are deployed to Oman for bilateral exercise Naseem Al Bahr or Sea Breeze.
This exercise is the 11th edition and has been a biennial feature since 1993.
10. The MEA has launched a new programme, SAMEEP, aims to take Indian foreign policy and its global engagements to students across the country.
The idea is not only to get the ordinary student to take an interest in India’s place in the world and its global ambitions, but also to look at diplomacy as a career option.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|S. No.||Tournaments/Sports Names||Winners||Pictures|
|1.||BWF Super Series Final Silver Medalist||PV Sindhu|
|2.||BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year||Mo Farah|
|3.||BBC Team of the Year Award||England’s Women Cricket Team|
|4.||Badminton Jr. Nationals U-17 & U-19 Singles Title Winner||Aakarshi Kashyap|
|5.||Commonwealth Wrestling Championship Gold Medalists||Sushil Kumar, Sakshi Malik|
|6.||Balkan Athlete of the Year||Grigor Dimitrov|
|7.||La Liga’s Top Scorer and Best Player Award for 2016-17 Football Session||Lionel Messi (Barcelona)|
|8.||Highest T20I Wicket Taker in 2017||Yuzvendra Chahal (India)|
|9.||FIFA Ranking 2017||India ranked at 105th position|
|10.||The game excluded from 2022 Commonwealth Games||Shooting|
|11.||Host City of 2022 Commonwealth Games||Birmingham, England|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S. No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||Recipient of Smita Patil Memorial Award||Rekha|
|2.||Miss India USA 2017||Shree Saini|
|3.||Golden Peacock Innovation Award Winner||Tata Steel Joda Mine|
|4.||Recipient of National Design Award||Satheesh Reddy|
|5.||National Geographic Photographer of the Year||Jayaprakash Joghee Bojan|
|6.||Sahitya Akademi Award Winners||Mamang Dai, Ramesh Kuntal|
|7.||Forbes Top 100 Indian Celebrity List||Virat Kohli topped the list|
|8.||India’s most trusted FMCG Brand||Patanjali|
|9.||Forbes’ List of Best Countries for Business in 2018||UK topped the list|
|10.||NASSCOM-DSCI Excellence Award Winner||Kolkata Police|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S. No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||Czech New Prime Minister||Andrej Babis|
|2.||Ambassador of India to Sudan||Ravindra Jaiswal|
|3.||Ambassador of India to the Republic of Mali||PK Gupta|
|4.||Winner of Chile’s Presidential Election||Sebastian Pinera|
|5.||NGT Chairperson who retired recently||Justice Swatanter Kumar|
|6.||New NGT Chairman||Justice Umesh Dattatraya Salvi|
|7.||Europe’s New Chancellor||Sebastian Kurz|
|8.||New NARI Chief||Dr. Samiran Panda|
|9.||Next Secretary general of Amnesty International||Kumi Naidoo|
|10.||Airtel Payments Bank CEO who resigned recently||Shashi Arora|
|11.||New CM of Gujarat||Vijay Rupani|
|12.||General Manager of Cricket Operations||Saba Karim|
|13.||DG of NCC||Lieutenant General B S Sahrawat|
|14.||Ambassador of India to Peru||M Subbarayudu|
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||International Migrants Day||18 December|
|2.||Minorities Rights day||18 December|
|3.||International Human Solidarity Day||20 December|
|4.||National Mathematics Day||22 December|
|5.||National Farmers Day||23 December|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Banwari Lal Joshi– Former Uttar Pradesh Governor|
List of Important Abbreviations asked in General Awareness | IBPS, SSC, RRB Exams
Fill up your knowledge cart with the Important Abbreviations that are asked in General Awareness & Current Affairs section of the competitive exams like – IBPS, SSC & RRB. Below, we are presenting you a list of Top Abbreviations that were used in this article. Please check it out –
|S. No.||Important Abbreviations||Full Forms|
|1.||NHAI||National Highways Authority of India|
|2.||NHIPC||National Highways Investment Promotion Cell|
|3.||NRTU||National Rail and Transport University|
|4.||NGT||National Green Tribunal|
|5.||NITI||National Institute of Transforming India|
|6.||MGIEP||Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development|
|7.||ISCC||Indian Science Communication Congress|
|8.||WTO||World Trade Organization|
|9.||RBI||Reserve Bank of India|
|10.||KPSC||Kimberley Process Certification Scheme|
|11.||ODI||One Day International|
|12.||WHO||World Health Organization|
|13.||UNESCO||United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization|
|14.||FSOC||Free Space Optical Communication|
|15.||STRIVE||Skills Strengthening for Industrial Value Enhancement Operation|
|16.||IDA||International Development Association|
|17.||ISRO||Indian Space Research Organisation|
|18.||BBC||British Broadcasting Corporation|
|20.||CRF||Central Road Fund|
|21.||IIM||Indian Institutes of Management|
|22.||NASA||National Aeronautics and Space Administration|
|23.||DARPAN||Digital Advancement of Rural Post Office for A New India|
|25.||MEA||Ministry of External Affairs|
|26.||BWF||Badminton World Federation|
|27.||FIFA||International Federation of Football Association|
|28.||FMCG||Fast Moving Consumer Goods|
|29.||DSCI||Data Security Council of India|
|30.||NASSCOM||National Association of Software and Services Companies|
|31.||NARI||National Agricultural Research Institution|
|32.||CEO||Chief Executive Officer|
|34.||NCC||National Cadet Corps|
|35.||AIIB||Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank|
|36.||WUD||World University of Design|
|37.||KVB||Karur Vyasa Bank|
|38.||LED||Light Emitting Diode|
|39.||BJP||Bhartiya Janta Party|
|40.||SAMEEP||Students and MEA Engagement Program|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
Above in the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap, we have covered up all the major happenings of the country and the world to help you in boosting up your General Knowledge and Awareness.
Hope the article will be helpful to you. Please share your generous reviews & queries with us in the comments section below.
You may also like reading –