Read the Daily & Weekly Current Affairs and GK Updates Ques & Ans here. Get Free Access to Competitive Exams General Knowledge Quiz in GK Eduwrap.
It covers the Important Current Affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you to prepare confidently for the General Awareness Section in Popular Bank Exams & Government Exams.
We have catered the Important GK Updates from the major Current Affairs Categories below. Please have a look –
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
To get the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. The Goa government has launched a motorcycle ambulance service to provide quick medical help to patients in need in the coastal state.
A batch of 20 two-wheeler ambulances would be deputed in high risk areas like the coastal belt.
These motorbikes will be equipped with medical facilities, including oxygen cylinders.
2. The Union Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Minister, Shri Radha Mohan Singh inaugurated the National Banana Festival 2018 held in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
India is the largest producer of banana in the world with 29.7 million tons from an area of 0.88 million hectares with a productivity of 37 MT/ha.
3. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated World Information Technology Congress in Hyderabad, Telangana via Video Conference.
The theme of this edition of conference was ‘Future Enterprises.’
It has been organized in partnership with NASSCOM, WITSA and the Government of Telangana.
4. Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan and United Nations Environment Program chief Erik Solheim has announced that India will host the World Environment Day 2018.
The theme for the World Environment Day 2018, held every year on June 5, is Beat Plastic Pollution.
Canada hosted the World Environment Day
5. A Sanskriti Mahotsav named ‘Swachhagraha – Bapu ko Karyanjali’ was organized at the Man Mandir Ghat and Assi Ghat in Varanasi to celebrate the creative and cultural industries in Varanasi and to focus attention on the need for Swachhta by using cultural forms.
The mahotsav will see the engagement of the academia, artists, artisans, writers, poets, environmental and cultural forums on the use of cultural expressions for conservation and protection of the river and the ancient city.
The 2-day event included performances on the theme of ‘Swachhagraha’.
6. The Indian and Indonesian armies began the sixth edition of their annual military exercises named Garuda Shakti in the West Java province of the country.
The opening ceremony of the two-week military drill between the Special Forces of the Indian Army and the Indonesian Army was held at Bandung.
7. The Union Government has ordered to set up the NITI Forum for North-East Region.
The main aim is to identify various constraints on the way of accelerated, inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the North East Region of the country and to recommend suitable interventions for addressing identified constraints.
It will help to review the development status in the NER.
8. The Haryana government launched a scheme named Parivartan, to report 10 issues including cleanliness and pollution, in 46 developmental blocks of the state.
The 10 issues include facilitation of financing, making agriculture profitable and sustainable, improving health services, implementing Swachh Bharat, decongesting market areas, engaging the youth, checking air pollution, ensuring availability of identity-related services, effective policing, and ensuring road order and conduct.
9. Ministry of Culture is organizing a Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav under the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat matrix in Madhya Pradesh to celebrate the idea of unity in diversity.
The States participating in the event with Madhya Pradesh are Nagaland and Manipur.
The Mahotsav will cover a profusion of art forms from classical and folk music and dance, theatre to literature and the visual arts and would offer the chance to experience the best in established and emerging virtuosity.
10. Maharashtra government is going to launch Asmita Yojana on the International Women’s Day to provide subsidized sanitary pads to school girls and women.
Under the scheme, school girls studying in Zilla Parishad schools will get sanitary napkin packet at INR 5 while rural women can avail it at subsidized rate of INR 24 and INR 29.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. The Pakistani Senate has approved a motion to declare Mandarin as one of the official languages of Pakistan.
The motion said the step was necessary in view of ties between Pakistan and China.
Punjabi, which is widely spoken in Punjab province of Pakistan, Pashto and many other native languages have not been declared as the official languages of the country.
2. Saudi Arabia has allowed women to open their own businesses and benefit from government e-services without having to prove consent from husband or male guardian.
It is a significant move of Saudi government’s initiative to create gender-neutral society.
2. Venezuela become first sovereign country to officially launch its own cryptocurrency called Petro backed by oil, gas, gold and diamond reserves to avoid US-led financial sanctions.
The Petro aims to help Venezuela to advance in issues of monetary sovereignty, to make financial transactions and overcome financial blockade.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. President of Iran, Hassan Rouhani has signed various MoUs during a three-day visit to India. List of the MoUs is given below:
Agreement for the Avoidance of Double Taxation
MoU on Exemption from Visa requirement for holders of Diplomatic Passports.
Exchange of Instrument of Ratification of Extradition Treaty.
Lease Contract for Shahid Beheshti Port- Phase 1 of Chabahar during Interim Period between Port and Maritime Organization (PMO), Iran and India Ports Global Limited (IPGL).
MoU on Cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
MoU on the establishment of an Expert Group on Trade Remedy Measures to promote cooperation in areas of mutual interest.
MoU on Cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Allied Sectors.
MoU on Cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine.
MoU on Postal Cooperation.
2. State-owned telecom firm BSNL and Japan’s NTT AT along with their Indian partner Virgo Corps, have signed an agreement to collaborate in developing futuristic technologies such as artificial intelligence and jointly create a 5G test bed.
The agreement aims to collaborate on the next generation technologies.
3. The Government of India and The Asian Development Bank (ADB) have signed a $84 million loan agreement for improvement and expansion of water supply in Bhagalpur and Gaya towns in Bihar.
The loan is part of the $200 million Multi-Tranche Financing Facility (MFF) for the Bihar Urban Development Investment Program that was approved by ADB in 2012.
The aim of agreement is to provide sustainable urban infrastructure and services in four towns in Bihar – Bhagalpur, Gaya, Darbhanga and
4. The India and Germany have signed an Implementation Agreement in Sustainable Urban Development and Smart Cities in India.
The objective of the agreement is to develop and apply concepts for sustainable urban development about the provision of urban basic services and housing in selected cities and Smart Cities in India.
5. The Botanical Survey of India (BSI) and UK’s Natural History Museum (NHM) have signed MoU for cooperation in field of genetic and taxonomic studies, research and training, conservation in India, including species and habitat conservation assessments.
The objective of MoU is to help both nations keep up with their commitment to use scientific evidence to support goals of Convention on Biological Diversity, and Nagoya Protocol.
6. The Virgin Group has signed an agreement with Maharashtra Government to build world’s first hyperloop transportation system between Mumbai and Pune.
It aims to reduce travel time between two mega cities to 20 minutes from three hours at present.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. The Reserve Bank of India has constituted a five member panel under former board member Y H Malegam to investigate INR 11,300 crore fraud at the Punjab National Bank.
The Panel will look into the wide discrepancy by banks in asset classification and provisioning and reasons for frauds.
2. Retirement fund body Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has reduced interest rate on deposits to 8.55% for 2017-18 following a general decline in interest rates.
EPFO had announced an interest rate of 8.65% for 2016-17 and 8.8% in 2015-16.
3. The GOI and Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC) has signed an MoU to usher the programme based research support in addressing current and future global and local developmental challenges.
During the last five years (2012-17), 96 research projects worth CA$ 51 million were funded by the IDRC in India.
4. The Telangana Government has signed an MoU with Taoyuan City of Taiwan for better technology partnership in the state.
The MoU was signed after the closing ceremony of World Congress on Information Technology (WCIT) 2018 in Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
5. The Reserve Bank of India has launched Ombudsman Scheme for Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFC) for redressal of complaints against them.
The scheme will provide a cost-free and expeditious complaint redressal mechanism relating to deficiency in the services by NBFCs covered under the Scheme.
The offices of the NBFC ombudsmen will function at four metro centers, Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. Indian scientists of IISc institute have developed a super critical carbon di oxide Brayton test loop facility that would help generate clean energy from future power plants including solar thermal.
This is India’s, first test-bed for next generation, efficient compact, waterless super critical carbon dioxide Brayton cycle test loop for power generation.
The technology is perhaps the first test loop coupled with solar heat source in the world.
2. Scientists have discovered nearly 100 new exoplanets outside our solar system based on data from second mission of NASA’s (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) Kepler Space Telescope (K2 mission) released in 2014.
With this discovery, total number of exoplanets found, using NASA’s K2 mission, has reached almost 300.
This discovery will help astronomers to develop much better picture of nature of exoplanets, which in turn will allow us to place our own solar system into galactic context.
3. Surface-to-surface Agni-II ballistic missile was successfully test-fired from the Abdul Kalam Island, off Odisha coast.
The test was aimed at re-establishing operational effectiveness of weapon system.
4. Scientists from Botanical Survey of India (BSI) have identified new plant species named Drypetes kalamii from Buxa and Jaldapara National Parks in West Bengal.
The new species is close relative of medicinal plant known in Sanskrit as Putrajivak.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|S. No.||Tournaments/Sports Names||Winners||Pictures|
|1.||Rotterdam Open Title Winner||Roger Federer|
|2.||Qatar Open Shotgun meet Winner||Manavaditya Singh Rathore|
|3.||Shiv Chhatrapati State Sports Awards||Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma|
|4.||Brand Ambassador of Pak Cricket Board||Shoaib Akhtar|
|5.||CCI India All India Open Snooker Championship Winner||Brijesh Damani|
|6.||Most Successful Athlete in Winter Olympics||Marit Bjoergen (Norway)|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S. No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||World’s Best Employer||Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)|
|2.||Honorary D.Litt from IIEST||Former President Pranab Mukherjee|
|3.||World’s Top Three Most Valuable Company||AppleAlphabetAmazon|
|4.||BAFTA Award for Best Film||Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri|
|5.||BAFTA Award for Best Director||Guillermo Del Toro (The Shape of Water)|
|6.||BAFTA Award for Best Leading Actor||Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)|
|7.||BAFTA Award for Best Leading Actress||Frances Mcdormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)|
|8.||First Non-Suburban Railway Station of India managed by all-Woman||Gandhi Nagar, Jaipur|
|9.||81th Rank in Global Corruption Perception Index||India|
|10.||7th Most Targeted Nation for Web Application Attacks||India|
|11.||World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS 2018) was held at||Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi|
|12.||Northeast’s First Regional Centre for Agriculture with Israeli collaboration will be established at||Mizoram|
|13.||Head of the Committee to Monitor Bad Loans & Rising Cases of Frauds||Y H Malegam|
|14.||First Woman Fighter Pilot to Fly Fighter Jet||Avani Chaturvedi|
|15.||First International Solar Alliance (ISA) Summit will be held at||New Delhi, India|
|16.||44th Khajuraho Dance Festival 2018 was held in||Madhya Pradesh|
|17.||India International Textiles Expo (IITExpo) was held at||Colombo, Shri Lanka|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S. No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||Executive Directors of Canara Bank||Debashish Mukherjee|
|2.||Executive Directors of Vijaya Bank||Murali Ramaswami|
|3.||Indian Assistant for IT infrastructure for the National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS)||Nandan Nilekani|
|4.||New Speaker of Gujarat Assembly||Rajendra Trivedi|
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||World Day of Social Justice||20 February|
|2.||International Mother Language Day||21 February|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Ruud Lubbers – Former Dutch Prime Minister|
|2.||Gundu Hanumantha Rao – Telugu Actor|
|3.||BK Goyal – Padma Vibhushan Cardiologist|
|4.||M S Anantharaman – Noted Violinist|
|5.||Kunwar Bai – Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Ambassador|
|6.||Sridevi – Indian Actress|
List of Important Abbreviations asked in General Awareness | IBPS, SSC, RRB Exams
Fill up your knowledge cart with the Important Abbreviations that are asked in General Awareness & Current Affairs section of the competitive exams like – IBPS, SSC & RRB. Below, we are presenting you a list of Top Abbreviations that were used in this article. Please check it out –
|S. No.||Important Abbreviations||Full Forms|
|1.||NASSCOM||National Association of Software and Services Companies|
|2.||WITSA||World Information Technology And Services Alliance|
|3.||NITI||National Institution for Transforming India|
|4.||PMO||Port and Maritime Organization|
|5.||IPGL||Iran and India Ports Global Limited|
|6.||BSNL||Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited|
|7.||NTT AT||Nippon Telegraph and Telephone public Corporation Advanced Technology|
|8.||ADB||Asian Development Bank|
|9.||MFF||Multi-Tranche Financing Facility|
|10.||BSI||Botanical Survey of India|
||NHM||Natural History Museum|
|12.||EPFO||Employees’ Provident Fund Organization|
|13.||GOI||Government of India|
|14.||IDRC||International Development Research Centre|
|15.||WCIT||World Congress on Information Technology|
|16.||NBFC||Non-Banking Financial Companies|
|17.||IISc||Indian Institute of Science|
|18.||RBI||Reserve Bank of India|
|19.||TCS||Tata Consultancy Services|
|20.||IIEST||Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology|
|21.||BAFTA||British Academy Film Awards|
|22.||WSDS||World Sustainable Development Summit|
|23.||ISA||International Solar Alliance|
|24.||IITExpo||India International Textiles Expo|
|25.||NHPS||National Health Protection Scheme|
|26.||NASA||National Aeronautics and Space Administration|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
Above in the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap, we have covered up all the major happenings of the country and the world to help you in boosting up your General Knowledge and Awareness.
Hope the article will be helpful to you. Please share your generous reviews & queries with us in the comments section below.
You may also like reading –