Read the Daily & Weekly Current Affairs and GK Updates Ques & Ans here. Get Free Access to Competitive Exams General Knowledge Quiz in GK Eduwrap.
It covers the Important Current Affairs in a comprehensive manner ensuring you to prepare confidently for the General Awareness Section in Popular Bank Exams & Government Exams.
We have catered the Important GK Updates from the major Current Affairs Categories below. Please have a look –
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
|Science & Technology Events|
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates|
|Recent Deaths Updates|
|Mergers & Acquisition Updates|
To get the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. Tamil Nadu will host an International exhibition on Defence named DefExpo-2018 in April.
The aim of the exhibition is showcasing the latest technologies and products manufactured by both Indian and foreign companies.
It will also give an opportunity to the State to showcase its strength as one the largest manufacturing hubs of defence productions.
2. A National Conference of the State channelizing Agencies, Public Sector Banks and Regional Rural Banks of National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC) was conducted in New Delhi.
The main aim of the conference was better coordination in NHFDC and Channelizing agencies for the smooth and better implementation of NHFDC Schemes for the benefit of a larger number of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan).
3. Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu inaugurated the World War II Memorial Museum in the Changlang district, near Myanmar border.
The museum is built by the Union Culture Ministry in memory of those who laid down their lives in WWII and is located adjacent to the historic Stilwell Road.
4. The Minister of State for AYUSH, Shri Shripad Yesso Naik laid the foundation stone for Central Research Institute (CRI) in Jaipur.
This will be the third CRI under the aegis of Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy (CCRH), an autonomous body of Ministry of AYUSH for undertaking scientific research in Homoeopathy, with 23 institutes across the country.
The institute is also contributing to the Swasthya Rakshan Program at five adopted villages.
5. Election Commission of India (ECI) hosted a one-day International Conference on the subject ‘Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in the Election Process’ in New Delhi on the occasion of 8th National Voters Day Celebrations.
Chief Election Commissioner of India Mr. O.P. Rawat, reiterated ECI’s resolve to uphold the sanctity of free, fair and peaceful elections in keeping with the rich democratic traditions of India.
6. The Government has appointed six new Joint Directors in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The officers who have been appointed as joint directors in CBI are senior police officer Praveen Sinha, police officers Ajay Bhatnagar, Pankaj Kumar Srivastava, IPS officers Sharad Aggarwal, Gajendra Kumar Goswami and V Murugesan.
7. President has announced the name of 85 recipients of the prestigious Padma Awards for 2018.
This includes 3 Padma Vibhushan, 9 Padma Bhushan and 73 Padma Shri awards.
Padma Vibhushan Awardees are Illaiyaraja, Ghulam Mustafa Khan, and P. Parameswaran.
Padma Bhushan recipients are:
- Pankaj Advani
- Philipose Mar Chrysostom
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- Alexander Kadakin (Foreigner/Posthumous)
- Ved Prakash Nanda (Overseas Citizen of India)
- Laxman Pai
- Arvind Parikh
- Sharda Sinha
8. President Ram Nath Kovind has felicitated 112 exceptional women achievers, who are first to set a milestone of achievement in their respective fields.
These 122 women achievers are also named as ‘First ladies’, who have been first in any field like first woman judge, first woman porter, first woman to head missile project, first para-trooper, first Olympian among others.
9. The Ministry of Science & Technology has announced four new schemes to promote young scientists and researchers in the country.
These schemes are Teacher Associateship for Research Excellence (TARE) Scheme, Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship, Distinguished Investigator Award (DIA) AWSAR (Augmenting Writing Skills for Articulating Research).
The main aim of schemes is early recognition and reward to young talent in the field of science. These schemes focus on youth to empower, recognize and motivate them.
10. Kolkata, capital of West Bengal became first metro city in India to get floating market. It was inaugurated by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
The floating market is located on lake at Patuli in South Kolkata which is 400 meters long and 60 meters
11. The Raipur Municipal Corporation in Chhattisgarh has organized India’s first garbage festival in Raipur.
The aim of the festival is to increase awareness, use the waste generated in the city creatively and to showcase multiple techniques for reusing things that are labeled as garbage.
The three-day festival includes workshops, talks, and performances.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. India has moved up on a Global Index of Talent Competitiveness to the 81st position among 118 countries, improving its position from 92nd last year.
Switzerland topped the list released every year on the first day of the World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting followed by Singapore and US.
2. According to a biennial report by Yale and Columbia Universities along with the World Economic Forum, India is placed among the bottom five countries on the Environmental Performance Index (EPI) 2018.
India is ranked 177th among 180 countries in EPI 2018.
Top 5 countries are Switzerland, France, Denmark, Malta and
To bottom countries are Nepal, India, Congo, Bangladesh, Burundi.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. The Government of India, Government of Uttarakhand and the World Bank Board have signed a $120 million Loan Agreement which will help increase access to improved water supply services in peri-urban areas in the State of Uttarakhand.
This agreement will develop and implement a service-oriented and efficient water supply policy for peri-urban areas, strengthen the current monitoring and evaluation systems, and provide dedicated incentives for preparation and adoption of water supply ‘master-plans’ in peri-urban areas.
2. The Andhra Pradesh Government has signed an agreement with the Canton of Zurich letter of intent to promote mutual prosperity and development.
This agreement will bring the State of Andhra Pradesh and Canton of Zurich closer and ensure that a framework is created, which supports the exchange between both the parties.
3. The World Economic Forum (WEF) has made an agreement with Reliance Industries (RIL) to set up a new Centre for Fourth Industrial Revolution (C4IR) in Mumbai.
After the Silicon Valley at San Francisco which is already home to several exciting developments in the digital space, this would be the first C4IR opened elsewhere.
4. Indian Overseas Bank has signed a MoU with National Housing Bank for the Rural Housing Interest Subsidy Scheme (RHISS) of the Ministry of Rural Development.
The aim of the RHISS is to provide a subsidy for housing loans taken by those living in rural areas for construction and modifications of their dwelling units.
The interest subsidy under the scheme is 3% for a loan amount of INR 2 lakh for 20-year
5. The Government of Japan has committed JICA Official Development Assistance loan for an amount of Yen 45 billion (INR 2587 crore approx.) for the project.
This Project will provide residents of Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagar Palike (BBMP) area especially in 110 villages with safe and stable water supply and sewerage services by the carrying-out construction of water treatment plant and sewage treatment plants.
It will improve living conditions of the residents as well as the investment environment in the concerned areas in BBMP in the State of Karnataka.
6. National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation (NHIDCL) under the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has signed a MoU with M/S IL&FS Transportation Networks Ltd for construction of the 14.150 km long, 2-lane bi-directional Zojila Tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir.
This would be India’s longest road tunnel and the longest bi-directional tunnel in Asia.
The construction of this tunnel will provide all-weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh and will bring about all-round economic and socio-cultural integration of these regions.
7. India and Vietnam have signed two Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) to enhance cooperation in the field of information and broadcasting and space cooperation.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) has partnered with DP World to create an investment platform for ports, terminals, transportation and logistics businesses in India.
The platform will invest in seaports into areas such as river ports and transportation, freight corridors, port-led special economic zones, inland container terminals, and logistics infrastructure including cold storage.
2. Reliance Industries (RIL) become the first Indian company to cross the INR 6-lakh crore mark in market capitalization as its shares touched a 52-week high of INR 974.5.
India’s largest software exporter, Tata Consultancy Services follows RIL with a market capitalization of INR 5,95,946 crore.
HDFC Bank becomes the first bank to cross-market capitalization of INR 5 lakh crore recently.
Merger and Acquisition | Insights of Major Companies & Organizations
1. The Union Government and state-run oil explorer ONGC closed a deal for the acquisition of government’s 51.11% stake in Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (HPCL) for a consideration of INR 36,915 crore.
The all-cash deal will help government boost its non-debt capital receipts and meet disinvestment target (INR 72,500 crore).
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. The World Economic Forum (WEF) has announced a new Global Centre for Cybersecurity to safeguard the world from hackers and growing data breaches.
The Centre is Headquartered in Geneva and will become operational from March.
2. The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) has launched beneficiary module of Rapid Reporting System (RRS), a web-based online monitoring of Scheme for Adolescent Girls (SAG).
It has been developed by Ministry of WCD in collaboration with National Informatics Centre (NIC).
The RRS portal will facilitate monitoring of SAG and take corrective measures by ensuring the faster flow of information, accurate targeting of beneficiaries and reduction of leakages.
3. Chinese scientists have successfully cloned two identical long-tailed macaques (monkeys) using the same technique that produced Dolly sheep two decades ago.
This development makes them world’s first primates, the order of mammals that includes monkeys, apes and humans, to be cloned from the non-embryonic
4. Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar in the presence of Japanese Minister Keniko Sen had inaugurated India-Japan Smart Grid Pilot Project Panipat, Haryana.
The aim of the project is to solve the various complications faced by the power distribution sector.
India-Japan Smart Grid Pilot Project was initiated under intensive relations between Japan and India and Central Government’s flagship Make in India Programme.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|S. No.||Tournaments/Sports Names||Winners||Pictures|
|1.||Australian Open Women’s Grand Slam Title||Caroline Wozniacki|
|2.||Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy Winner||Delhi|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S. No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Award||Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust in Odisha|
|2.||European Capital of Culture||Vallentta, Malta|
|3.||Ranked 62nd WEF’s Inclusive Development Index||India|
|4.||Dr. Kalam Innovation in Governance Award 2018||Andhra Pradesh IT Minister Nara Lokesh|
|5.||International Dam Safety Conference – 2018 will be held at||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala|
|6.||Ideal Chief Minister Award||Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik|
|7.||7th Asia Steel International Conference will be held||Bhubaneswar|
|8.||5th Most Attractive Market for Investments||India|
|9.||16th International Energy Forum (IEF) Ministerial meeting will be held at||New Delhi|
|10||21st India International Seafood Show 2018||Margao, South Goa|
|11.||WTO Ministerial biennial Meeting will be held in||India|
|12.||Ranked 177th in Environmental Performance Index 2018||India|
|13.||UNESCO Award of Merit||Tamil Nadu CM Edappady K. Palaniswami|
|14.||Ashok Chakra||Jyoti Prakash Nirala (Posthumous)
IAF Garud Commando Corporal
|15.||5th Yash Chopra Memorial Award||Asha Bhosle|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S. No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre||S Somanath|
|2.||FICCI Director General||Dilip Chenoy|
|3.||First woman Chairman of Indian Banks’ Association (IBA)||Usha Ananth Subramanian
MD & CEO, Allahabad Bank
|Next chairman of the Federal Reserve||Jerome H Powell|
|5.||Director of ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC)||Dr. V. Narayanan|
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|1.||National Voters Day||15 January|
|2.||Republic Day||26 January|
|3.||World Leprosy Day||28 January|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Supriya Devi – Bengali Film Actress|
|2.||Gurcharan Singh Kalkat – Agricultural Scientist|
List of Important Abbreviations asked in General Awareness | IBPS, SSC, RRB Exams
Fill up your knowledge cart with the Important Abbreviations that are asked in General Awareness & Current Affairs section of the competitive exams like – IBPS, SSC & RRB. Below, we are presenting you a list of Top Abbreviations that were used in this article. Please check it out –
|S. No.||Important Abbreviations||Full Forms|
|1.||NHFDC||National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation|
|2.||CRI||Central Research Institute|
|3.||CCRH||Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy|
|4.||ECI||Election Commission of India|
|5.||CBI||Central Bureau of Investigation|
|6.||WWII||World War Second|
|7.||TARE||Teacher Associateship for Research Excellence|
|8.||DIA||Distinguished Investigator Award|
|9.||AWSAR||Augmenting Writing Skills for Articulating Research|
|10.||WEF||World Economic Forum|
|11.||EPI||Environmental Performance Index|
|12.||C4IR||Centre for Fourth Industrial Revolution|
|13.||RIL||Reliance Industries Limited|
|14.||RHISS||Rural Housing Interest Subsidy Scheme|
|15.||BBMP||Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagar Palike|
|16.||JICA||Japan International Cooperation Agency|
|17.||NHIDCL||National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation|
|18.||NIIF||National Investment and Infrastructure Fund|
|19.||ONGC||Oil and Natural Gas Corporation|
|20.||HPCL||Hindustan Petroleum Corporation|
|21.||WCD||Women and Child Development|
|22.||RRS||Rapid Reporting System|
|23.||SAG||Scheme for Adolescent Girls|
|24.||NIC||National Informatics Centre|
|25.||UNWTO||United Nations World Tourism Organization|
|26.||IEF||International Energy Forum|
|27.||UNESCO||United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization|
|28.||IAF||Indian Air Force|
|29.||FICCI||Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry|
|30.||IBA||Indian Banks’ Association|
|31.||LPSC||Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre|
|32.||NHFDC||National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
Above in the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap, we have covered up all the major happenings of the country and the world to help you in boosting up your General Knowledge and Awareness.
Hope the article will be helpful to you. Please share your generous reviews & queries with us in the comments section below.
You may also like reading –