Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje has become the most liked Chief Minister on social media platforms, leaving behind Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and U.P. Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Her official Facebook page has notched up more than 71 lakh likes so far.
Kejriwal’s Facebook page has 70.87 lakh likes while Mr. Yadav has 54.85 lakh likes.
Raje’s team closely monitors the opinions coming on social channels and takes follow-up action to ensure help for those who ask for it.
2. Software-enabled mobile app M-STRIPES (Monitoring System for Tigers-Intensive Protection and Ecological Status) launched at Corbett Tiger Reserve for monitoring of tiger reserves in the country.
Foresters of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh are participating in training workshop.
The foresters will learn about data collection and software entry under the guidance of scientists of Wildlife Institute of India at Corbett.
After the successful trial at Panna Tiger Reserve, the app has now been launched in these five states in one go.
3. Textile minister Smriti Zubin Irani inaugurated the first-ever apparel and garment making center in Meghalaya.
The event was inaugurated in the presence of Union MoS for home Kiren Rijiju and chief minister Mukul Sangma near Ampati in South West Garo Hills.
The sprawling center, covering an area of 45,000 square feet, was set up under the North -East Region Textiles Promotion Scheme (NERTPS) at Hatisil near Ampati at an approximate cost of Rs 14.26 crore.
There are 105 sewing machines each in the first two units and 70 in the third unit of the center.
4. The Union Minister for Panchayati Raj and Rural Development, Narendra Singh Tomar stated that the Ministry of Defence is set to open its Defence Unit in Morena district of Madhya Pradesh.
The unit would be set up in Kailaras and Sabalgarh tehsil areas and span over 969.735 hectare of land at a cost of Rs. 1500 crore.
International – Across the Globe:
1. A legislation has been introduced in the US House of Representatives which doubles the minimum salary of H-1B visa holders to $130,000.
The legislation making it difficult for firms to use the programme to replace American employees with foreign workers, including from India.
The High Skilled Integrity and Fairness Act 2017 introduced by California Congressman prioritizes allocation of visas to those companies willing to pay 200% of a wage.
The act eliminates the category of lowest pay, and raises the salary level at which H1B dependent employer are exempt from non-displacement and recruitment attestation requirements to greater than $130,000.
Sports & Athletics:
1. West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell was banned for one year for a doping whereabouts rule violation.
He was revealed to have committed the violation 11 months ago, after registering three filing failures in 2015.
Tests in 2015 constitutes a failed drugs test under World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules.
The 28-year-old Jamaican, who helped the West Indies win their second World T20 title in 2016, will be banned for a year.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh presented the First National Entrepreneurship awards 2016 in New Delhi.
The awards have been presented in order to recognize the entrepreneurial spirit of India’s youth and encourage more young Indians to become entrepreneurs.
The Entrepreneurship Awards system has been created through a partnership between MSDE and a few reputed institutions like IIT – Delhi, Mumbai, Kanpur and Chennai, Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai and XLRI, Jamshedpur.
Every year, one such institution will play the role of the lead institution to anchor the awards. For 2016-2017, the lead institution is IIT, Delhi.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Bollywood Actress Anushka Sharma becomes female face of Swachh Bharat Mission.
She has taken the responsibility of spreading awareness about the same among women.
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan is already doing his best to make India a cleaner place by joining forces with PM’s mission.
PM Modi had launched Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or Clean India Campaign on 2nd October 2014, and set a 5-year deadline to usher in complete cleanliness in the country.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Income Tax Department (ITD) has initiated Operation Clean Money.
Initial phase of the operation involves e-verification of large cash deposits made during 9th November to 30th December 2016.
Data analytics has been used for comparing the demonetization data with information in ITD databases.
In the first batch, around 18 lakh persons have been identified in whose case, cash transactions do not appear to be in line with the tax payer’s profile.
2. Mumbai based lender State Bank of India wants to increase its stake to at least 51% from 40% in GE Capital Business Process Management Services, and to 74% from 60% in SBI Cards and Payments, which markets and distribute credit cards.
The move is in line due to demonetization as it increasingly drives consumers to spend online or through cards.
According to a study by global consulting firm BCG, digital payments in India is expected to multiply 10 times as Internet banking and cards replace cash in transactions.
3. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented Union Budget 2017. 10 major highlights of the budget are:
Income tax rate cut to 5% for individuals having income between Rs.2.3 lakh to Rs.5 lakh, 10% charge on individual income above Rs.50 lakh and 15% on income above 1 crore.
Revenue deficit reduced to 2.1% from 2.3%.
Merger of Railways Budget with General Budget brings focus on a multi-modal approach for development of railways, highways and inland water transport.
36% increase in FDI flow.
Agricultural sector is expected to grow at 4.1% this fiscal.
Allocation under MNREGA increased to 48,000 crores from Rs 38,500 crore
Total expenditure in FY18 at Rs 21.47 lakh cr.
Govt doubles distribution target under Mudra Yojana to Rs 2.44 lakh crore for 2017-18.
Customs duty on LNG halved to 2.5%.
Net revenue loss from direct tax proposals to be about Rs 20,000 cr.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Indian Union Muslim League national president and former minister of state for External Affairs Minister E. Ahamed passed away at the Ram Manohar Lohia hospital in New Delhi. He was 78.
He was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1991, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2004 and 2009.
May 2004 – May 2009 he served as the Minister of State for External Affairs.
May 2009 – January 2011, he was Minister of State for Railways.
2. Former Tamil Nadu left-handed batsman R. Raghavan passed away after prolonged illness. He was 82.
Representing the State side in the 50s, Raghavan played 15 matches making 384 runs with a highest score of 79.
He played against visiting overseas sides such as a team from Commonwealth and represented Mambalam Mosquitos in the first division league with distinction.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images