Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Telangana state government will be launching its T-Wallet as an “anytime anywhere digital payment option for everyone”.
The state government also got clearance from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to launch the e-payment facility.
The T-Wallet will charge a nominal cost for private transactions and charges will not be applicable for paying electricity bills, water bills, property taxes.
2. The government has launched ‘SPARROW-ITS’ (Smart Performance Appraisal Report Recording Online Window).
The main aim is to enable the Indian Trade Service (ITS) officers to fill their Annual Performance Appraisal Report (APAR) online for the year 2016-17 onwards.
3. The Indian Railways introduced ‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ service for passengers to book tickets online first and make payment for the reservations within a window of 15 days.
The facility, which allows passengers to travel after five days of booking the ticket, is available for confirmed, waitlisted, and Reservation Against Cancellation (RAC) berths.
The new Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) feature is being enabled in partnership with the Mumbai-based ePaylater company.
4. The Rajasthan High Court recommended that the Centre declare the cow as a national animal and increase the punishment for cow slaughter to life imprisonment.
In a slew of directions passed on a Public Interest Litigation (PIL), the court asked the State Chief Secretary to take steps to get the suggestions implemented.
5. The Income Tax (IT) Department announced that taxpayers can now link their Aadhaar Card number with their Permanent Account Number (PAN) by using an SMS-based facility.
The two numbers can be linked by sending an SMS to either 567678 or 56161.
After verification from the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India), the linking will be confirmed.
International – Across the Globe:
1. China launched cybersecurity law to ensure its national security, amid criticism from foreign companies.
The law is designed to safeguard China’s cyberspace sovereignty, national security, public interest, as well as the rights and interests of citizens, legal persons and other organizations.
2. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will attend the annual meeting of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank to be held in mid-June in South Korea.
The Finance Minister is scheduled to attend Board of Governors meeting on 14th-15th June.
This year’s meeting is being co-hosted by the Bank and Korea, and will be held in Jeju Island.
3. 9 Indian cities figure on the latest edition of JLL ‘Global 300′ cities. These cities are the focus of commercial activity and interest, 40% of the world’s economy, and three-quarters of global real estate investment.
Delhi and Mumbai rank in the ‘Global Top 30′.
Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Pune and Surat are the other cities to have found a place in the list.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Google on 1st June 2017 marked the beginning of the eight-nation ICC Champions Trophy 2017 with an addictive doodle game.
The opening match would be played between the hosts England and Bangladesh.
India’s first match in the tournament would be with arch-rival Pakistan on 4th June at Edgbaston.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Kapil Sharma has been chosen for the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke award 2017 along with the other celebrities.
Earlier, also Kapil for his extraordinary comedy skills was awarded this award in 2014.
Along with Kapil, Priyanka Chopra, Vivek Oberoi, Gulshan Grover will also be awarded the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke award under various categories.
2. Dr. Sushil Kumar Sharma renowned cardiologist has been awarded the Double Helical National Health Award in the category of Excellence in the delivery of Cardiology Services across the state.
He is credited with the establishment of Intervention Programme in GMC, Jammu, and performed more than 10,000 simple and complex procedures.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. The UN General Assembly elected Slovak foreign minister Miroslav Lajcak to be the next president of the 193-member powerful body.
Lajcak was elected by acclamation as President of the 72nd session of the UN General Assembly.
Lajcak will succeed Fijian diplomat Peter Thomson.
2. Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das retired after serving the government for 37 years in various capacities.
After Das’ retirement, Corporate Affairs Secretary Tapan Ray has taken additional charge as the Economic Affairs Secretary.
3. Ramachandra Guha, appointed by the Supreme Court as one of the four administrators of BCCI resigned from the post due to personal reasons.
Historian Ramachandra Guha was a member of the Committee of Administrators (COA).
4. India’s Dhanraj Choudhary who represents Asia in the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF), has been re-elected as a Board of Director (BoD) for another four years along with other continental representatives.
He will serve his second successive term as BoD at the ITTF.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Punjab National Bank (PNB) signed a $100 million loan, to be guaranteed by the Government of India.
The loan signed will finance large solar rooftop systems on industrial and commercial buildings throughout India.
The PNB will use the ADB funds to make further loans to various developers and end users to install rooftop solar systems.
2. According to Moody’s Investors Service, India’s economic growth will accelerate to 7.5 percent in the current fiscal and the government’s reform push will help achieve 8 per cent GDP growth rate in about four years.
Indian economy grew 7.1 per cent in 2016-17 fiscal.
3. An agreement for IBRD Credit of USD 36 Million from World Bank for “Himachal Pradesh Public Financial Management Capacity Building Program” was signed in New Delhi.
The objective of the project is to improve the efficiency of Public Expenditure Management and Tax Administration in Himachal Pradesh.
The program size is USD 45 million, of which USD 36 million will be financed by the Bank, and the remaining amount will be funded out of State Budget 3.
4. India lost its fastest-growing major economy tag in the January-March period, GDP growth coming down to 6.1 per cent compared with 7 per cent in the previous quarter.
The growth of 6.1 per cent was also lower than China’s growth in the same period which was 6.9 per cent.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Spain have signed seven agreements during the meeting of PM Narendra Modi to Spain. The 7 agreements are:
Agreement for Transfer of Sentence Persons.
MoU on Cooperation in Organ Transplantation.
MoU on Cooperation in Cyber Security.
MoU on Cooperation in Renewable Energy.
MoU on Technical Cooperation in Civil Aviation.
Agreement on visa waiver for holders of diplomatic passports.
MoU between Foreign Service Institute and Diplomatic Academy of Spain.
Science & Technology:
1. NASA Parker Solar Probe launched in the summer of 2018 to explore the sun’s atmosphere.
The satellite is named as the Parker Solar Probe in honour of astrophysicist Eugene Parker.
The 10-feet high Parker Solar Probe will fly within 6.4 million km of the sun’s surface right into the solar atmosphere.
2. Microsoft Co-founder Paul Allen announced publicly the world’s largest aircraft called ‘Stratolaunch’ with a 385-foot wingspan, capable of launching rockets.
The aircraft capable of carrying up to 250 tonnes of cargo.
3. Scientists have discovered a potentially habitable Earth-like planet named Super Earth, located just 21 light years away, that may host liquid water on its surface.
Researchers used the radial velocity technique, which involves measuring the changes in the position and velocity when the star and a planet rotating around their common centre of gravity.
4. The United States for the first time has successfully tested its defence system against an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM).
During the test, a ground-based interceptor launched from the California air base had shot down a mock intercontinental ballistic missile target which was fired from the Reagan Test Site in the Marshall Islands.
1. World Milk Day is an initiative of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) to celebrate the contribution of the dairy industry around the globe on 1st June every year.
The tagline added this year as a Raise a glass for milk.
The Day provides an opportunity to focus attention on milk and to publicize activities connected with milk and the milk industry.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Parvathamma Rajkumar, Kannada film producer and wife of the late Kannada superstar Rajkumar, passed away due to prolonged illness.
She was the only woman producer-distributor-exhibitor of Kannada films.
The two companies founded by her, Vajreshwari Combines and Poornima Enteprises, have produced many films.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images