Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare unveiled last National Family Health Survey-4 (NFHS-4) for 2015-16.
It has shown positive trends in key health indicators, including a decline in infant mortality rate (IMR) and improvement in sex ratio at birth during 2015-16.
2. The Union Government has signed a Financing Agreement with World Bank.
The agreement was signed for IDA credit of $63 million for the Tejaswini Socio-Economic Empowerment of Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) project.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Russia and China have vetoed a UN Security Council (UNSC) resolution that aimed to impose sanctions on Syria over chemical weapons use.
The resolution was drafted by Britain, France and United States.
It won nine votes in favor, while three countries opposed it-China, Russia and Bolivia.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Jitu Rai won the gold medal in men’s 50m free pistol event of the ISSF World Cup, with a world record score of 230.1.
India’s Amanpreet Singh wins silver with a score of 226.9
Awards & Recognition:
1. Former Indian women’s cricketer Shantha Rangaswamy has become the first female cricketer to be nominated for the BCCI Lifetime Achievement Award.
Rangaswamy will receive the award at the BCCI Annual Awards 2016-17 on 8th March 2017.
Rangaswamy was the first Indian women’s cricket team captain and the first woman cricketer to win the Arjuna Award.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Nand Kumar Sai assumed charge as the chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) in New Delhi.
The term of office of Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and each member is three years from the date of assumption of charge.
2. Sudeep Lakhtakia will hold additional charge of Director General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) to Sudeep Lakhtakia.
He is presently serving as Additional DG, CRPF.
The decision has been taken by the Ministry after K Durga Prasad (IPS) retired as DG CRPF.
3. R Subramaniam Kumar was given additional charge of the post of Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Indian Overseas Bank for three more months.
Kumar is at present Executive Director in the IOB.
4. Senior diplomat Ruchi Ghanashyam was appointed as the Secretary (West) in the Ministry of External Affairs.
She has been appointed in place of Sujata Mehta, who has recently taken over as a Member in Union Public Service Commission.
5. Sanjiv Singh was appointed chairman of the Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL) for a period of five years.
Singh is at present the director of Refineries at the IOCL.
He will be assuming the charge on or after 1st June 2017.
6. D R Doley Barman was appointed as the Director of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA), Hyderabad.
At present, Barman is working as the Director of the North-East Police Academy (NEPA), Shillong, Meghalaya.
7. Neil Gaiman has been appointed as global goodwill ambassador for United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
He had been working closely with UNHCR since 2013.
8. Sanjay Menon has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of Sapient India.
He will take over the new role from Rajdeep Endow.
Menon will continue to serve as Global Head of Service Lines for Sapient Razorfish.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) cut its growth forecast for the Indian economy to 7 per cent from 7.4 per cent earlier due to demonetisation.
However, growth is seen picking up to 7.3 per cent in 2017-18 and further to 7.7 per cent in 2018-19.
2. The Reserve Bank of India has announced setting up of the inter—disciplinary standing committee on cyber security to review the threats inherent in the existing and emerging technology.
The committee will study adoption of various security standards and protocols, interface with stakeholders and suggest appropriate policy interventions to strengthen cyber security and resilience.
The committee headed by RBI Executive Director Meena Hemchandra.
3. Reliance Jio has announced collaboration with networking giant Cisco to build world’s largest All-IP Digital Services Platform.
It will further expand Jios existing multi-terabit network capacity to offer a combination of high-speed data, VoLTE, mobile video, digital commerce, media, cloud and payment services.
4. The growth of eight core sectors slowed down to 3.4% in January 2017 due to contraction in output of refinery products, fertilizer and cement.
The eight core sectors comprise Coal, Crude Oil, Natural Gas, Petroleum Refinery, Fertilizer, Steel, Cement, Electricity generation.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) and Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City) have signed a MoU.
The MoU was signed to increase cooperation and collaboration between the two financial centres.
The MoU calls for sharing of best practices, exchange of information on banking, and cooperation in training, among others.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Popular Gujarati writer, columnist, playwright and humorist Tarak Mehta died in Ahmedabad.
He had been suffering from an illness for the last three-four months. Mehta was 87.
He translated and adapted several comedies into Gujarati, and many of his writings have inspired plays.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images