Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1.Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated 8th edition of Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
During the three -day Summit, an investment of around 30 lakhs is expected by signing 21,190 MoUs.
PM Modi also inaugurated ‘Vibrant Gujarat Global Trade Show’, where around 1500 entities are participating from India and abroad.
2.The Assam government will be shortly launching its indigenously-developed e-Wallet, Tokapoisa.in, to enable the people of the state for hassle-free online transactions in local language.
The mobile application Tokapoisa.in has been developed by the Assam Electronics Development Corp. Ltd. Besides being an e-Wallet, it will be a virtual payment terminal.
3.Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the India International Exchange (INX) located at the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC), GIFT city in Gandhinagar.
The India INX is a wholly owned subsidiary of BSE Ltd.
The securities and products that could be traded on the India INX are equity shares, currency and interest rate derivatives, index based derivatives and such other securities that may be allowed.
4. 11th Blind Challenge Car Rally held in Bhopal to create awareness among people regarding the concerns of visually impaired people.
Indira Gandhi Museum and Arushi are organizing car rally, where the vehicle is driven by the sighted person and the navigator is a blind person, who reads the route given to them on the spot in Braille.
It covered 30 kms within Bhopal. First three winners were awarded cash prices and trophies and certificates and mementos were awarded to all participants.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Netherlands’ flag carrier KLM has been rated the best international airline of 2016 by aviation insights company FlightStats, which ranked carriers on their on-time performance records.
KLM, with an 11.47% chance of a flight delay, was followed by Spain’s flag carrier Iberia (11.82%) and Japan’s flag carrier JAL (12.2%).
Qatar Airways and Australian Airlines completed the top five.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has waived Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) on debit card transactions for all small merchants with annual turnover of up to Rs.20 lakh for one year.
The move is targeted primarily towards a segment of population and small merchants, who have not yet experienced the convenience of Card payments.
2. Axis bank has become the third lender in the country to announce usage of block chains solutions for its operations.
The bank will be using the upcoming technology for cross-border remittances.
3. The private lender HDFC bank has launched a ‘Humanoid’ in the domestic banking space.
The bank showcased human-sized robot Ira, developed in association with Kochi-based Asimov Robotics and will be deployed at a Mumbai branch within fortnight.
1. Olympic and world 800m champion, David Rudisha from Kenya, is named the international event ambassador for the 14th Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon 2017.
Rudisha, the 28-years-old middle-distance ace, retained his 800m title at Rio Olympics, clocking 1:42.16.
The Marathon will be held on January 15.
2. SBI Pension Funds, has appointed Kumar Sharadindu as its Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
SBI pension Funds is one of the three pension fund managers appointed by the regulator PFRDA to manage pension corpus of employees enrolled under the National Pension System for government employees.
Prior to this appointment, Sharadindu was a General Manager at SBI Corporate centre, Mumbai.
3. Flipkart appoints former Tiger Global Management executive Kalyan Krishnamurthy as the new chief to run the operations of India’s largest online trader.
He is replacing co-founder Binny Bansal, who has been elevated to the position of Group CEO.
He joined Flipkart in June last year as head of ‘category design organization’.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Portugal and Real Madrid FC Captain Cristiano Ronaldo has won his fourth FIFA best player award.
Ronaldo beat great rival Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann to complete a sweep of top individual awards.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino presented the award to Ronaldo in a function.
His 34.54 percent of total voting points in a 23-candidate ballot was clearly better than Messi’s 26.42 percent. Griezmann got 7.53 percent.
2. Leicester City’s Claudio Ranieri won the Best FIFA Men’s Coach of the Year award after beating Portugal’s Fernando Santos and Real Madrid’s Zinedine Zidane on the shortlist.
Ranieri beat strong competition from Zidane, who led his Real Madrid side to their 11th UEFA Champions League title in his first season as a manager and won the 2016 UEFA Super Cup and 2016 FIFA Club World Cup.
3. USA women’s football team captain Carli Lloyd was named as FIFA’s Best Female footballer of the year for the second straight time, during The Best FIFA Football Awards in Zurich.
Lloyd, who plays for American football club Houston Dash, is a World Cup winner and a two-time Olympic gold medal winner.
4. Megastar Amitabh Bacchan was given an award by the US embassy in appreciation for his invaluable contributions to the US-India partnership on tuberculosis.
The award was presented on January 8 by US Ambassador to India Richard R. Verma to the legendary actor who is also a tuberculosis survivor and brand ambassador for the initiative.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images