Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. India Navy has commissioned INS Tillanchang at Karwar, Karnataka. It is a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC).
It is the third ship of four follow-on WJFAC built by the Kolkata based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE).
The first two ships INS Tarmugli and INS Tihayu which were commissioned in 2016.
2. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami has launched a housing scheme estimated at Rs 1,580 crore.
The scheme was being implemented by the state government with Central assistance for the economically poor.
Concrete houses will be constructed for 50,170 beneficiaries in town panchayat limits.
3. The AIADMK IT Wing has launched the first-of-its-kind women safety application ‘Ammavin Aran’ in Tamil Nadu.
The app Ammavin Aran means mother’s fortress.
The app will give the user details about the nearest police station and hospital along with map details and phone number.
4. The government has made Aadhaar Card mandatory for a host of schemes.
The schemes include the agriculture ministry, from soil health card and horticulture development to the Prime Minister’s flagship crop insurance scheme.
Farmers without an Aadhaar number have to apply for it by end of March.
5. The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) has issued draft Information Technology Rules 2017 for Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPI) company or e wallet firms.
The draft rules seek to ensure integrity, security and confidentiality of electronic payments made through PPIs.
6. Scientists for the first time have discovered three new canyons close to Kovvada in Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh.
This discovery was made by team of scientists from CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) in Visakhapatnam.
These three canyons together form a major canyon system in the depths of the Bay of Bengal.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The mega cultural festival India by the Nile Crafts Mela has started from 8th March 2017-23rd April 2017, showcasing joint handicraft exhibition of India and Egypt.
The Embassy of India in Cairo, in collaboration with Teamwork Arts, presented ‘Crafts Mela’ as part of the IBN 2017 cultural festival.
The festival, which is a celebration of Indian music, dance, theatre, visual arts, food and wellbeing, is the largest foreign festival in Egypt showcasing 70 events across the country.
2. The state of Hawaii has become the first state to sue to stop President Donald Trump’s revised travel ban.
The Hawaii president stated that the order will harm its Muslim population, tourism and foreign students.
Sports & Athletics:
1. AB de Villiers has retained top spot in ICC ODI rankings overtaking David Warner of Australia.
Indian Captain Virat Kohli remained unchanged at 3rd position.
Rohit Sharma at 12th position.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni at 13th position follow Kohli.
Among the bowlers, Axar Patel was the best-placed Indian at the 11th position.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Eminent Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail has been honoured with the 26th Saraswati Samman 2016 for his novel Hawthan.
The award carries a cash prize of 15 lakhs and a citation.
Goa-based Sail is a renowned bi-lingual writer who has four Marathi dramas and seven Konkani novels to his credit.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Former Utah Republican Governor Jon Huntsman was appointed as US Ambassador to Russia.
Earlier, Huntsman had served as US Ambassador to China under former President Barack Obama.
2. Donald Tusk has been re-elected as President of the European Council for a second term of two and a half years.
He has been re-elected from 1 June 2017 to 30 November 2019.
He won the elections despite objections from the government of his own country, Poland.
3. South Korean President Park Geun-hye has been removed from office with impeachment.
As per the law of the country, Park’s successor must be elected within 60 days.
At present, Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn is serving as the acting President of the country.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. Parliament has passed the Maternity Benefits (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to raise maternity leave for working women from 12 weeks to 26 weeks for two surviving children.
It was passed in the Lok Sabha and already has been passed in the Rajya Sabha.
India will be in third position in terms of the number of weeks allowed for maternity leave in the world after Norway (44 weeks) and Canada (50).
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Belgium has signed a protocol in New Delhi.
The protocol will amend the existing agreement and protocol between the two countries for Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income.
The signed protocol will help the Union Government in its fight against the black money that is stashed in the offshore accounts.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images