Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Calcutta High Court Judge ‘C S Karnan’ is the first judge who has been sent to prison for his scandalous remarks. The Supreme Court has banned media from publishing any orders passed by Mr. Karan and took a strict action against him.
Know what he did?
Justice Karnan had levelled allegations against several judges of the Madras High Court and the apex court and stubbornly refused to take the allegations back.
To make things worse, he had passed orders against the seventh judge bench, which was hearing his contempt case.
2. The government has set up a task force headed by NITI Aayog vice-chairman Arvind Panagariya to come up with a methodology to generate timely and reliable employment data.
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi himself has initiated the process and has asked the task force to submit its recommendations at the earliest.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India and Australia to hold their 2nd bilateral naval exercise off the coast of Western Australia in June.
Look Back - The first-ever Bilateral Naval Exercise in between India and Autralia, called AUSINDEX, was held in September 2015 in the Bay of Bengal.
2. India has decided to replace the Maitri research station in Antarctica with a new one in the next three to four years.
India is also drafting laws to safeguard its interest in Antarctica.
3. South Korea’s presidential election has been won by Moon Jae-in, a liberal who favors a more open policy toward North Korea.
Moon, the Democratic Party’s candidate to replace ousted President Park Geun-hye, was declared the winner by the country’s National Election Commission.
With 100% of the votes counted, Moon won with 41.08%, the commission said.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Former India captain Jhulan Goswami has surpassed Australian Cathryn Fitzpatrick to become the leading wicket-taker in Women’s One-Day International (ODI) cricket, taking her haul to 181 wickets from 153 outings.
Know more about Jhulan Goswami
The 34-year-old pacer took three wickets against hosts South Africa during the ongoing Women’s Quadrangular Series to achieve the landmark.
With 271 International wickets (Tests, ODIs and T20I), Goswami, who was once the fastest bowler in women’s cricket has been the mainstay of India women bowling unit since her debut in 2002.
2. The National Basketball Association (NBA) has opened its first academy in India to help the sport become more popular in the country.
An elite basketball training center at Jaypee Greens Integrated Sports Complex in Greater Noida was officially thrown open for the upcoming male and female talent of the country.
Twenty-one elite male prospects, who were selected following a three-month nationwide talent search, will receive scholarships and training at NBA Academy India.
Awards & Recognition:
1. After winning a special mention at the National Film Awards, Mukti Bhawan has now gone on winning the Best Film at the New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF).
The film that revolves around the man who accompanies his father on a journey to Varanasi is a film that is winning praises all over.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. The Indian Railways to acquire the End of Train Telemetry (EoTT) Equipment to establish fair communication between the locomotive driver and the last wagon of the train to ensure that the train is running with all coaches/wagons as a complete unit.
Purpose: Such Equipment will do the Guard’s Job while at the time of parting of coaches or wagons from the rear side of the train.
News: To acquire more such equipment, Railways will float global tender worth over Rs. 100 crore to run 1,000 trains.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Press Secretary to President Pranab Mukherjee and Senior Diplomat Venu Rajamony has been appointed India’s Ambassador to the Netherlands.
Rajamony will also be India’s Permanent Representative to the Organization for Prevention of Chemical Weapons based in The Hague.
2. A senior official of the Pakistan Foreign Service ‘Sohail Mahmood’ will be the new Pakistani High Commissioner in India.
3. Microblogging platform Twitter has promoted the Sales and Marketing Support Lead ‘Mr. Taranjeet Singh’ to the position of the Country Director for India.
Mr. Singh was earlier leading the charge for sales and marketing support for Twitter’s advertisers in India.
In his new role, Mr.Singh will lead the team by driving an integrated business strategy and spearheading cross-functional collaboration.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has initiated ‘prompt corrective action’ on IDBI Bank which will restrict bank from hiring, opening branches and giving big ticket loans.
What is Prompt Corrective Action?
When a bank’s bad loan is above 6% and it reports losses for 2 consecutive years, then the ‘prompt corrective action’ is taken against that bank.
Why RBI took this Major Action?
The directions from the RBI is aimed at ensuring that the bank takes measures to cut down its losses by reducing expenses and recovering problem loans.
The bank had suffered historic loss of Rs 2,255 crore in the December quarter 2016 as it had to make huge provisions for bad loans.
2. The 30-share BSE Sensex bagged up the record close of 30,248 by surpassing its previous record of 30,133.35.
The NSE index Nifty has breached the 9,400-mark for the first time.
The NSE index registered a record high of 9,415, surpassing its previous milestone of 9,377 reached on May 5.
Science & Technology:
1. One more step to make India, A Digital India! The Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi has inaugurated Supreme Court’s Integrated Case Management Information System (ICMIS).
This digital filing system will mark Supreme Court’s first towards becoming a paperless, digital court.
2. To promote digitalization in the country, the Securities Market Regular SEBI has permitted subscriptions to MFs/AMCs (mutual funds/asset management companies). Now these companies can accept investment by an investor through e-wallets, prepaid payment instruments (PPIs).
3. The Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) launched an Investor Facilitation Platform that will provide information about stocks of public sector units.
More Features: The platform will be an interactive forum for all stakeholders, including investors, investment banks, law firms, public sector units and administrative ministries that are involved in stake sales.
1. The World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) is observed across the world on 10th May.
The theme for WWBD 2017 is “Their Future is Our Future – A Healthy Planet for Migratory Birds and People”.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images