Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated an exhibition titled “Swachhagraha – Bapu Ko Karyanjali – Ek Abhiyan, Ek Pradarshani” in New Delhi mark the 100 years (centenary year) of Champaran Satyagraha.
The exhibition will showcase Champaran Satyagraha and it will connect essential principles of Satyagraha with Swachhagraha.
2. Pakistan’s Field General Court Martial has sentenced to death Indian national and alleged RAW (Research and Analysis Wing) agent Kulbhushan Jadhav who was arrested last year on charges of spying.
The death sentence was confirmed by army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa after the Field General Court Martial found him guilty of all the charges.
3. A new web portal “nakshe” was launched by the Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan in New Delhi, on the occasion of 250th anniversary of Survey of India(SoI).
Topographic maps or Open Series Maps (OSM) containing natural and man-made geographical features including terrain or topography are prepared by the SoI since its inception in 1767 and is in conformity with the National Map Policy-2005.
4. The Ministry of Rural Development has released Rs. 23,443.09 crore to the States as first tranche for Financial Year 2017-18 under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
The amount released includes all pending liabilities as on 31st March 2017. It is also to ensure priority work on water conservation measures.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The first rail freight service from the United Kingdom to China departed from Essex.
Earlier the first freight train in the opposite direction, from China to the UK had arrived in London in January 2017.
The train service was launched as part of China’s ambitious One Belt, One Road (OBOR) initiative that aims to revive the ancient Silk Road trading routes with the West dating back more than 2,000 years
Awards & Recognition:
1. Colson Whitehead’s celebrated novel The Underground Railroad has won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
List of 2017 Pulitzer Prize Winners is as follows: –
Letters, Drama & Music
|Fiction||The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead|
|Drama||Sweat by Lynn Nottage|
|History||Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy, by Heather Ann Thompson|
|Biography or Autobiography||The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between, by Hisham Matar|
|Poetry||Olio, by Tyehimba Jess (Wave Books)|
|General Nonfiction||Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City, by Matthew Desmond|
|Music||Angel’s Bone, by Du Yun|
|Public Service||New York Daily News and ProPublica|
|Breaking News Reporting||Staff of East Bay Times, Oakland|
|Investigative Reporting||Eric Eyre of Charleston Gazette-Mail, Charleston/|
|Explanatory Reporting||International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, McClatchy and Miami Herald|
|Local Reporting||The Salt Lake Tribune Staff|
|National Reporting||David A. Fahrenthold of The Washington Post|
|International Reporting||The New York Times Staff|
|Feature Writing||J. Chivers of The New York Times|
|Commentary||Peggy Noonan of The Wall Street Journal|
|Criticism||Hilton Als of The New Yorker|
|Editorial Writing||Art Cullen of The Storm Lake Times, Storm Lake|
|Editorial Cartooning||Jim Morin of Miami Herald|
|Breaking News Photography||Daniel Berehulak, freelance photographer|
|Feature Photography||Jason Wambsgans of Chicago Tribune|
Books & Authors:
1. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Hamid Ansari has received the first copy of the Book titled ‘Hope in a challenged democracy; An Indian narrative’ authored by Shri Ashwini Kumar, from the former Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh.
The former Chief Justice of India, Justice M.N. Venkatachaliah and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. E-commerce major Flipkart raised USD 1.4 billion from Tencent, eBay and Microsoft at post transaction valuation of USD 11.6 billion.
In exchange for an equity stake in Flipkart, eBay is making a cash investment of USD 500 million and selling its India business to the company.
Even as eBay has sold its India business Flipkart, not all of its employees in India will be absorbed by the Bangalore-based company.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Senior bureaucrats Ajit Kumar Srivastava and Shabri Bhattasali were appointed members of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), the apex policy making body of the Income Tax department.
The role of the CBDT is to provide inputs for policy and planning of direct taxes in the country and the statutory authority also administers the direct tax laws through Income Tax Department.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. ESAF Small Finance Bank has launched a social deposit scheme called Hrudaya Deposit at a function held in Thrissur.
The deposit scheme, as the name suggests, stands for a social cause, through which, ESAF Bank provides the customers an opportunity to be a part in social welfare projects, which none of the other banks has given so far, said K. Paul Thomas, Managing Director, and CEO, ESAF Small Finance Bank.
2. The Bank Board Bureau (BBB) has recommended that Government should bring in reforms in the compensation process in public sector banks (PSBs) on the lines of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs).
BBB has suggested compensation reforms in PSBs so that best practices can be introduced ‘on the lines already prevalent in CPSEs.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Lok Sabha has passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2016 by a voice vote to give more thrust to road safety, controlling pollution and accidents.
The bill seeks to amend the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 that provides for legal standards for motor vehicles, grant of driving licenses, and penalties for violation of these provisions.
2. Lok Sabha has passed Constitution 123rd Amendment Bill, 2017 which seeks to give constitutional status to National Commission for Backward Classes.
The bill was passed by the house with 360 MPs voting in favor and 2 against the bill.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Australia have signed six agreements in various fields such as terrorism, sports, health, environment, aviation sector to boost bilateral cooperation.
Cooperation in Sports
Cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine
Cooperation in the field of Environment, Climate and Wildlife
Promotion and Development of Cooperation in Civil Aviation Security
Cooperation in Combatting International Terrorism and Transnational Organized Crime
Implementation arrangement between ISRO and Geoscience Australia on Cooperation in Earth Observation and Satellite Navigation
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image Courtesy: Google Images