Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. National Productivity Week will be held from 12th to 18th February 2017.
National Development Council is an autonomous body under Commerce and Industry ministry.
The theme chosen for this year’s observance is “From Waste to Profits-through Reduce, Recycle and Reuse”.
The council was set up with the objective of stimulating and promoting productivity and quality consciousness across all sectors in the country.
2. The Fairy Queen the oldest surviving functional steam engine in the world is once again ready to haul a heritage train from National Capital Delhi to Rewari, Haryana after a gap of 5 years.
The train will run between Delhi Cantonment Station and Rewari from 11th February 2017 for a single day trip.
It was certified by the Guinness Book of Records in 1998 as the world’s oldest steam locomotive in regular operation.
The train has also received a National Tourism Award for the most innovative and unique tourism project.
3. Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers, Shri Ananth Kumar inaugurates Orientation Programme for launching of 1000 Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras (PMBJKs).
The workshop was targeted to educate and channelize youth to synergize their efforts for taking ahead the mission to open 3000 PMBJKs by March 2017.
Authenticity, Availability and Affordability (3As) must be emphasized while opening PMBJKs across the country.
4. Union Government has constituted interdepartmental task force to crackdown on benami firms.
It is first major post-demonetization move undertaken by Government for unearthing black money.
The task force will be headed by Revenue Secretary and Corporate Affairs Secretary to monitor the actions taken by various agencies.
5. The Union Minister of Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan released the world’s first comprehensive Braille atlas for nearly 50 lakh visually challenged people in New Delhi, India.
This is for the first time that such atlas has been prepared for physically challenged with such minute details.
The Braille Atlas has been prepared by National Atlas and Thematic Mapping Organization (NATMO) under Department of Science & Technology.
The Atlas has 20 maps on different themes.
International – Across the Globe:
1. China has released the theme and the cooperation priorities of the 2017 BRICS Summit which is scheduled to begin in September in Xiamen.
The theme for 2017 BRICS Summit is BRICS: Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future.
It will also feature five key priorities such as deepening cooperation, strengthening global governance, carrying out people-to-people exchanges, making institutional improvements and building broader partnerships.
Sports & Athletics:
1. The official mascot of the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017 ‘Kheleao’ was unveiled at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi.
Sports Minister Vijay Goel and AIFF presidnt Praful Patel, introduced a clouded leopard called Kheleo, to hundreds of football fans
The clouded leopard is an endangered wild cat whose habitat extends from the Himalayan foothills to mainland Southeast Asia.
2. Mission XI Million, the biggest school sport outreach programme was launched by the Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goel.
It will encourage children to play football, gain healthy habits and learn important life lessons in teamwork and sportsman spirit.
The approach is to work with school principals and sports teachers and encourage them to make children play football games on regular basis.
3. Virat Kohli becomes first batsman to score four double-centuries in four straight series.
Kohli scored his fourth double century for India against Bangladesh in Hyderabad.
He became the second captain to score four double centuries for his country.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. The government has appointed senior bureaucrat Ajay Tyagi as the new chairman of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
He will have tenure of 5 years or till the age of 65 years or until further orders.
He will succeed UK Sinha whose term ends on 1st March, 2017.
Prior to this appointment, he was Additional secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, handling the capital market division.
2. Hemant Bhargava has been appointed as the managing director of Life Insurance Corporation of India.
Presently Bhargava is the zonal manager (I/C) in Delhi.
He has been appointed by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet as managing director up to 31st July, 2019 or until further orders.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Hindustan Motors sells iconic Ambassador car brand to French carmaker Peugeot.
The C K Birla Group-owned Hindustan Motors formalized the deal for Rs.80 crore.
The Ambassador brand was introduced seven decades ago when Hindustan Motors launched the Morris Oxford series II (Landmaster) in a new avatar with minor changes.
Science & Technology:
1. Advanced Air Defence (AAD) interceptor missile dubbed as Ashwin was successfully test-fired from launching complex-IV of Dhamara Abdul Kalam defence base off Odisha coast.
The success of test has boosted India’s position in the exclusive club of AAD countries United States, Russia and Israel.
The interceptor missile is a 7.5-metre-long single stage solid rocket propelled guided missile.
1. United Nations International Day of Women and Girls in Science was observed on 11th February 2017.
The day is an opportunity for all to take a stand for girls and women in science.
The United Nations adopted this day to achieve full and equal access to and participation in science for women and girls and attain gender equality.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images