Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Information and Broadcasting ministry has framed a New Print Media Advertisement Policy.
The policy is will help for Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity (DAVP).
The objective of the policy is to promote transparency and accountability in issuing of advertisements in print media.
DAVP is the nodal agency of the Union Government for advertising on behalf of various Ministries and Departments which are funded by the government.
2. The Indian unit of search giant Google Inc and Tata Trusts have jointly launched ‘Internet Saathi’ program in Purulia district of West Bengal.
The program has been launched as a part of Google’s ‘Helping Women Get Online’ campaign.
The aim is to create awareness about the benefits of Internet among women in rural India.
3. Union Railways Ministry has flagged off Champaran Satyagrah Express train at a function in Motihari, Bihar.
The train was flagged off by Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu.
This train will run between Bapudham, Motihari to Anand Vihar, Delhi.
The train has been introduced to mark 100 years of the historic Champaran Satyagraha (movement) launched by Mahatma Gandhi in 1917.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The Global Peace Index (GPI) has been released by global think Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP).
India was ranked 141 for year 2016 out of 163 countries, making it less peaceful country.
India has moved up two positions from 143rd rank in 2015 GPI.
Top 10 peaceful countries are Iceland (1st), Denmark (2nd), Austria (3rd), New Zealand (4th), Portugal (5th), Czech Republic (6th), Switzerland (7th), Canada (8th), Japan (9th) and Slovenia (10th).
Top least peaceful countries are Pakistan (153rd), Libya (154th), Sudan (155th), Ukraine (156th), Central African Republic (157th), Yemen (158th), Somalia (159th), Afghanistan (160th), Iraq (161st), South Sudan (162nd) and Syria (163rd).
GPI is an annual report published by the Sydney (Australia) based Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) since 2007.
2. NATO launches Joint Military Exercise “Anaconda-16”.
The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) launches it in Poland.
It is a part of NATO’s exercise program.
3. India, Japan and United States (US) navies have kicked off 2016 MALABAR trilateral naval Exercise near South China Sea.
This year it is the 20th edition of the naval exercise in which over 100 aircraft and 22 naval ships including a nuclear submarine are participating.
Aim of exercise is to increase interoperability amongst the three navies and develop common understanding of procedures for Maritime Security Operations.
1. Cristiano Ronaldo tops Forbes 2016 list of World’s Highest Paid Athlete.
He is the first athlete to get this recognition.
The earning of Ronaldo has marked as 88 million US Dollars.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Akhil Sharma, an Indian American author has won the prestigious 2016 International Dublin Literary Award.
He received the award for his novel ‘family life‘.
The Award is organized and sponsored by Dublin City Council and at €100,000 is the world’s largest prize for a single novel published in English.
2. Tata Power Solar has bagged the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) award.
The award was given for rooftop solar power projects.
The company has won the award in the Channel Partner/EPC contractor category at the National Excellence Awards 2016 instituted by MNRE for the first time.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Narendra Kumar Yadav, Chairman and Managing Director of Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) has resigned.
Now Director (finance) P K Purwar has been given additional charge of the CMD’s post.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. State Bank of India (SBI) and Spain’s CaixaBank have inked pact to provide loans to Indo-Spanish joint ventures and local enterprises.
Under this agreement, they will expand banks’ guarantee transaction businesses.
They will jointly provide credit to Indian-Spanish joint ventures and Indian local enterprises.
2. IMF Releases 1.5 billion dollars to Sri Lanka.
International Monetary Fund (IMF) approved the loan to support the South Asian Island’s nation’s economic forum agenda.
Science & Technology:
1. The Union Ministry of Power has launched Surya Mitra mobile App.
It will serve customers in the field of renewable energy.
The app was launched by Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal at National Workshop on Rooftop Solar Power held in New Delhi.
2. Four elements on the Periodic Table get new names.
Meet nihonium (Nh), moscovium (Mc), tennessine (Ts) and oganesson (Og), the newest elements on the periodic table to receive names.
They were formerly known by their respective atomic numbers 113, 115, 117 and 118.
The elements were recognized by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, or IUPAC, the U.S.-based world authority on chemistry, on December 30, 2015. Their addition completed the seventh row of the periodic table.
Finding difficulty in remembering things that you learn? Must read How to Enhance Your Learning Skills?
1. Maharastra Government to observe 21st of every month as Yoga Day.
This will be celebrated across all the schools, colleges, and universities.
Every district will set up a Yoga Day Committee to plan “Yoga Mahotsav”.
1. Legendary Canadian ice hockey player Gordie Howe passed away at Toledo, US. He was 88.
He was also known as Mr Hockey.
He had spent most of his career with the Detroit Red Wings, winning the Stanley Cup four times.
He was in the top 10 of scorers for 21 consecutive years and was named most valuable player six times before finally retiring in 1980.
2. T S John, Former Kerala assembly speaker has passed away at a hospital at Chertala in Alapuzha. He was (74-year).
He was suffering from old age related ailments.
John had served as a minister in the A K Antony cabinet.
Daily GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images