Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. PM Narendra Modi and Chief Justice J S Khehar launched Integrated Court Management Information System scheme for complete digitization of litigation in all courts, which in the first phase promises paperless filing of appeals in the Supreme Court from 3rd July 2017.
Under the scheme, once a petition was filed in a court, there was no need to replicate the paper work before each appellate court.
2. Government has set up a high-level task force to compute timely data on employment in the country.
The move will help the government to frame policies and take steps that can create jobs in the country.
3. Discovery Communications plans to launch Discovery JEET, a new Hindi entertainment channel across India that will be started by the end of 2017.
After its launch, the channel will be airing a 65-episode scripted biopic series on Baba Ramdev with title Swami Baba Ramdev: The Untold Story.
4. The Home Ministry has instructed 5,845 Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) to open their accounts in banks having core banking facilities.
The NGOs are also required to furnish the account details for real-time access of security agencies in case of any discrepancy.
The move is aimed at checking “errant” NGOs especially those organizations receiving foreign funding.
5. Kochi Metro will employ 23 members from the transgender community.
These 23 workers will be a part of the 530 Kudumbasree workers to be employed at 11 stations in the Kochi Metro.
6. A five-judge bench headed by Chief Justice of India JS Khehar has begun hearing petitions challenging the practice of triple talaq.
The lead petition has been titled Quest for Equality vs Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind.
The Supreme Court will complete hearing of the petitions before 19th May.
7. The Income Tax department launched a new e-facility to link a person’s Aadhaar with the Permanent Account Number (PAN).
The department urged people to ensure that the date of birth and gender in PAN and Aadhaar are exactly the same, to ensure linkage without failure.
Under the Finance Act 2017, it is mandatory for taxpayers to quote Aadhaar or enrolment ID of the Aadhaar application form for filing income tax returns (ITR).
International – Across the Globe:
1. PM Narendra Modi will attend the biggest Buddhist festival International Day of Vesak in Colombo, Sri Lanka as its chief guest.
The celebrations will be held from 12th-14th May 2017.
It would include an International Buddhist Conference that would witness the participation of over 400 delegates from more than 100 countries.
2. The 29th India–Indonesia CORPAT has commenced at Port Blair under the aegis of Andaman and Nicobar Command.
The bilateral exercise is scheduled to be held from 9th to 25th May.
The bilateral exercise aims to enhance mutual understanding and inter–operability between the two navies.
3. India and Russia agreed to work closely in various sectors, including security, nuclear energy, and disaster management.
The decision was taken during Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dimitry Rogozin’s visit to India to attend India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission (IRIGC-TEC) meeting.
4. India has protested the participation of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at Khalsa Day in Toronto.
The Khalsa Day event was organized to mark the Sikh new year.
Trudeau has become the first Canadian PM to attend the ‘Khalsa Day’ event in a decade since Paul Martin in 2005.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Harpreet Singh bagged a bronze medal in Greco-Roman 80kg category at Asian Wrestling Championship.
He defeated Junjie Na of China by 3-2.
2. Former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly was named skipper of Cricket Australia’s Greatest Champions Trophy XI, which also features ex-Indian captain Rahul Dravid as wicketkeeper.
The two are the only Indians in the team, which does not include Sachin Tendulkar.
The team features three Australians, including former players Damien Martyn, Glenn McGrath and Shane Watson.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Konkona Sen Sharma grabbed the top honours at the 2017 New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF).
Konkona won the Best Director award for her directorial debut A Death in the Gunj and the Best Actress award for Lipstick Under My Burkha at 2017 NYIFF.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. To promote a cash-less economy, cashback portal Cashkro.com has tied up with YES Bank to launch card-linked offers as part of its loyalty programme for both offline and online shoppers.
The offer will be currently available on all YES BANK debit cards, and will be extended to all other payment products of YES Bank in the near future.
2. Paytm has signed a non-exclusive term sheet to acquire Snapdeal-owned digital payments platform FreeCharge.
The deal, estimated at between USD 45 million and USD 90 million, could be finalised in a month.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of 7 secretaries in different sectors.
Sanjay Mitra appointed as the next defence secretary with a fixed tenure of two years. He was the secretary in the ministry of road transport and highways.
Anant Kumar Singh, appointed as the secretary in the textiles ministry.
Rashmi Verma, appointed as the secretary in the ministry of tourism.She was the secretary in the textiles ministry.
Rakesh Srivastava, appointed as the next secretary in the ministry of woman and child development.
Jagdish Prasad Meena appointed as the secretary in the department of consumer affairs.
Leena Nair, appointed as the secretary in the ministry of tribal affairs.
BR Sharma, appointed as the additional secretary in the home ministry.
2. Newly-elected South Korean President Moon Jae-in appointed South Jeolla Province Governor Lee Nak-yon as prime minister.
Moon also offered Suh Hoon to lead the South Korean intelligence agency and Im Jong-seok to serve as the presidential chief of staff.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India’s first International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) at Gujarat International Finance-Tec City (GIFT) signed MoU with Gujarat National Law University (GNLU).
MoU was signed to collaborate on efforts for Skill Development in the field of International Financial Services & Regulations.
Under (MoU), GNLU will introduce a new course on IFSC from its June 2017 Semester.
It will also organize for Lawyers covering IFSC, International Arbitration and related fields.
Science & Technology:
1. Technology giant Oracle has launched its cloud computing service for India, which aims to support the government’s GST rollout in July and plans to open data centres in the country.
In an effort to simplify the tax regime in India and to ensure higher compliance with tax laws, Oracle’s ERP solution aims to provide support for GST Network integration, statutory reporting, payment processing, among others.
In the GST regime, companies will have to upgrade their ERP systems.
1. National Technology Day is being observed across India on 11th May to mark India’s technological advancements.
2017 National Technology Day Theme: Technology for inclusive and sustainable growth.
The day is being commemorated to celebrate the anniversary of first of the five tests of Operation Shakti (Pokhran-II) nuclear test, held on 11th May 1998 in Pokhran, Rajasthan.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images