Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Kolkata city will set to have an India’s first underwater transportation tunnel Metro Rail Service under the river Hoogly.
The project connects Howrah to the west and Salt Lake to the east and has a stretch of 16.6 km with 12 stations.
The cost of the project will be around 60 crores and is expected to be completed by December 2019.
2. Maharashtra government announced a loan waiver for farmers after a meeting between the panel on ministers and representative of farmers.
The government decided to form a committee to decide for debt relief.
3. The Union government launched ‘Tele-Law Service’ – a program aimed at providing legal aid services in rural areas through digital technology.
The program is a continuation of the Access to Justice Project to Marginalized Persons implemented by UNDP in 2008.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The United Nations has held its first ever Ocean Conference on protecting the world’s seas and waterways.
Member nations are using the Ocean Conference to renew their commitment to combatting rising sea levels, pollution, and harmful fishing practices.
It was co-hosted by the Governments of Fiji and Sweden.
Sports & Athletics:
1. The 2017 French Open was held from 28th May to 11th June 2017 at a Roland Garros Stadium, Paris, France. Here is the list of winners to the tournament.
|Category||Name of the Winner|
|Men’s Single’s||Rafael Nadal (Spain)|
|Women’s Single||Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia)|
|Men’s Doubles||Michael Venus (New Zealand)-Ryan Harrison (United States)|
|Women’s Doubles||Bethanie Mattek-Sands (United States) / Luice Safarova (Czech Republic)|
|Mixed Doubles||Gabriela Dabrowski (Canada) / Rohan Bopanna (India)|
2. England won the FIFA under-20 World Cup final at Suwon World Cup Stadium by defeating Venezuela team.
The FIFA U- 20 is the world championship of Football for male players under the age of 20.
3. Lewis Hamilton has won Canadian Grand Prix by defeating Valtteri Bottas in the finals.
Sebastian Vettel finished at the fourth
Awards & Recognition:
1. Bengali actor, Soumitra Chatterjee conferred with the France’s highest civilian honor, the Legion of Honour.
The award will be presented by the Ambassador of France to India Alexandre Ziegler.
2. Dr. Sudam Kate received the prestigious “2017 Sickle Cell Advocate of the Year” award.
The award is presented to the doctor for his “extraordinary work” in sickle cell screening and research.
He is first Indian to receive this International award.
Books & Authors:
1. The book “Indira Gandhi – A life in Nature” was launched by Congress president Sonia Gandhi at the Indira Gandhi Memorial.
Former Union minister Jairam Ramesh, who has authored the book published by Simon & Schuster, presented the first copy of the book to the Congress President.
The book would be made available in a number of languages including Hindi, Malayali, Kannada and some others.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Amit Sinha, the Vice President of Business and Human Resources at Paytm’s Parent Company One97 Communications appointed as the Chief Operating Officer of Paytm Mall.
He will be responsible for overall operations of Paytm Mall and expand the team to ensure customers have access to the widest assortment of products.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. GST Council has revised the rates of 66 items for Goods and Services Tax which will be effective from 1st July.
The items include pickles, sauces, fruit preserves, insulin, cashew nuts, insulin, school bags, coloring books, notebooks, printers, cutlery, agar batties and cinema tickets, following representations from industry.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Mauritius signed a pact to institutionalize Parliamentary Cooperation of the two countries.
The MoU was signed by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan and Speaker of National Assembly of Mauritius Santi Bai Hanoomanjee after their meeting in Port Louis.
Science & Technology:
1. United States-based aviation company Cirrus Aircraft launched the world’s smallest and most affordable private jet called ‘Vision Jet’ for 12.62 crores.
It has a maximum operating altitude of 28,000 feet and takes off from just 620 meters of runway.
1. The World Day against Child Labour is being observed annually across the world on 12th June to bring awareness against child labour.
The aim of the day is to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it.
The theme for the year 2017 is In conflicts and disasters, protect children from child labour.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Telugu poet and writer Cingireddi Narayana Reddy passed away.
He is Jnanpith awardee and also the country’s third-highest civilian honor, Padma Vibhushan.
He also served as Vice-Chancellor of Telugu University and held important academic and administrative positions in the state.
2. Adam West, the US actor best known as the star of the 1960s hit TV series Batman, has died aged 88.
Five years ago, in 2012, West was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images