Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. India and Australia have launched Sports partnership in Mumbai aimed at increasing cooperation in sports.
The partnership will advance India – Australia cooperation in four areas: – Athlete and coach training & development, sport science, sport governance and integrity, and grassroots participation.
2. The President of India conferred the National Geoscience Awards 2016 (#NGA2016) on 26 geoscientists in New Delhi.
They were presented the award for their meritorious contributions in eleven fields of geosciences.
Abhishek Saha from National Institute of Oceanography Goa who got the Young Scientist Award was especially lauded by the President.
3. The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of a Special Purpose Vehicle called Government e-Marketplace (GeM SPV).
It aims for procurement of goods & services required by Central & State Government organizations.
It will replace the Directorate General of Supplies and Disposal (DGS&D) under the Ministry of Commerce.
4. The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh as Institute of National Importance through an Act of Parliament.
The Cabinet also approved Rs 655.46 crore as capital expenditure to set up IIPE and contribution of Rs 200 crore towards its Endowment Fund.
Sports & Athletics:
1. The International Cricket Council has announced eight stalwarts of the modern era as Champion Ambassadors for this summer’s ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
Shahid Afridi- Pakistan.
Habibul Bashar- Bangladesh.
Ian Bell- England.
Shane Bond- New Zealand.
Mike Hussey- Australia.
Harbhajan Singh- India.
Kumar Sangakkara- Sri Lanka.
Graeme Smith- South Africa.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Nobel Peace laureate Malala Yousafzai became only the sixth person to receive honorary Canadian citizenship.
She is also the youngest to receive honorary Canadian citizenship — a privilege previously granted to five others, including Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama and Myanmar’s Aung San Suu Kyi.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Justice Gita Mittal has been appointed as the acting Chief justice of Delhi High Court with effect from 14th April 2017.
Her appointment comes at the backdrop of the retirement of current Chief justice Gorla Rohini.
She was appointed as the Chief Justice by exercising his powers conferred by article 223 of the Constitution of India.
2. Mahabaleshwara Mavinakudige Subrahmanya is appointed as the new MD and CEO of Karnataka Bank Ltd.
He will succeed Polali Jayarama Bhat.
3. Achim Steiner was named as the new administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) by the UN chief Antonio Guterres.
He will succeed Helen Clark, a former New Zealand prime minister.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Union government has constituted an Inter-Disciplinary Committee to examine the framework for virtual Currencies.
The committee is required to submit its report within three months.
2. The CCEA has approved the increase in the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for raw Jute for the 2017-18 season in order to protect the economic interests of the farmers.
The MSP was increased to Rs. 3500/- per quintal for the 2017-18 season, an increase of Rs. 300/- (9.4%) over the previous year.
3. President Pranab Mukherjee has given his approval to four supporting legislations related to Goods and Services Tax (GST).
The legislations were The Central GST Act, 2017, The Integrated GST Act, 2017, The GST (Compensation to States) Act, 2017, and The Union Territory GST Act, 2017.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of MoU for the establishment of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Grid Interconnection.
It provides the broad framework for members to cooperate towards implementation of grid interconnections for electricity trade to promote rational and optimal power transmission in BIMSTEC region.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Badminton Association of India (BAI) president and former Union Minister Akhilesh Das Gupta passed away after suffering a heart attack.
He was a prominent Educationist, Professor, Indian Politician & Philanthropist.
He held the office of the Minister for Steel from January 2006 till May 2008 under Dr. Manmohan Singh Government during UPA-I.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images