Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Ministry of Railways launched three passenger service initiatives.
The services are as follows:
Janani Sewa under which hot milk, hot water and baby food will be available at railway stations.
Optional catering services project
Children’s menu on trains’ scheme
These services were launched by Union Railways minister Suresh Prabhu on 8th June 2016 in New Delhi.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Norway has become the first country in the world to prohibit deforestation.
Norwegian Parliament had pledged to make government’s public procurement policy deforestation-free.
Norwegian Government has taken steps based on official recommendations of Norwegian Parliament’s Standing Committee on Energy and Environment as part of the Action Plan on Nature Diversity.
1. Saina Nehwal, Ace Indian shuttler has won the 2016 Australian Open Super Series Badminton tournament title in women’s singles category.
In the final match played at Sydney, she defeated Chinese Sun Yu by 11-21, 21-14, 21-19 score.
It was her first title of year 2016 season and overall second Australian Open title of her career.
She won her first Australian Open title in 2014.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The markets regulator SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) has put in place a stricter KYC (Know Your Customer) norms and disclosure regime for Participatory Notes (P-Notes).
P-Notes are offshore/overseas derivative instruments (ODIs) issued by registered foreign institutional investors (FII) to overseas investors.
They provide easier and cost-effective route to foreign investors to invest in Indian markets without directly registering as Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs).
The aim of SEBI’s stricter KYC, disclosure norms is to make it tougher to use these offshore instruments that do not disclose the money-trail and details of their users.
Science & Technology:
1. China has successfully launched a 23rd BeiDou Navigation Satellite.
It was launched to support its global navigation and positioning network.
It was launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China’s Sichuan Province on board of Long March-3C carrier rocket.
BNS is 2nd generation of the Chinese navigational system seen as rival to the US’s Global Positioning System (GPS).
2. Scientists from Iceland have discovered a new way to trap the greenhouse gas (GHG) carbon dioxide (CO2) deep underground by changing it into rock.
The new way was discovered as by Scientists from Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory and other institutions as part of a pilot program called CarbFix project.
The pilot program was launched in 2012 at the Hellisheidi power plant- the world’s largest geothermal facility in Iceland.
1. The World Day Against Child Labour is being observed annually across world on 12 June.
It is celebrated to bring awareness against child labour.
2016 Theme for celebrating the day was ‘End child labour in supply chains – It’s everyone’s business’ which focuses on child labour and supply chains.
1. Achyut Lahkar, veteran theatre personality, playwright and doyen of Assam’s mobile theatre movement passed away in Pathsala, Assam following a protracted illness. He was 85.
He was considered as the father of the Bhryamyman (Mobile Theatre of Assam).
He had given birth to mobile theatre in Assam in the 1960s.
He was awarded with Kamal Kumari National Award (1997), Mancha Prabhakar Award, Bhaben Barua Award and Braja Nath Sarma Award.
2. Inder Malhotra, famous journalist, editor and author passed away. He was 86.
He passed away following illness in New Delhi.
He had served as a resident editor of The Times of India and The Statesman.
In his journalistic career he had mapped the ebb and flow of the Indian politics under every Prime Minister of independent India.
He also received Ramnath Goenka Lifetime Achievement Award (2013).
Daily GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
Image courtesy: Google Images