Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has decided to share online scores of candidates taking competitive exams in order to boost hiring by the private sector.
The scores of the candidates taking part in the competitive exams will be linked to the Integrated Information System for Public Recruitment Agencies.
The scores made available in the website will act as a useful database for other employers to identify good, employable candidates.
2. India’s first electric radio cabs will be launched in Nagpur on 26th May 2017.
The pilot project will see around 200 e-cabs in Nagpur with the local body to provide for the charging stations across the city.
International – Across the Globe:
1. PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated a hospital in Dickoya in Central Province of Sri Lanka, built with Indian assistance.
Prime Minister later addressed a large gathering of Indian Origin Tamils at Norwood.
He also met representatives of the Ceylon Workers Congress, and the Tamil Progressive Alliance.
2. 19th Session of India-Italy Joint Commission for Economic Cooperation was held during 11th – 12th May 2017 in Rome.
Both Sides reiterated the importance of the JCEC towards the development of bilateral economic and trade relations through facilitating dialogue and enhancing cooperation on a wide range of issues of mutual interest.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Phogat and Divya Kakran has won silver medals at the Asian Wrestling Championship at the KD Jadhav Stadium in New Delhi.
Vinesh and Sakshi has won medals in the 55kg and 60kg categories respectively.
Kakran won a silver medal in the 69kg category.
2. Chelsea have been crowned 2016-17 Premier League champions after beating West Bromwich Albion 1-0 at the Hawthorns.
Substitute Michy Batshuayi’s dramatic 82nd-minute winner gave Chelsea the Premier League.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Forbes Middle East has declared top 100 Indian business leaders.
Retail Mogul Yusuff Ali and Pepsico executive Sanjeev Chadha are among the top 100 Indian business leaders in the Arab World 2017.
Ali, Managing Director of Lulu Group International topped the Indian business owners category and Chadha, CEO, Asia, Middle East and Africa at PepsiCo International led the Indian executives category.
2. Former India batsman V V S Laxman was awarded an honorary life membership to the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
Laxman is the fifth Indian to receive the honour, after Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly and Zaheer Khan.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Diplomat Vinay Mohan Kwatra has been appointed as India’s next ambassador to France.
He is currently serving as joint secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Kwatra will succeed Mohan Kumar who is due to retire soon.
2. The World Health Organisation or WHO appointed Amitabh Bachchan as its goodwill ambassador for hepatitis in South-East Asia region.
He was appointed to boost awareness and intensify action to arrest the Hepatitis epidemic.
3. Scientist and former director general of DRDO, V K Saraswat, was appointed as Chancellor of Jawaharlal Nehru University for five years.
Saraswat succeeds former ISRO chairman K Kasturirangan, who completed his term on 30th March 2017.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. RBI has put restriction on UCO Bank’s lending and branch expansion plans as the state-run lender made net losses for the two-successive fiscal amid severe stress on asset quality.
UCO Bank has become the second lender to face business restrictions after IDBI Bank.
There would be check on management compensation and directors’ fees as well as the sector regulator has invoked prompt corrective action (PCA) for the bank, aiming to bring it back on recovery path.
2. The government has revised the base year of Wholesale Price Index (WPI) and Index of Industrial production (IIP) to 2011-12 from 2004-05.
The new series of IIP will include 809 manufacturing products and 55 mining products that are re-grouped into 521 item groups.
The number of items covered in the new series of the WPI has increased from 676 to 697.
Science & Technology:
1. Tejas, the Light Combat Aircraft has successfully test fired Derby Air-to-Air Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile in RADAR guided mode.
The test was performed on a Manoeuvrable Aerial Target at the Interim Test Range (ITR), Chandipur.
To assess the Derby integration with aircraft systems on-board Tejas including the aircraft avionics, fire-control radar, launchers and Missile Weapon Delivery System and evaluate its performance.
2. The Border Security Force will make use of a newly developed technology Kavach (KVx).
It is capable of detecting intrusions and relaying information to the nearest post for action to safeguard the 198 km India-Pakistan international border in Jammu and Kashmir.
The technology developed by the Delhi-based defence IoT firm, CRON Systems is expected to bolster BSF’s defences amid strained ties and increase in the number of infiltration bids and ceasefire violations.
3. Union Minister J P Nadda has launched new Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine, PCV, for Pneumonia at Lal Bahadur Shastri Medical College Hospital in Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh.
The vaccine would help in controlling pneumonia and reducing the child mortality rate.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Karan Singh, Himachal Pradesh Cabinet Minister passed away at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Delhi.
He was suffering from cancer.
He represented the Banjar assembly constituency in Himachal Pradesh Assembly.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images