Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1.The Election Commission (EC) finished vote counting for 2017 Assembly election results in five states, including Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Goa and Manipur.
BJP won the 2017 Assembly Elections of Uttar Pradesh State.
Congress won assembly elections in Punjab state.
Congress won Manipur state Assembly elections.
BJP won assembly elections of Uttarakhand state
Congress won assembly elections of Goa.
2. The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare launched Mission Fingerling.
A programme aimed at achieving the Blue Revolution by enabling holistic development and management of fisheries.
The main motive behind this programme is to enhance the fisheries production from 10.79 mmt (2014-15) to 15 mmt by 2020-21.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Vienna has topped consulting firm Mercer’s list of cities offering the highest quality of life while Baghdad is again considered the worst place to live.
The survey of 231 cities helps companies and organizations determine compensation and hardship allowances for international staff.
Singapore was the highest ranked Asian city, at 25 while 29th-placed San Francisco was the United States’ highest entry.
2. Pakistan is set to conduct its first national census in 19 years with the assistance of over 200,000 troops.
The National census will be conducted in two phases from 15th March and will be completed on 25th May 2017.
3. Bangladesh’s unanimously adopted a resolution declaring 25th March as Genocide Day.
The day will be observed in remembrance of the atrocities carried out by the Pakistani Army in the night of 25th March, 1971.
4. United Kingdom parliament gave its approval for Prime Minister Theresa May to start Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union.
The House of Lords rejected a last-ditch attempt to amend a bill empowering May to begin Brexit.
5. Sri Lanka has sought an extension of two more years from the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) to probe into the alleged war crimes that were committed during the three-decade long civil war with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
Sports & Athletics:
1. All England Badminton Championship 2017 was held in Barclaycard Arena from 7th March to 12th March 2017. Here is the list of winners.
Men’s Single: Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei.
Women’s Single: China’s Tai Tzu-ying.
Men’s Double: Indonesia’s Marcus Gideon and Kevin Sukamuljo.
Women’s Double: South Korea’s Chang Ye Na and Lee So Hee.
Mixed Double: China’s Lu Kai and Huang Yaqiong.
2. Goa faced Meghalaya in the opener of a Group A league match of the 71st Santosh Trophy at the SAG Athletics Stadium in Goa.
The Santosh Trophy has returned to Goa after 21 years.
3. SSP Chawrasia defended the Hero Indian Open title 2017with a remarkable seven-stroke win in New Delhi.
He is only the second Indian golfer after Jyoti Randhawa to successfully defend the Hero Indian Open.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Zee Cine Awards 2017 was held in Mumbai. Here is the list of some of the winners.
Best Film: Pink.
Best Actor Female: Alia Bhatt – Udta Punjab.
Best Actor Male: Amitabh Bachchan – Pink.
Best Actor in a Comic Role: Rishi Kapoor – Kapoor and Sons.
Viewer’s Choice Best Film: Dangal.
Viewer’s Choice Best Actor: Salman Khan (Sultan).
Viewer’s Choice Best Actor Female: Anushka Sharma (Sultan).
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Biren Singh of the BJP is appointed as the new Chief Minister of Manipur.
The BJP is set to form the next government in Manipur.
This is for the first time that the BJP is setting up a government in the North -Eastern state of Manipur.
2. Finance minister Arun Jaitley was given the additional charge of the defense ministry.
He was given this charge after Manohar Parrikar resigned to take on the new role of Goa chief minister.
3. HSBC has appointed Mark Tucker, the chief executive of Asian insurer AIA, as group chairman.
He will take over on 1st October, succeeding Douglas Flint who has been in the role since 2010.
4. Seema Verma has been appointed as chief of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
She will be running the US government’s health program for the elderly, poor and disabled.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. ICICI Bank topped the list of banks that witnessed most number of frauds during April-December period of 2016 with state-owned SBI Bank at the second spot.
During the first nine months of the current fiscal, as many as 455 fraud cases involving Rs 1 lakh and above were detected in ICICI Bank, closely followed by SBI (429), Standard Chartered (244) and HDFC Bank (237).
2. All restrictions on cash withdrawal from savings bank account have been removed from 13th March 2017.
Earlier the RBI had issued a notification saying that the withdrawal limit of cash from savings bank accounts will be relaxed to Rs. 50,000 from 20th February.
3. Korea’s Hyundai Engineering Co. Ltd. has signed a deal worth 3 billion euros (USD 3.2 billion) with an Iranian investment fund to invest in a major Iranian oil project.
The agreement covers construction of the second phase of the Kangan Petro Refining Complex in southwest Bushehr province of Iran.
Hyundai Engineering plans to invest 3.1 billion euros which is 95 percent of the overall project cost.
4. Airtel Payments Bank, offered by telecom major Bharti Airtel, announced that over one lakh savings accounts were opened in 100 villages across Tamil Nadu.
Through the initiative, the villages would have access to banking services along with the option of making digital payments.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Malayalam film director Diphan also known as Deepan passed away following liver cirrhosis and kidney failure in a private hospital at Kochi. He was 47.
Diphan is known for his films namely Puthiya Mukham, Hero and SIM.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images