Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Asia’s longest bridge on Brahmaputra will be opened for public on 26th May 2017 coinciding with Modi government’s three years in power.
It is 9.15km long Dhola-Sadiya bridge, capable of withstanding the weight of a 60-tonne battle tank.
It will improve the movement of civilian and military vehicles to strategic locations up to Anini in Arunachal Pradesh.
2. ‘Maa’ Committees will now keep an eye on mid-day meals served to students in the primary schools of Uttar Pradesh to ensure that they get nutritious food prepared in hygienic conditions.
From cleanliness in kitchen, to quality of food being served to children, they will keep an eye on minute details.
3. PM Narendra Modi launched river conservation project Narmada Seva Mission in Madhya Pradesh.
The program gives the conclusion of ‘Namami Devi Narmade Sewa yatra’ launched on 11th December 2016.
The yatra covering a distance of 3,344 km and passing through over 1,100 villages and towns.
4. Indian Railways will install 19,000 high definition CCTV cameras at over 983 stations across the country under the Nirbhaya Fund at an approved cost of Rs 500 crore.
Cameras will be installed in order to ensure round-the-clock security to passengers including women.
5. Home Minister Rajnath Singh will inaugurate the second meeting of National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR) in New Delhi.
The theme of the meeting is Disaster Risk Reduction for Sustainable Development: Making India resilient by 2030.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The United States will be selling high-tech Joint Service Lightweight Integrated Suit Technology (JSLIST) protective clothing worth $75 million to India.
The entire package includes 38,034 M50 general purpose masks, 38,034 units of suits, trousers, gloves, boots and NBC bags; 854 aprons; 854 alternative aprons; 9,509 Quick Doff Hoods; and 114,102 M61 filters.
2. Vedanta Group will be the first to adopt India’s UJALA scheme of replacing all their old lamps with energy-saving LED bulbs in the UK.
Union Minister Piyush Goyal presented them with their first set of LED bulbs during the launch of the EESL expansion plans in the UK, which have been branded as ‘UK Joins Affordable LEDs for All’ (UJALA).
3. President of Palestine Mahmoud Abbas arrived in India on a four-day State visit to India from 14th May 2017.
Memorandum of Understanding MoUs on cooperation in various sectors is also expected to be signed during the visit.
4. India has jumped 73 spots to be ranked 26th in World Bank’s electricity accessibility list.
The country was ranked 99th in 2014.
Out of the 18,452 villages which lacked electricity, over 13,000 has been provided access to electricity.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Arjun Maini, driving for Jenzer Motorsports, created history by becoming the first Indian driver to win a GP3 race when he claimed the sprint race.
The 19-year old scored his first win in two years ahead of Frenchman Dorian Boccolacci and teammate Alessio Lorandi of Italy.
2.Gujarat-basedd dairy giant Amul will be the prime sponsor of the New Zealand cricket team in the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy that starts on 1st June in England.
The Blackcaps would sport a new jersey with the Amul logo on its chest during the tournament.
3. Rafael Nadal defeated Dominic Thiem 7-6, 6-4 in the Madrid Open final to win his third straight title and continue his good form heading into the French Open.
Nadal earned his 15th straight victory on clay and tie Novak Djokovic’s record of 30 career titles in Masters 1000 events.
The triumph at his home tournament gave Nadal his 72nd career title, and 52nd on clay.
4. Lewis Hamilton has won the Spanish Grand Prix from pole position in the Formula One championship.
Mercedes’s Hamilton finished 3.4 seconds ahead of Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.
Third position was occupied by Australian Daniel Ricciardo.
5. India claimed a gold and a bronze at the China World Para Athletics Grand Prix being held in Beijing.
Ramudri Someshwara Rao won a gold medal in the 200m race and Hokato Sema bagged a bronze in shot put.
6. Mumbai Indians defeated Kolkata Knight Riders by nine runs in their last group stage match at the Eden Gardens to finish on top of the Indian Premier League table.
In the process, Mumbai Indians created history, becoming the first T20 team in the world to win 100 games in their entire history.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Chanda Kochhar, MD and CEO, ICICI Bank, was awarded the Woodrow Wilson Award for Global Corporate Citizenship from the Woodrow Wilson Centre in Washington DC.
The award recognized Kochhar’s commitment to the common good – beyond the bottom line – and the work done by ICICI Group in improving the lives of people in the local communities and the world at large.
2. Govardhan Eco Village, set up by the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) in adjoining Thane district, won a Smart Village award for being a sustainable project in rural Maharashtra.
The village of Wada taluka is located 108km north of Mumbai at the foothills of the Sahyadri mountains.
Books & Authors:
1. Hero – A biography of Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar has been released recently. It is written by sports journalist Devendra Prabhudesai .
This book encloses the rich history of Indian cricket along with the enthralling story of a champion in the making.
2. President Pranab Mukherjee has received the first copy of book “India’s Indira: A Centennial Tribute” in New Delhi.
Senior leader Anand Sharma has edited the book.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Ashishkumar Chauhan, the managing director and chief executive officer of BSE is appointed as the new chairman of South Asian Federation of Exchanges (SAFE).
SAFE is a forum of 28 member countries created with the objective of development of capital markets and collectively share, exchange and promote technologies.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and the United Kingdom agreed to MoU on bilateral cooperation between the Indian Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and Britain’s Transport for London (TFL) in the urban transport sector.
Under the proposed MOU, the TFL will share its expertise on the mobility and efficiency of the transport system and methodologies to facilitate the planning and delivery of mobility solutions.
These solutions include ticketing, passenger information, major project financing, infrastructure maintenance strategies and behavioural change and public transport promotion.
2. India and Chile will implement a bilateral expanded Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) from 16th May 2017.
India-Chile PTA which was signed on 6th September 2016.
The expanded PTA has a wider coverage of tariff concessions which covers around 96 percent of bilateral trade.
Science & Technology:
1. Mobile phone companies, network vendors and tower operators are keeping a close watch for any disruption in operations in the aftermath of the deadly ransomware cyber- attack that infected millions of computers in about 100 countries, including India, Russia, China and the UK.
The malware is called ransomware because it first encrypts a victim’s computer files and then demands a payment to decrypt them.
Once this malware enters an organzation’s computer systems, it looks for vulnerable machines and clinically infects them.
1. The International Day of Families is observed on the 15th of May every year.
The Theme of 2017 International Day of Families – “Families, education and well-being”.
This year’s observance focuses on the role of families and family-oriented policies in promoting education and overall well-being of their members.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Former Puducherry Chief Minister S Ramassamy died at his residence after a brief illness.
He was Home Minister in the DMK-CPI coalition ministry from 1969 to 1973.
He was also the Chief Minister in the AIADMK government in 1977, which lasted in office for a little over one year.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images