Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Government has extended the facility of e-Tourist Visa (e-TV) Scheme for citizens of 161 countries.
This period registered a growth of 168.5% over same period of previous year. This indicates success of the e-TV Scheme.
2. The Supreme Court has ordered a ban on all liquor shops on national as well as state highways to reduce drink driving and road accidents that claim thousands of lives every year across the country.
The three-judge SC bench headed by Chief Justice T S Thakur gave its order on a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by an NGO called ‘Arrive Safe’.
3. Haryana became the first state in the country to launch Mahila Police Volunteer (MPV) initiative for safety of women. It was launched by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.
Mahila Police Volunteer is a joint initiative of Union Ministry of Women & Child Development and the Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
4. The Supreme Court ordered that Indian Airforce (IAF) personnel cannot keep beard.
It held that Central Government’s decision to ban beards in the IAF does not infringe upon fundamental rights.
5. The ‘Thal Favang Kut’ festival organized by Department of Tourism, Government of Mizoram began in state capital Aizawl with enthusiasm and fervour.
It is a post-harvest festival which is celebrated after harvesting the paddy.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The fifth edition of the India-Arab Partnership Conference was held in Muscat, Oman from December 14 to 15, 2016.
Theme of the conference was ‘Partnership towards innovation and cooperation in IT’.
2. The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) of United Kingdom has given approval to clinics seeking licences for three parent baby technique or mitochondrial replacement therapy (MRT).
The approval aims to prevent children being born with deadly genetic diseases.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has officially added word ‘Brexit’ in it.
It is among 1,500 new words added to the OED.
2. The UN cultural body UNESCO has accorded world heritage status to Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro (nicknamed as Marvelous City).
It has been registered as “Carioca Landscapes between Mountain and Sea” on the UNESCO world heritage list.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Sunil Arora as Director General and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA).
He will have tenure of 5 years or till attaining 65 years of age.
2. The ACC has appointed VK Sharma as Chairman Life Insurance Corp. of India (LIC), India’s biggest insurer and investor.
He will have tenure of five years.
1. Bangladesh celebrated 45th anniversary of victory over Pakistan and its emergence as a new country on the map of the world on 16th December 1971.
On this day, Chief of Pakistani Army General AAK Niazi along with 93,000 Pakistani troops surrendered to allied forces of Mukti Fouz and Indian Army at Ramna Suhrawardy Udyan in Dhaka following a defeat.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images