Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has tightened rules for mergers and amalgamations by Indian companies in a bid to safeguard the interests of the public shareholders.
Holding of public shareholders post the merger cannot be less than 25%. Similar threshold must be for institutional shareholders of the unlisted entity as well, post-merger.
The new rules will ensure that all classes of shareholders get an equitable treatment during mergers and acquisitions. It will also stop practice using route of merger to get an indirect listing for an unlisted company.
2. The annual Camel festival was held in Bikaner, Rajasthan in the presence of foreign tourists across the world.
The camel festival was held from January 14-January 15.
Rajasthan Tourism Department and the Bikaner district administration has inaugurated this two-day festival.
3. BSNL has launched its Customer Acquisition and Customer Communication Management (CACMS)
This project mainly aims to digitalize business process to provide secure and faster service and customer satisfaction.
The project provides an Aadhar based e-KYC (Know Your Customer) service for immediate activation of new mobile connections across the country.
4. Border Security Force (BSF) on Sunday launched operation ‘Sard Hawa’ at the western international border of Rajasthan, under which vigil will be beefed-up to check the instances of infiltration due to the dense fog in the area.
The operation will continue till 28 January.
Deputy Inspector General (BSF), Ravi Gandhi said that the purpose of the operation is to keep a hawk’s eye on the international border, where vigil has been beefed-up and officers have also been asked to be part of operation to motivate jawans.
5. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) will be by taking part in India’s Republic Day Parade 2017.
UAE will become the first-ever contingent of Arab soldiers to take part in this iconic event.
UAE’s crown prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan will be the Chief Guest of this parade.
6. Madhya Pradesh state govt has inaugurated a first of its kind scheme of the country. The name of the scheme is “Digital Dakiya”.
Under this scheme, a Digital Postman referred as Digital Dakiya would visit door to door in both urban and rural areas.
This scheme mainly aims to train households especially women and elderly people about digitized transactions.
7. The Commerce Secretary has launched a mobile app named ‘SEZ India‘ for Special Economic Zones (SEZs).
It will help the SEZ Units and Developers to find information easily and track their transactions on Online System.
It will also facilitate them to file all their transactions digitally through SEZ Online system and track the status on the go through the SEZ India mobile app.
International – Across the Globe:
1. China has handed over two ships to the Pakistan to safeguard the strategic Gwadar port and trade routes under the ambitious China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
These ships have been named as Hingol and Basol, after two rivers near Gwadar. They will be part of Pakistan Navy and are equipped with state-of-the-art guns. They will be used to protect the sea-lanes in the Arabian Sea.
Besides, China will also provide two more ships to Pakistan Navy which have been named Zhob and Dasht after two districts in Balochistan.
2. The US President Barack Obama has recently announced to end his 20-year economic embargo on Sudan.
Based on the efforts by the Government of Sudan to improve the security in the region, this announcement was made.
Appointments & Recognition:
1. BJP Mumbai unit chief Ashish Shelar has been appointed as Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) president.
He was elected as Vice President of MCA on 17 June 2015.
Shelar takes over from the former ICC president Sharad Pawar.
2. Public broadcaster Prasar Bharati named Rajeev Singh, member (finance) as interim chief executive officer (CEO) at its board meeting in Hyderabad. Prasar Bharati runs Doordarshan and All India Radio.
Singh will replace Suresh Chandra Panda who has been serving as interim CEO since November 2016, after full time chief Jawhar Sircar put in his papers in October.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Gujarat team won its maiden Ranji Trophy title as it defeated defending champions Mumbai in the finals of the 2016-17 edition on 14 January 2017.
Gujarat became only the fourth team to be crowned domestic champions in all three formats.
The other three teams are UP, TN and Bengal. Gujarat won the Ranji trophy after long wait and first in 66 years.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The 62nd Filmfare Awards ceremony has recently held in Mumbai. Kapil Sharma, Karan Johar and Shahrukh Khan. co-hosted this event. on this occasion, Shatrughan Sinha received the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award presented by Sonakshi Sinha.
Best film: Dangal.
Best Director- Nitesh Tiwari for Dangal
Aamir khan – Best Actor (Male)
Best Actor (Female): Alia Bhatt
2. Famous Bharatanatyam dancer Malavika Sarukkai has recently won the title of ‘Natya Kala Acharya’.
She has received this award at the inauguration of the Music Academy’s 11th dance festival.
Deputy Consular General, Consulate General of United States of America in Chennai, Susan Tuller has given this award.
Science & Technology:
1. US based rocket manufacturing company SpaceX successfully launched constellation of 10 satellites into orbit on board of its two stage Falcon 9 Rocket from the Vandenberg Air Force Base, California.
The satellites were deployed into the designated to low-Earth orbit about an hour after launch. Besides, rocket’s first stag also landed upright on a so-called droneship in the Pacific Ocean south of Vandenberg.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images