Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Government of India has organized Indian Panorama Film Festival (Public Screening of films) in Port Blair from 15th -19th February 2017.
About 15 films of different languages and different genre will be screened at two different venues viz. PBMC Auditorium and ITF Ground during the festival.
The Chief Secretary, A&N Administration, Shri Anindo Majumdar inaugurated the Film Festival.
2. Analysis by National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) marked January 2017 as the third warmest January in 137 years of modern record-keeping.
Temperature of January 2017 was 0.20 degrees’ Celsius cooler than the warmest January in 2016.
However, it was 0.92 degrees Celsius warmer than the mean January temperature from 1951-1980.
3. India Vetiver Network (INVN) launched at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.
About 250 delegates are participating in this conference.
Vetiver (Indian grass with fragrant root) has worldwide application to tackle many environmental issues like soil erosion, mitigation of soil and water pollution.
4. Shah Rukh Khan will soon host the Hindi version of popular international show TED Talks.
Star India will air the Indian version – TED Talks India: Nayi Soch.
The show will be a global first Hindi TV talk show created in partnership with TED, the non-profit devoted to ‘ideas worth spreading’.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Surendra Verma, a well-known Hindi scholar and writer, was selected for Vyas Samman 2016.
He was chosen for the prestigious award for his novel Kaatna Shami Ka Vriksha: Padma Pankhuri Ki Dhar Se.
The book, Kaatna Shami Ka Vriksha, was published in 2010.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Axiscades, an aerospace and defence technologies company, and Virtual Reality Media, a Slovakian firm, have signed an industrial cooperation agreement (ICA) at the Aero India 2017.
Both companies will evaluate opportunities for full flight simulator for the aerospace and defence sector.
The partnership will address the requirements for Russian platforms, such as the Dornier 228 aircraft, and other platforms.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Vikas Swarup has been appointed the new High Commissioner to Canada.
He is expected to join his new post in Ottawa by mid-March.
He will replace Vishnu Prakash in Canada.
Gopal Baglay, the present joint secretary in charge of the Pakistan-Afghanistan-Iran desk, will be the next spokesperson.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will reimburse banks the merchant discount rate (MDR) on debit cards used for payment of tax and non-tax dues to the government of India.
The reimbursement will be applicable from 1st January, 2017.
MDR is the commission paid by the merchant to the acquiring bank for every digital transaction allowed by the bank.
2. The Reserve Bank of India doubled the quantum of loan that Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) can give against security of gold/ gold ornaments to ₹2 lakhs with bullet repayment option.
The period of the loan cannot exceed 12 months from the date of sanction.
The interest will be charged on the amount at monthly rests but will become due for payment along with principal only at the end of 12 months from the date of sanction.
RRBs are required to maintain a Loan to Value (LTV) ratio of 75 per cent on the outstanding amount of loan.
3. Citi bank has launched instant chat services for customers logged in to Citibank Online (CBOL) in India.
The real-time chat facility focuses on resolving queries instantly, in a safe environment.
India is the first country in Asia Pacific within the Citi network, which spans 12 countries in the region, to launch the generic chat capabilities.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. Tata Motors has signed Strategic Technological Agreement with Microsoft.
The agreement was signed to collaborate on the technology front for making driving a more personalized experience for the customers.
As per the agreement, Microsoft will make use of its IoT (internet of things), AI (artificial intelligence) and machine learning technologies to develop a highly personalized, smart vehicle for the customers.
Science & Technology:
1. Scientists from the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) created a high-quality graphene, world’s strongest material, using soybean.
Graphene is a carbon material that is one atom thick. The research was published in the journal Nature Communications.
The scientists developed a novel “GraphAir” technology, which does not require a highly-controlled environment.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images