Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated 3rd edition of the (GES-2017) at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
India can be a key partner for emerging services such as facilities management, event and exhibition, urban infrastructure and environmental services.
2. The Government has launched a nationwide programme for capacity building of Elected Women Representatives (EWRs) of Panchayats and a training program for Trainers of women panchayat leaders at Ranchi, Jharkhand.
It was launched at the grassroots level in various fields like engineering finance, social development, education, health, and environment among others.
3. Indian Railways will impart training to over 500 railwaymen on high-speed rail technology in China and Japan, running trains at speed ranging from 160 to 200 kmph in select corridors in the country.
4. The Andhra Pradesh state government has formulated guidelines for a market intervention exercise to help red chilli farmers in the state.
As per the modalities of the scheme, chilli stocks with the farmers would be bought at the price fixed by the government and each farmer will get the additional benefit of Rs 1,500 per quintal, subject to a ceiling of 20 quintals.
5. Vijay Mallya was arrested in London who was accused of defaulting on loans worth crores and is also facing charges of money-laundering.
He will be produced in a metropolitan court as the first step in what could be a long legal battle to prove New Delhi’s case for extradition.
6. Supreme Court has ordered auction of its prime Aamby Valley township near Lonavala in Pune.
The reason is its failing to deposit Rs 5,000 crore of the Rs 14,000-crore due towards refund to investors.
7. The Haryana government has exempted solar equipment and parts used in installation of solar power projects from value added tax (VAT).
Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh have already exempted solar energy devices from VAT.
This exemption will cost the state exchequer about Rs 2.30 crore.
8. The Delhi and Chennai Metro Rail systems have decided to install platform screen doors (PSD) in underground stations, in a bid to prevent suicide attempts.
These doors are synchronized to open along with the train doors, thereby blocking access to the track for commuters.
While in the Delhi Metro with over 150 stations PSDs are being set up only in six major stations for now, all the 19 underground stations of the Chennai Metro Rail will have this facility.
International – Across the Globe:
1. U.S. President Donald Trump is set to sign an executive order that would tighten the process of issuing H-1B visas.
This was a transitional step aimed at achieving a more skills-based and merit-based immigration system.
2. Australia has abolished the 457 Visa Programme used by thousands of temporary foreign workers, a majority of them Indians to address growing unemployment in that country.
Australia wants to adopt ‘Australians first’ approach to skilled migration.
Awards & Recognition:
1. UAE-based billionaire B R Shetty will invest Rs 1,000 crore ($150 million) to produce a two-part film Mahabharat.
The film will be directed by ad filmmaker V A Shrikumar Menon and is scheduled to be released in early 2020.
2. Paduru Gururaja Bhat Award 2017 has been conferred upon Prof. A.V. Narasimha Murthy, Chairman, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (BVB), Mysuru.
Murthy was selected for the award in consideration of his contribution to Indian Archaeology, Ancient History and Numismatics.
3. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has won the Time magazine’s Reader Poll of the 100 most influential people in the world.
He was closely followed by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Pope Francis, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Punjab National Bank (PNB) has launched three new products on the occasion of its 123rd Foundation Day.
These are: automated electronic toll collection to facilitate hassle-free toll payment/collection; credit card mobile app; and a scheme for financing grid connected roof solar power projects.
A mobile app to facilitate PNB staff to do their HR-related operations was also launched.
2. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said that the sub-Committee of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) has decided to set up a Computer Emergency Response Team for the Financial Sector (CERT-Fin).
The sub-committee reviewed the major developments on the global and domestic fronts that impinge on the financial stability of the country.
Science & Technology:
1. The Naval Ship INS Chennai, a P15A Guided Missile Destroyer, was dedicated to Chennai in the presence of the chief minister of Tamil Nadu and the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command.
It is the largest-ever destroyer to be built in India.
2. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to enter into a joint venture with a conglomerate of industries to build launch vehicles.
The first launch of the vehicle is scheduled to take place between 2020 and 2021.
1. Every year on 18 April, International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) celebrates the International Day for Monuments and Sites or World Heritage Day.
The theme for 2017 is Cultural Heritage & Sustainable Tourism.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. A top-ranking leader of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist [CPI-Maoist], Narayan Sanyal has passed away in a south Kolkata hospital.
He was among the last links between the Charu Majumdar-led CPI(ML) – considered the father of leftwing insurgency in India.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images