Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Sushma Swaraj announced the opening of 149 new Post Office Passport Seva Kendras (POPSKs). It will be set up in the second phase.
In the first phase 86 POPSKs were to be set up 52 of which are now functional.
2. The iconic Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai has just got itself trademarked and becomes the first in the country to get such a registration.
The hotel has joined the elite and small club of trademarked properties in the world which includes the Empire State Building in New York, the Eiffel Tower in Paris and Sydney Opera House.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The Third United Nations (UN) International Day of Yoga held in China where thousands of Chinese would participate in scores of events organized across the country.
As per the official report, it was the second biggest yoga day celebration in the world after India.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Pakistan defeated India by 180 runs to win the International Cricket Council (ICC) Champions Trophy 2017 final.
Pakistan won by 180 runs to take their first global 50-over title since 1992.
Fakhar Zaman was declared Man of the Match.
Hassan Ali was declared Man of the Tournament.
2. International Cricket Council has decided not to host the 2018 World T20 Championship due to a cramped schedule and lack of sponsors’ interest.
India will host the next ICC Champions Trophy in 2021.
3. India’s Kidambi Srikanth won the Indonesia Open Super Series badminton title at Jakarta.
He defeated Japan Kazumasa Sakai.
Awards & Recognition:
1. R Madhavan and Ritika Singh’s Irudhi Suttru, the Tamil version of Hindi film Saala Khadoss, has walked away with three honours at 64th Jio Filmfare South Awards. The name of few of the winners are listed below.
Best Film SR Prabhu Joker.
Best Director: Sudha K Prasad for Irudhi Suttru.
Best Supporting Actor (Male): Samuthirakani Visaaranai.
Best Supporting Actor (Female): Sai Dhanshika Kabali.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Reserve Bank of India has initiated “prompt corrective action” (PCA) on state-run lender Bank of Maharashtra in the view of its high non-performing assets (NPAs).
Earlier, the RBI had initiated a PCA on Central Bank of India, IDBI Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, UCO Bank and Dena Bank.
2. The GST Council at its 17th meeting decided to increase the room tariff threshold, above which the luxury rate of 28% will apply, to Rs.Rs.7,500 from the Rs. 5,000 decided earlier.
The Council also decided to defer the dates of filing the detailed return for July and August.
The Council decided that State-run lotteries will fall in the 12% tax bracket, while all others will be taxed at 28%.
3. RBI has directed its lead lender IDBI Bank to initiate insolvency proceedings for the company under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC).
The company is among 12 firms identified by the central bank with a combined debt of over Rs 1,50,000 crore, a quarter of the total NPAs, for proceedings under the newly enacted Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
Science & Technology:
1. NASA’s James Webb space telescope will find signs of life in exoplanets of the TRAPPIST-1 system and on Saturn’s moon Enceladus.
These specific observations are part of a program of Guaranteed Time Observations (GTO), which provides dedicated time to the scientists that helped design and build the telescope’s four instruments.
2. China is planning to send mini-ecosystems comprising of potato seeds and silkworm eggs to the Moon by next year.
The main objective of this mission is to prepare for future moon landings and possible human inhabitants.
3. ISRO working on a new propulsion system known as the Electric Propulsion (EP) system that is set to usher for cost effective satellite launches.
The Electric Propulsion (EP) system converts solar energy into electrical energy which in turn is used to change the velocity of a satellite in space.
1. The International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict is observed on 19th June across the world.
The day is observed in order to raise awareness of the need to put an end to conflict-related sexual violence.
The theme for the year 2017 is Preventing Sexual Violence Crimes through Justice and Deterrence.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images