Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. India’s first e-court (paperless court) was opened at High Court of Judicature at Hyderabad which is the common high court for the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
It was inaugurated by Supreme Court judge Justice Madan B. Lokur who heads the e-Committee of the Supreme Court.
2. Majority of glaciers in India including Gangotri are retreating (melting) at varying rates ranging from 5 to 20 metre per year due to global warming.
It was announced by Minister of State (independent charge) of Environment, Forest and Climate Change in Lok Sabha in a written reply.
3. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has given its approval for construction of a new dry dock within the existing premises of Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL).
International – Across the Globe:
1. Researchers from Laval University based in Quebec City, Canada are going to conduct the world’s first Zika vaccine test on humans.
They are first international researchers team in the world to complete all of the steps in the regulatory process for the test.
The development of the Zika vaccine has been authorized by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Health Canada.
Until now, vaccines have been tested on mice.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Nigerian journalist and presenter Didi Akinyelure has won the second BBC World News Komla Dumor Award.
As part of the award, she will start a three-month placement at the BBC in London in September 2016.
It will provide her opportunity to gain skills and experience by attending a course with BBC Academy.
2. Indian actor, model, television personality Rohit Khandelwal won the prestigious 2016 Mr. World title.
With this he became first Indian and first Asian to win the Mr. World title.
Fernando Alberto Alvarez Soto (Puerto Rico) was named the first runner-up and Aldo Esparza Ramirez (Mexico) was named the second runner-up.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Malcolm Turnbull was sworn as Prime Minister of Australia for second term after a narrow victory in the federal election.
He became the 29th Prime Minister of the country.
He was administered oath to the office by Governor-General Peter Cosgrove, Queen Elizabeth II’s representative in Australia.
2. Senior IAS officer Guruprasad Mohapatra was appointed as Chairman of Airports Authority of India (AAI).
Prior to this appointment he was working as Joint Secretary in Union Ministry of Commerce from the past two years.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The fourth tranche of the Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGB) scheme opened for subscription.
It is government securities denominated in grams of gold that offers an alternative to holding gold in physical form.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Parliament has passed the Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2016.
It was passed to provide statutory status to the existing Regional Centre for Biotechnology in Faridabad, Haryana.
2. The Supreme Court has accepted major recommendations of Lodha Committee on reforms in BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India), the world’s richest cricketing body.
3. The Rajya Sabha unanimously passed Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2012.
4. The Bill seeks to amend the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986 to widen the scope of the law against child labour and stricter punishments for violations.
5. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for introducing amendments to the Benami Transactions (Prohibition) (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Cabinet has approved the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2016.
It will protect transgenders from discrimination.
Through this Bill the Union Government has evolved a holistic mechanism for the social, economic and educational empowerment of marginalized transgenders community.
2. The NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog has signed Statement of Intent (SoI) with tech giant Intel India to set up Atal Tinkering laboratories (ATL) under the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM).
The aim of Atal Tinkering laboratories is to cultivate adaptive learning and innovation skills among young minds in the country.
3. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has signed seven unilateral Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs) with Indian taxpayers to reduce tax litigation.
The Union Cabinet has approved signing of the Air Services Agreement between India and Mozambique.
4. The Union Cabinet has apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Tunisia for strengthening bilateral cooperation in the field of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Digital Economy.
5. The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post-facto approval for a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Switzerland for cooperation in skill development.
6. India and Japan have signed a Social Security Agreement (SSA) and will come into force on 1 October 2016.
The SSA will benefit Indian and Japanese professionals and skilled workers working in each other’s country and will also boost bilateral business linkages.
1. Noted Indian hockey player Mohammed Shahid passed away due to multiple organ failure in Gurugram, Haryana. He was 56.
Mohammed Shahid was a member of the V Baskaran-led Indian team that won a Gold medal at the 1980 Moscow Olympics.
His biggest contribution to the game of Hockey was the ‘half push- half hit’.
It was a stroke he used to hit the ball using the same grip used to dribble the ball.
He also received Arjuna Award (1981) and Padma Shri (1986).
2. Legendary playback singer Mubarak Begum passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra after a prolonged illness. She was 80.
She is known for her singing scores of songs, duets and ghazals for Bollywood, mainly during the 1950s-1970s.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images