Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Union Government and World Bank have signed a US 9.2 million dollar grant agreement for the Efficient and Sustainable City Bus Service Project.
The grant agreement was signed under World Bank-Global Environment Facility (GEF) Programme.
The Efficient and Sustainable City Bus Service Project aims at improving the efficiency and attractiveness of city bus transport and reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in select Indian cities.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released the National Disaster Management Plan (NDMP) to make India disaster resilient and reduce loss of lives.
The first of its kind of national plan is based on the four priority themes of the “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-30”.
The themes are as follows:
Understanding disaster risk
Improving disaster risk governance
Investing in disaster risk reduction (through structural and non-structural measures)
Disaster preparedness, early warning and building back better in the aftermath of a disaster
International – Across the Globe:
1. India and Morocco have launched the India-Morocco Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IMCCI) in Moroccan capital city Rabat.
The IMCCI was jointly launched by visiting Indian Vice President Hamid Ansari and Moroccan Prime Minister Abdelilah Benkirane.
Hamid Ansari’s visit is the first by an Indian Vice President in 50 years to Morrocco.
2. The world’s longest and deepest railway tunnel Gotthard Base Tunnel was inaugurated in Switzerland.
The full service of twin-bore tunnel will begin in December 2016.
The Gotthard Base Tunnel is 57-kilometer long and connects northern and southern Europe and also shortens travel time for many rail routes.
It has overtaken Japan’s Seikan tunnel, which measures 53.9 kilometers, as the longest rail tunnel in the world.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval to the signing of MOU between the Directorate General of Civil Aviation of India (DGCA) and the French Civil Aviation Authority – Direction Generale de l’Aviation Civile (DGAC).
The motive of the MoU is:
Technical Cooperation Programme (TCP) for implementation and promotion of Standards and Recommended Practices of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
The TCP will be beneficial for enhancement of expertise and skills of DGCA’s officers.
Implementation of the cooperation between the two parties for imparting training of technicians, engineers, managers etc.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Union Cabinet has given its approval for setting up the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) as a Public Limited Company under the Department of Posts.
It will have 100% Government of India (GOI) equity and shall be established with total expenditure of 800 Crore rupees.
Now, the IPPB will obtain banking licence from RBI by March 2017 and by September 2017.
IPPB will start operations in March 2017 in about 50 districts and will cover the entire country by the end of FY 2018-19.
Science & Technology:
1. India has joined the Hague Code of Conduct against Ballistic Missile Proliferation (HCoC), a global ballistic missile proliferation regime.
India has joined the Code highlighting its readiness to further strengthen global non-proliferation objectives.
The HCoC is a voluntary, legally non-binding international confidence building and transparency measure that seeks to prevent the proliferation of ballistic missiles that are capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction (WMD).