Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Union minister Narender Singh Tomar launched Swachh Shakti Saptah in Haryana.
This week will culminate on March 8 at Ahmedabad where Prime Minister Modi will be the chief guest.
Three states – Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh and Kerala – have already declared themselves ODF and Tomar hoped by 1st November this year, Haryana would become the fourth state in this list.
2. The price of non-subsidized cooking gas (LPG) was hiked by a steep Rs 86 per cylinder.
Non-subsidized LPG, bought by those who have either given up their subsidies or exhausted the quota of 12 bottles of 14.2-kg in a year at below market price, will now cost Rs 737.50.
3. Indigenously developed Supersonic Prithvi interceptor missile was successfully test-fired from launch complex III of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Abdul Kalam Island in Balasore, Odisha.
The missile is capable of destroying any incoming enemy ballistic missile at low altitude.
4. A government appointed panel has recommended necessary legal and policy framework to protect migrant interests.
It also recommended that migrants should be enabled to avail benefits of Public Distribution System (PDS) in the destination state by providing for inter-State operability of PDS.
5. Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam launched Amma Kalviyagam portal.
The portal will be a hub of learning, interaction, opportunity, and connection.
The “ammakalviyagam.in”, named after late chief minister Jayalalithaa, was launched as part of her 69th birth anniversary celebrations.
6. According to recently published report by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IMAI) and Indian Market Research Bureau (IMRB), internet users in India are expected to be in the range of 450 to 465 million by June 2017.
International – Across the Globe:
1. South Korean and United States held large-scale joint military exercise called Foal Eagle.
The exercise was held to test their defence readiness against the threat from North Korea.
It will continue until the end of April 2017.
2. China has announced that it will cut five lakh jobs from steel, coal and other heavy industries.
This will be done to reduce excess production capacity amid slowdown of its economy which is world’s second largest.
3. The World Bank has offered a $1 billion loan to the Maharashtra government.
The loan was offered to improve rail services in the Mumbai metropolitan region, water conservation, smart cities and for making farming climate resistant in the state.
Sports & Athletics:
1. India will host the World Women’s Youth Boxing Championship in November this year, the first major international event to be held in the country since 2010.
In 2010, India had hosted the Commonwealth Championships followed by the Commonwealth Games.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced the BCCI Awards 2017. Here is the name of some of the winners.
Polly Umrigar award: Virat Kohli.
Dilip Sardesai award (India’s best cricketer in the West Indies series, 2016): R. Ashwin.
Lala Amarnath award (best all-rounder in the Ranji Trophy): Jalaj Saxena (Madhya Pradesh).
Jagmohan Dalmiya award [(best woman cricketer (junior)]: Deepti Sharma (Uttar Pradesh).
Best umpire in domestic cricket: Nitin Menon.
Best performance in BCCI domestic tournaments: Mumbai Cricket Association.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Reliance General Insurance (RGI) has entered into a bancassurance tie-up with Catholic Syrian Bank.
With this tie-up, RGI will offer its general insurance products to Catholic Syrian Bank’s 1.5 million customer base spread across its 430 branches in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Former India wrestler Kripa Shankar Bishnoi has been appointed an international match referee by United World Wrestling (UWW), the sport’s global governing body.
He had trained Bollywood star Aamir Khan and other actors for their roles in the wrestling-based film ‘Dangal’.
2. Telecom Secretary J S Deepak was appointed as India’s next Ambassador to the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
He has been shifted from the Telecom Ministry and has made Officer on Special Duty in the Commerce Department.
3. Senior IAS officer Ajay Tyagi took charge as ninth Chairman of markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
He succeeded U K Sinha, who completed his six-year tenure.
4. Luis Norton de Matos has been appointed as the head coach of the India’s Under-17 team for the FIFA Under-17 World Cup.
The World Cup is scheduled to be held in October 2017 in India.
He replaces Nicolai Adam.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Axis bank, ICICI bank, HDFC bank have begun charging a minimum amount of 150 per transaction for cash deposits and withdrawals beyond four free transactions in a month.
The new charges would apply to savings as well as salary accounts, leading private sector player HDFC Bank said in a circular.
These charges are for cash transactions in the branches, and not through ATMs.
State bank of India will levy a minimum amount of Rs 50 per transaction after three transactions.
2. The government has notified the law that makes holding of more than 10 scrapped notes punishable with a minimum fine of Rs 10,000.
The law also provides a minimum fine of Rs 50,000 for false declaration by persons who were abroad during the demonetisation period (November 9-December 30, 2016) and given time to deposit such scrapped notes with RBI till 31st March 2017.
3. The Union Government has asked all banks to provide mobile banking facility to all customers by 31st March, 2017.
This is part of the government’s efforts to boost the digital payment system.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has signed a technology transfer agreement with Jindal Stainless (Hisar) Ltd. (JSHL).
The agreement was signed for manufacturing high nitrogen steel (HNS).
2. Odisha Government and Invest India signed an agreement to promote start-ups and MSME sector of the state to gain access to best practices of the world.
As per reports, Odisha became the first state to sign MoU with Invest India for working on startups.
3. Gujarat-based Incube Ventures Pvt Ltd, under the banner of Aashray Promotion of Social Enterprises Foundation, announced the signing of an MoU with the Jharkhand government.
The MoU was signed to establish an incubation centre for start-ups in the state.
1. 2nd march is celebrated as Read Cross America day every year.
However, if it falls on a weekend, it is observed in the school systems on the school day closest to March 2nd.
This day is a motivational and awareness day, calling all children and youth in every community across the United States to celebrate reading.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images