Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Department of Telecommunications has launched a web portal called the Tarang Sanchar.
It will allow tracking of radiation emitted from mobile towers within their locality and check for their compliance with the Electromagnetic field (EMF) emission norms defined by the government.
The web portal is aimed at myths and misconceptions about mobile towers and emissions from them.
2. Union Minister Bandaru Dattatreya, launched two schemes – ‘One IP- Two Dispensaries’ and ‘Aadhaar-based Online Claim Submission’ on the occasion of International Labour Day.
Under One IP-Two Dispensaries scheme, ESIC has given an option to an Insured Person (IP) to choose two dispensaries, one for self and another for the family through an employer.
Under Aadhaar based Online Claim Submission scheme all EPF Members who have activated their UAN and seeded their KYC (Aadhaar) with EPFO will be able to apply for PF final settlement, Pension withdrawal benefit and PF part withdrawal from their UAN Interface directly.
3. Defence Minister (Additional Charge) Arun Jaitley handed over a number of devices developed by the DRDO to NSG, Delhi Police and NDRF.
E-Nasika is a device which is capable of rapid detection of chemical agents well below their toxic limits.
OTL-300 is a device can instantly detect partially camouflaged optical elements, such as telescopes, binoculars and night vision devices.
4. The Uttar Pradesh government headed by Yogi Adityanath decided to celebrate UP Diwas on January 24 every year.
It was on January 24 that the erstwhile United Provinces was given a new name as Uttar Pradesh.
5. India’s second tallest flag pole has been Inaugurated in Kolhapur.
The pole which is 303 feet high has been constructed in the Police training academy garden as a part of the Kolhapur beautification project.
The poll is 90 metres tall and 60 meters wide and weighs 24 tonne.
India’s tallest flag pole is at Indo-Pak Attari Border, which is 110 metres high.
6. HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar has launched Students for soldiers- a nationwide Vidya – Veerta Abhiyan.
It was launched to encourage Universities and educational institutions across the country to display portraits of Param Veer Chakra-decorated soldiers.
7. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a commemorative stamp on the 1,000th birth anniversary of Saint Ramanujacharya.
The central message of Saint Ramanujacharya’s life was inclusive of society, religion and philosophy.
8. Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya flagged off an ambulance service Gauvansh Chikitsa Mobile Vans that would cater to need of cows.
Under the service, the ambulance would rescue ill or injured cows and transport them to ‘gaushalas’ or take them for treatment to the veterinary doctor.
A “gau seva toll-free number” was also released so that common people can come to the help of such cows.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Dubai has become the first city in the world to have its own Microsoft-designed font. The font will have typeface both in Latin and Arabic script.
It will be made available in 23 languages namely Afrikaans, Arabic, Basque, Britannic, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Gaelic, German, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Farsi, Portuguese, Sami, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish and Urdu.
The font will be used by UAE’s government bodies and also by 100 million Office 365 users around the world.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Sanjay Pratihar has been selected for the prestigious Indian National Science Academy (INSA) medal for the Young Scientist Award, 2017.
He was awarded for his contribution to multi-metal complexes, theoretical understanding, selective sensing of Hq2+ions and important applications in agriculture.
2. The US-India Business Council (USIBC) has selected Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, Chandrababu Naidu for the Transformative Chief Minister Award.
He will be awarded for his role in advancing the US-India partnership at the state level.
The award will be presented to him at the USIBC West Coast Summit in the Silicon Valley on 8th May.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Anthony Lianzuala was appointed as the Controller General of Accounts (CGA) in New Delhi.
He is the first person from the North-Eastern Region to hold the position.
2. Nepal’s first female Supreme Court chief justice Sushila Karki was suspended after an impeachment motion was filed in parliament.
She was accused of interfering with executive powers and issuing biased decisions.
She was appointed chief justice in April 2016 and was due to retire next month.
Science & Technology:
1. Space X has successfully landed it’s Falcon 9 rocket on solid ground, after launching the vehicle from Cape Canaveral, Florida.
It’s the fourth time Space X has landed one of its rocket on land, and the 11th time the company has successfully recovered a rocket post – launch.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. The world’s oldest person” Saparman Sodimejo passed away in Central Java, Indonesia, at the age of 146 years.
Sodimedjo, also known as Mbah Ghoto (grandpa Ghoto), was born in December 1870, according to his unverified birth certificate and identification papers.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images