Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. India’s only live volcano, Barren Island in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands has started spewing smoke and lava again.
Barren Island volcano erupted in 1991 and has been showing sporadic activity since then.
A team of scientists led by Abhay Mudholkar, from CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (CSIR-NIO) in Goa reported this.
2. AirAsia became the first foreign airline ever to start its operations from Srinagar international airport in Jammu and Kashmir.
Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti waved the flag to clear the landing for the AirAsia flight at Srinagar airport.
To begin with, AirAsia, a Malaysian low-cost airline, will operate one flight daily between Delhi and Srinagar.
3. Febindia Overseas Pvt. Ltd. has started removing Khadi brand name from its products after a legal notice from Khadi & Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
KVIC stated that the use of the word amounted to unfair trade practice.
KVIC asked Fabindia to stop using the word Khadi from all its cotton products and remove display banners from its showrooms.
4. The Khajuraho Dance Festival begins at Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh.
The festival will begin with presentation of Anuj Mishra, Sanchita Bhattacharya and Jayshree Acharya.
Several other cultural activities like art exhibitions and art fair will also be held during the festival.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India has sanctioned a soft loan of 340 million US dollars to Nepal for various infrastructure development programmes.
Indian Ambassador to Nepal Ranjit Rae handed over the approval papers to Transport Minister of Nepal Ramesh Lekhak in the presence of Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu.
Under this programme Mahalaki bridge and 15 roads will be constructed in various parts of Nepal.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Legendary Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi announced his retirement from international cricket.
He had already quit Test and ODI cricket but still skippered the Pakistan Twenty20 team at the 2016 world championships in India.
He played 398 one-day internationals with 8,064 runs, a highest score of 124 while taking 395 wickets with his leg spin.
His Twenty20 international CV saw him play 98 matches with 1,405 runs and a career-leading 97 wickets.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Two Indian films at the world-renowned Berlin Film festival bagged awards – Amit Masurkar’s Newton and Amar Kaushik’s Aaba.
Rajkummar Rao-starrer Newton brought home the CICAE Art Cinema Award in the Forum section of the fest.
Aaba won the Special Prize of Generation KPlus International Jury for Best Short Film.
Books & Authors:
1. Dream Girl Hema Malini’s incredible journey from an actor, a danseuse and filmmaker to a politician is being chronicled in a new book.
The book will hit stores on her 69th birthday this October.
The book named ‘Hema Malini: Beyond the Dream Girl’ is written by author-columnist Ram Kamal Mukherjee.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Nagaland chief minister TR Zeliang announced his resignation from the top post.
The announcement was done against the protest triggered by government decision to reserve 33 per cent seats for women in urban local bodies.
Neiphiu Rio, former Chief Minister and sole MP from the state, appears to be a front-runner for the post.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) has come up with several digital offerings including launch of mobile wallet ‘Oriental Batuaa’.
Besides introducing a new version of mobile banking, OBC has also launched two new cards.
The two MSME schemes that have been launched are ‘Oriental Sanjeevani’ and ‘Oriental Budget Hotels and Restaurants’.
2. Cash withdrawal limit for savings account increases to Rs.5000 per week.
The limits on cash withdrawals from savings bank account will be withdrawn completely from 13th March 2017.
Till now, there is no limit on current account and there is a cap of Rs 50,000 for farmers a week and Rs 2.5 lakh for marriage.
1. The World Day of Social Justice was observed globally on 20th February 2017.
The theme is preventing conflict and sustaining peace through decent work.
The day is observed with an aim to recognize the need to promote efforts to tackle several issues like exclusion, unemployment and poverty.
2. 20th February 2017 is celebrated as the 31st Statehood day of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram.
To mark its 31st statehood day, a four-day-long festival is being held in Arunachal Pradesh, which was earlier a union territory.
Conveying his best wishes to people of Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh, Prime Minister prayed for the state’s progresses immensely in the years to come.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir passes away in Kolkata. He was 68.
He was appointed as a judge in the Calcutta High Court in 1990.
In March 2005, he was appointed as the Chief Justice of the Jharkhand High Court.
Justice Altamas Kabir appointed as the 39th Chief Justice of India on Septemebr 29 in 2012. He held the office till July 18, 2013.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images