Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The government has extended the deadline till 30th April 2017 for those who are yet to pay 25% of their undisclosed income as interest-free deposits under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) scheme.
The scheme was started on 17th December 2016 and closed on 31st March 2017.
It was the second income disclosure scheme announced by the government after the demonetization of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes in November 2016.
2. The Supreme Court (SC) approved the e-auction of Taj Mansingh Hotel in New Delhi.
New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) was allowed by the Supreme Court to e-auction the property.
The auctioning the Taj Mansingh Hotel property was stiffly opposed by Tata group-run Indian Hotels Company Ltd which manages the hotel.
3. Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has suggested an idea of developing the birthplace of Srimanta Sankardev Batadrava as an international tourist spot.
The state government plans to develop the birthplace on the lines of the Golden Temple of Amritsar.
The site is proposed to be developed as an ideal place for religious and cultural tourism.
4. The Supreme Court has set 25% of the net salary of the husband to be paid as alimony to his estranged wife.
The Court has observed that the alimony paid to a woman must be just and proper.
The amount paid must be sufficient enough to ensure that a woman lived with dignity after separating from her husband.
5. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare announced the finalization of India’s comprehensive and multi-sectoral National Action Plan to combat Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).
The announcement was made at the Inter-Ministerial Consultation on AMR containment held at New Delhi.
The plan aims to enhance the awareness, improve rational use of antibiotics and promote research.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The 2017 BRICS Film Festival will be held in Chengdu, southwest China’s Sichuan Province from 23rd – 27th June 2017.
There will be 30 films from BRICS countries screened during the festival.
The first BRICS Film Festival was held in New Delhi, India in 2016.
2. Five prominent Madhesi parties in Nepal have united to form a new united party named the Rastriya Janata Party.
The five parties that have united are Mahantha Thakur‘s Tarai Madhes Loktantrik Party, Rajendra Mahato‘s Sadbhawana Party, Sharat Singh Bhandari‘s Rastriya Madhes Samajbadi Party, Mahendra Yadav‘s Tarai Madhes Sadbhawana Party and Rajkishor Yadav‘s Madhesi Janadhikar Forum- Ganatantrik.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate UN Vesak Day in Colombo, Sri Lanka on 12th May 2017.
Vesak Day, also known as Buddha Poornima, is a traditional holiday commemorated by Sri Lanka’s majority Sinhala Buddhists.
This year’s theme is ‘Buddhist teachings for social justice and sustainable world peace’.
4. U.S. President Donald Trump will order the Treasury to find and reduce tax burdens and review post-financial crisis reforms that banks and insurance companies have said hinder their ability to do business.
5. Iran’s former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been disqualified from running in next month’s presidential election.
The decision was taken by Guardian Council, with vetting candidates for the May 19 election.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Nine-year-old Elinor from the West Midlands have been chosen as mascots for the upcoming IAAF World Championships and World Para Athletics.
Hero the Hedgehog’ and ‘Whizbee the Bee’ were chosen from over 4,000 entries in a competition.
2. Ace shuttler PV Sindhu has been ranked No. 3 in the latest BWF ranking.
Sindhu who was at No.5 climbed up two places on the basis of making the quarter-finals of the recently-concluded Singapore Open Super Series.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma were included in an annual list of 100 most influential people in the world 2017 released by the Time magazine.
The magazine has also included US President Donald Trump, Russian President Vladimir Putin and British Prime Minister Theresa May in the new list of 100 most influential people.
2. Actor Aamir Khan and cricket icon Kapil Dev will receive the 75th Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Awards.
Amir Khan will be honoured with the Vishesh Puraskar for Best Film “Dangal”, while Dev for his outstanding contribution to Indian Cricket.
3. Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers & Chemicals Ltd (GNFC) won the prestigious Golden Peacock Award.
The award recognizes the company’s contribution to innovative frameworks that will be the key for business success in the new millennium.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Victoria Beckham was appointed the Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to the fashion industry.
Prince William presented the honour to the pop singer turned fashion designer at the Buckingham Palace in London.
Victoria Caroline Beckham is an English businesswoman, fashion designer, model, and singer.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Master card unveiled a payment card in South Africa featuring a biometric fingerprint scanner.
Instead of a card user enters a PIN number, the payment card features a small biometric area designed to verify the user’s fingerprint.
2. The Central Government has raised Rs. 1,200 crore by divesting 9.2% of paid-up capital in National Aluminum Company Ltd. (NALCO).
With this disinvestment, Government’s shareholding in NALCO has become 65.37%.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Law Commission has recommended action against striking lawyers and allowing entry of foreign lawyers and law firms, among other changes, in the proposed Advocates (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
Bar Council of India has planned to submit a memorandum to the Union Law Minister to reject the Law Commissions suggestions to amend the Act.
2. The Union Cabinet has approved to introduce the Constitution 123rd Amendment Bill 2017 in the parliament.
The Bill provides for the appropriation of the sanctioned 52 posts of the existing National Commission for Backward Classes in the proposed National Commission for Backward Classes to be constituted under Article 338B.
1. Government of India has taken a decision to observe the 21st of April every year as Civil Services Day.
The purpose for this day is to rededicate and recommit civil servants to the cause of the people.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Britain’s Olympic high jump silver medallist Germaine Mason died after a motorcyle crash in Jamaica.
Mason was born in Jamaica but represented Britain in the 2008 summer Olympics in Beijing.
He won a silver medal in the high jump, with a personal best of 2.34 meters.
2. Senior journalist and columnist, Nora Chopra passed away following a period of illness.
She was actively engaged in her work till her premature demise.
Chopra was widely respected for being a passionate, spirited and combative journalist.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images