Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Union Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu has announced a new batch of 30 smart cities under Smart City Mission, which was launched on 25th June 2015.
Out of the 30 cities, 26 had proposed affordable housing projects, 26 had proposed new schools and hospitals and 29 had proposed redesign and development of roads.
2.The Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin (SBM-G), rural Uttarakhand and rural Haryana declared as the 4th and 5th Open Defecation Free (ODF) the States of India.
Already, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, and Kerala declared as ODF.
3. Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu has launched India’s largest municipal bond programme.
The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) became the first municipal corporation in the country to tap money through municipal bonds in 14 years.
4. The State Government of Odisha approved 53 urban projects with a total investment of Rs 538 crore under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT).
The main objective is to provide basic services is water supply, sewerage, urban transport to households and build amenities in cities which will improve the quality of life.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Ireland and Afghanistan have been granted Test status by the International Cricket Council.
It increases the number of countries competing at the top level of international cricket to 12.
They are the first admissions since Bangladesh gained Test status in 2000.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Two Konkani literary personalities – Vincy Quadros and Amey Naik from Goa have been chosen for awards by the country’s highest literary body – the Sahitya Akademi.
Vincy Quadros is awarded Sahitya Akademi’s Bal Sahitya Puraskar for his book ‘Jaduche Petul’ for children in Konkani.
Amey Naik has been selected for Yuva Puraskar 2017 for his Konkani poetry collection ‘Mog Dot Com’.
2. Radio Mirchi bagged a Gold Radio Award at the New York Festivals International Radio Program Awards
Radio Mirchi bagged the award for ‘Five years of Nirbhaya,’under the Public Service Announcement Promotion category.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Kenneth I Juster is set to become America’s new Ambassador to India.
He is the Deputy Assistant to the United States President for International Economic Affairs and Deputy Director of his National Economic Council.
He is awarded Order of the British Empire (OBE).
2. Russian diplomat Vladimir Voronkov was appointed as United Nations first counter-terrorism chief.
Voronkov will hold the title of under-secretary-general.
3. Subhash C Garg has been appointed as Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Finance Ministry.
He will take over from Rajiv Maharishi on 30th August. Until then Rajiv Gauba will serve as Officer on Special Duty in the Home Ministry.
Ajay Prakash Sawhney, an Andhra Pradesh cadre IAS officer, will be the new Electronics & IT Secretary.
4. Travis Kalanick, the Chief Executive Officer of Uber announced his resignation from the post.
Kalanick reportedly took the hard decision after a group of major Uber investors demanded his immediate resignation.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. State Bank of India has been authorized to refer Essar Steel Bhushan Steel and Electrosteel to the bankruptcy court raising the possibility that some of these companies could be merged in an effort to return them to health.
The three companies between them owe banks nearly Rs 1 lakh crore.
2. The Reserve Bank of India announced the names of five members of the Overseeing Committee (OC) which looks into the resolution of stressed accounts where a company’s exposure exceeds Rs 500 crore.
The five members include existing members former Chief Vigilance Commissioner Pradeep Kumar who will be the Chairman and former State Bank of India Chairman Janki Ballabh.
The committee will comprise three other members – former chairman of Canara Bank MBN Rao, non-executive chairman of L&T Finance Holdings YM Deosthalee and former SEBI whole-time member S Raman.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) will sign a pact with the Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO).
MoU will be signed in the presence of Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya and Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation Minister M Venkaiah Naidu.
Science & Technology:
1. ISRO’s PSLV-38 blasted off from the spaceport carrying the Cartosat-2 series satellite a dedicated satellite for the defense forces along with 30 co-passenger satellites.
The 30 satellites will together weigh 243 kg and the total weight of all the 31 satellites, including Cartosat, is about 955 kilograms.
2. The United States has cleared the sale of the state-of-the-art Guardian 22 unmanned Guardian drones to India.
The deal to sell UAV drones to India is estimated to be worth $2 to $3 billion.
3. NASA has launched world’s lightest satellite KalamSat weighing only 64 grams designed by 18-year-old boy Rifath Sharook from Tamil Nadu.
The tiny satellite has been named as KalamSat after the former President APJ Abdul Kalam.
1. The United Nations Public Service Day is celebrated on 23rd June of every year.
The prestigious UN Public Service Awards are given away on this day.
The UN Public Service Day was designated by the United Nations General Assembly’s resolution to celebrate the value and virtue of public service to the community.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images