Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. PM Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for half a dozen projects worth Rs 993 crore related to the development of Kandla port.
The projects for which foundation was laid include a convention centre named after Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar.
Other projects include two cargo berths, a road over bridge, deployment of two mobile harbour cranes and mechanization of fertilizer handling facility at the port.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India has become the second largest stainless steel producer in the world after China.
The analysis is based on the data released by the International Stainless Steel Forum (ISSF).
India overtook Japan which was the second largest producer last year.
2. According to the reports released by the United Nations Monitoring centre, India ranks third highest globally in Internal Displacement Numbers.
It said that conflict, violence and disasters caused 31.1 million new internal displacements in 2016.
The highest displacements were recorded in China with 7.4 million people getting impacted, followed by the Philippines (5.9 million), India (2.4 million) and Indonesia (1.2 million).
3. The United Nations released a first draft nuclear ban treaty banning the possession and use of nuclear weapons, the draft being released in Geneva.
This treaty can get opposition from the countries the US, UK, Russia, China, France, India, Pakistan, North Korea and Israel.
The treaty confirms that use of nuclear weapons is a violation of the International Humanitarian Law.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Sweden won the Ice Hockey World Championships with a 2-1 victory over 2016 champions Canada in a dramatic penalty shootout.
It was Sweden’s 10th World title.
2. Indian-origin wrestler Jinder Mahal clinched the WWE Championship after beating Randy Orton at pay-per-view event Backlash.
He has become the second wrestler of Indian descent to win a world heavyweight championship in the promotion.
The Great Khali had won the now-defunct World Heavyweight Championship in 2007.
3. A 7-member High-Level Committee on Scouts and Guides has submitted its Final Report to Union Minister of Sports with various recommendations. These recommendations are mentioned below.
The constitution of an Enquiry Committee to take stock of complaints and grievances and submit its report.
Completely revamping of the Bharat Scout & Guides and Hindustan Scouts and Guides.
The need for streamlining the organizational set up of Bharat Scouts and Guides and Hindustan Scouts and Guides.
The nomination of government nominees on the Boards of both the organizations.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Drake becomes the biggest winner at the 2017 Billboard Music Award with a win of total 13 awards in a year breaking past record of Adele of 12 awards. Here is the list of some winners.
|Top New Artist||Twenty One Pilots|
|Billboard Chart Achievement Award presented by Xfinity||Drake|
|Top Male Artist||Drake|
|Top Female Artist||Beyonce|
|Top Duo/ Group||Twenty One Pilots|
|Top Billboard 200 Artist||Drake|
|Top Hot 100 Artist||Drake|
|Top Song Sales Artist||Drake|
2. Rohan Chakravarty an Indian Wildlife and environment cartoonist won World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) International President’s Award.
The award ceremony was held recently in Manado, Indonesia.
Chakravarty cartoons under the banner of Green Humour mainly emphasis on environmental issues honored with the award.
Books & Authors:
1. The Union Home Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh has released the book ‘India 2017 Yearbook’ authored by the Union Home Secretary, Shri Rajiv Mehrishi.
The book was published by the Mc Graw Hill Education India.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Saurabh Agrawal was appointed as the Group Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Tata Sons.
He is currently the head of the strategy with the Aditya Birla Group.
As group CFO at Tata Sons, he will have to focus on bringing back some of the loss-making businesses on track.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. HDFC Life announced the launch of India’s first life insurance email bot named SPOK.
It can automatically read, understand, categorize, prioritize and respond to customer emails that are sent to HDFC Life, within milliseconds.
This automation initiative will enable HDFC Life to respond to user queries faster and more efficiently and consistently.
2. Federal Bank, in association with Geojit, has launched a new trading platform called “Selfie” for customers.
The trading platform will give its users absolute control over their investments with timely research inputs to make sound investment decisions.
3. Paytm has rolled out its Payments Bank operations by launching its first physical branch in Noida.
With this launch, there are three payments bank operational in the country, the other two being Airtel Payments Bank Ltd and India Post Payments Bank Ltd.
As a Payments Bank, Paytm will be able to accept deposits upto Rs 1 lakh per customer in wallet and savings/current accounts.
4. The Reserve Bank of India is set to reconstitute Oversight Committee to operationalize the banking ordinance.
The existing Oversight Committee was constituted by the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
The move is aimed at containing the bad loans which have reached to over Rs 8 lakh crore.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. Karnataka Bank Ltd has signed a MoU with Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India for selling life insurance products of LIC.
The bank signed the corporate agency agreement with LIC in Mangaluru.
With this MoU, the bank will be able to provide the vast choice of life insurance products to its customers across all its 769 branches.
2. 6 Members of Gulf Cooperation Council and the USA have signed a MoU in Riyadh to curb financing of terror organizations like Lashkar-e-Taiba, the Haqqani network, the Taliban.
The MoU was signed between US and Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
According to the MoU, the signatory countries intend to identify, track and share information regarding terrorist financial.
Science & Technology:
1. Astronomers using the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) have created the first map of the large-scale structure of the universe based entirely on the positions of quasars.
Quasars are incredibly bright and distant points of light powered by super-massive black holes.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images