Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. With an aim to promote Manipur as a potential tourist destination, the annual Manipur Sangai Festival this year will be themed ‘Destination Manipur’.
The 10-day-festival seeks to showcase the best of what the state has to offer in terms of art, culture, handloom, handicrafts as well as fine arts.
2. The 13th World Robot Olympiad will be held in India for the first time, with over 2,000 students from 54 countries participating.
This year’s theme is ‘Rap the Scrap’ is in line with ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ of the government.
3. António Costa, the Indian-origin Prime Minister of Portugal will be the chief guest at the 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention.
The PBD Convention is scheduled to be held from January 7 to 9, 2017 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
International – Across the Globe:
1. China has agreed to import rice, non-basmati and basmati varieties from 17 registered mills in India.
These mills are in Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
It is considered as a major breakthrough in India’s efforts to ensure market access for Indian products (especially rice) in China as it is the world’s largest rice importer.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize 2016 has been awarded to senior journalist at the Times of India, Akshaya Mukul for his book ‘Gita Press and the Making of Hindu India’.
Mukul also won the best non-fiction book prize for Gita Press and the Making of Hindu India at the Ramnath Goenka awards.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Chinese technology company Lenovo has partnered with Paytm to ensure hassle-free cashless transactions that will benefit laptop buyers who are facing cash crunch after demonetization.
Lenovo has also collaborated with Pine Labs to allow smooth conversion of transactions into EMI.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Dr. Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu of Nigeria was re-elected by acclamation today for a second three-year term as President of the Council of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
2. Pankaj Patel was elected as the President of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) for the year 2017.
He will take over after incumbent Ambuja Neotia Group Chairman Harshavardhan Neotia completes his term in December 2016.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. As per a report on global wealth published by Credit Suisse, the total quantum of wealth in India is rising but disparity between rich and poor is also rising.
The report says that the uneven growth has left 96% of the adult population in India at the base of the wealth pyramid with wealth below $10,000.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Switzerland have signed a Joint Declaration for implementation of Automatic Exchange of Information (AEOI) in respect of accounts of Indians held abroad.
Under the pact, both countries will start collecting data in accordance with the global standards in 2018 and exchange it from 2019 onwards.
Science & Technology:
1. The indigenously built nuclear capable Agni-I ballistic missile was successfully test-fired from a test range off Odisha coast, as part of a user trial by India Army.
It was test-fired from a mobile launcher from the launch pad-4 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Abdul Kalam Island (Wheeler Island).
1. Veteran Congress leader and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Ram Naresh Yadav passed away at SGPGI Lucknow after a prolonged illness.
2. Renowned Hindi and Bhojpuri litterateur Dr. Viveki Rai passed away in a Varanasi hospital after illness.
3. Legendary vocalist, playback singer, and composer Mangalampalli Balamuralikrishna passed away due to age-related geriatric problems in Chennai. He was 86.
He was considered as doyen of classical music.
During his long musical career he had excelled as a prominent Carnatic vocalist, multi-instrumentalist, playback singer, composer and actor.
He received awards like Padma Vibhusan (1991), Mahatma Gandhi Silver Medal from UNESCO (1995), France’s Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres.
4. Renowned scientist Mambillikalathil Govind Kumar Menon, who spearheaded many scientific and development missions passed away. He was 88.
Menon became the director of Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai in 1966 at the age of 38.
He also headed the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for nine months in 1972.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images