Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Northeast’s sixth and largest hub for information technology has been inaugurated in Agartala.
The hub has been set up at a cost of Rs 50 crore to boost employment and e-governance besides export of software technology.
2. The Indian Railways is going to set up a solar power plant in Bhilai (Chhattisgarh), through Railway Energy Management Company Limited (REMCL).
The project cost of the 50 MW plant is estimated at Rs 200 crore.
Of the total cost, 20 percent will be borne by the Railways, while the remaining 80 percent will be raised through debt.
3. The Indian Railways will be launching a special rail service, Utkrisht Double-Decker AC Yatri (Uday) Express in July 2017.
The over-night train would ply only on high-demand routes like Delhi- Lucknow and its fare would be lower than that of the 3AC class in regular express trains.
The aim of the double-decker service is to provide better amenities to passengers in a lesser fare.
4. The Uttarakhand Forest Department has deployed three drones for real-time monitoring of the forest fires.
This is the first time that drones are used to monitor forest fires in India.
Besides monitoring of forest fire, drones are already in use for wildlife conservation for nest status, aviation ethology, crocodile and water birds counting and monitoring.
5. India’s first and longest ropeway to connect Mumbai with the famous Elephanta Island in the Arabian Sea is planned to be constructed by the Mumbai Port Trust.
The 8-km ropeway will begin from Sewri in Mumbai’s east coast and end at Raigad district’s Elephanta Island, globally renowned for Elephanta Caves, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The approximately 40-minute ride by a 20-seater cable car, with a transit station midway will prove to be a major boost to tourism.
6. Bihar Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council unanimously adopted the Bihar Goods and Service Tax (GST) Bill, 2017 along with Bihar Taxation (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
With the passage of the bills, Bihar has become the second state, after Telangana, to ratify the legal framework for the rollout of the GST in the state.
7. The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) is India’s First public hospital to start plaque brachytherapy facility for the treatment of eye tumours.
The facility is a form of local radiation delivered to the eye through a radioactive device which is attached to the eye for a temporary period of time.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The Indian Navy has begun a joint maritime exercise Varuna with the French Navy at the Mediterranean Sea to further deepen combat coordination between the two navies.
Guided missile destroyer INS Mumbai, stealth frigate INS Trishul and fleet tanker INS Aditya are taking part in the exercise which will continue till 30th April 2017.
2. According to Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (Sipri), India has become world’s fifth-largest military spender spending at $55.9 billion in 2016.
The US remains the world’s largest military followed by China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia.
The other prominent spenders in the top 15 include Japan, South Korea, and Australia.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Indian sprinter Man Kaur clinched gold medal in the 100 metres sprint at the World Masters Games held in Auckland, New Zealand.
Kaur was the lone contender in the 100-years-and-over event, which she completed in a minute and 14 seconds.
The 101-year old contestant was almost 1min 4sec short of the women’s world record for the distance.
2. Sandhya Agarwal, Former captain of the Indian Women’s Test team was honoured life membership by Marylebone Cricket Club.
She has played 13 Tests and 21 ODIs from the year 1984 to 1995.
Presently, she is the chairperson of girl’s U – 19 and senior women’s team of MPCA.
3. Indian shot putter Manpreet Kaur has clinched a gold in the first leg of the Asian Grand Prix Athletics Meet in Jinhua, China.
Manpreet came up with the best throw of 18.86 meter and broke her earlier record of 17.96 metres.
With the performance, Manpreet also qualified for the IAAF World Championships to be held in August 2017 in London.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Renowned Director and actor Kasinathuni Viswanath has won the Dadasaheb Phalke award 2016 for his outstanding contribution to the film industry.
He will be the 48th recipient of the award, which consists of a golden lotus, a cash prize of Rs10 lakh and a shawl.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Maharashtra government recently signed a MoU with the Indian Railways, under which trees will be planted on the land adjacent to the railway tracks in the state.
The government is committed to plant 4 crore trees on 1st July 2017.
The state Forest department had planted 2 crore 83 lakh trees across the state on 1st July 2016, a feat recognized by the Limca Book of world records.
2. China and Iran have signed the first agreement on the reconfiguration of Iran’s Arak reactor.
The deal was concluded between the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) and a Chinese company at the official ceremony in the Austrian capital Vienna.
3. State Bank of India (SBI) and CREDAI have signed MoU to provide loans at a concessional rate to builders as well as customers for affordable housing projects.
The MoU was signed to collaborate and work towards the development of the real estate sector, specifically through the affordable housing and green housing projects.
The duration of the agreement is for a period of three years.
1. World Malaria Day is observed globally on 25th April every year.
The global theme for World Malaria Day 2017 is End Malaria for Good.
World Malaria Day is an occasion to highlight the need for continued investment and sustained political commitment for malaria prevention and control.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images