Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated India’s longest river bridge – the Dhola-Sadia Bridge in Assam.
He has also renamed the bridge as Bhupen Hazarika Bridge.
The cost of the project is about Rs 2056 crores.
2. UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched a campaign to eradicate the deadly Japanese Encephalitis (JE) disease that claims the lives of hundreds of children every year in the state.
He launched a toll-free number 18001805544 to get or provide any information about encephalitis.
The government has fixed the target of immunization of above 88 lakh 55 thousand children in the age group of 1 to 15 during the drive in the 38 targeted districts.
3. The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has amended the definition of a start-up.
As per the new definition, an entity will be considered as a Start-Up if its turnover is less than Rs 25 crore and has not completed seven years from the date of its incorporation/registration.
The process of recognition of an entity as a start-up will be through an online application made over the mobile app/portal set up by the DIPP.
4. The Union Cabinet Chaired by Prime Minister has given its approval for a National Procurement Policy that gives preference to Make In India in government procurements.
The policy aims to maintain the balance between promoting ‘Make in India’ and ensuring timely, quality and value-for-money products for the procuring government entities.
5. The Ministry of Environment and Forests have come up with new regulations that bans the sale of cattle for slaughter.
The rules have been notified under Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act of 1960.
As per the new regulations, cattle bought cannot be resold within six months.
Young and unfit animals cannot be traded. Animal markets cannot be set up within 50 km of an international border and 25 km from a state border.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Taj Mahal has made it to the top 10 landmarks in the world by securing fifth position in the list.
It is the only Indian monument to figure in the world’s top 10 Travellers’ Choice awards for Landmarks.
Angkor Wat in Siem Reap (Cambodia) topped the list followed by Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center in Abu Dhabi (UAE), Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba in Cordoba (Spain) and St Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City (Italy).
2. According to statistics released, Indian nationals were issued the maximum number of skilled work visas to live and work in the UK in 2016.
Indians accounted for 58 per cent of the total skilled work visas granted last year- 53,863 of a total of 93,566.
Americans were the second largest community with 9,255 visas.
3. Egypt has blocked 21 media websites including the main website of Qatar-based Al-Jazeera news channel.
The 21 websites have been blocked inside Egypt for having content that supports terrorism and extremism.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Hindustan Computers Limited will host the HCL Asian Junior Tennis Championship 2017 from 29 May 2017.
Different players from 11 countries – Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Philippines, Hong-Kong, Malaysia, China, Sri Lanka, Iran, and India are participating in the Championship.
Books & Authors:
1. A new book “Winning like Virat: Think & Succeed like Kohli” unravels the secrets of the Virat Kohli’s consistent form, while attempting to decode his philosophy towards life.
The Book was written by Abhirup Bhattacharya.
2. Pranab Mukherjee will receive the first copy of book ‘Marching with a Billion- Analysing Narendra Modi’s Government at Midterm’ from Smt. Sumitra Mahajan, Speaker Lok Sabha.
The book was written by journalist Shri Uday Mahurkar analyses the monumental changes that Shri Narendra Modi has brought on multiple fronts.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Google’s vice-president for South East Asia and India, Rajan Anandan appointed as new chairman of Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
He replaces Kunal Shah FreeCharge’s co-founder and chief executive officer.
MakeMyTrip Chairman & Group CEO Deep Kalra will be the vice-chairman.
Facebook’s managing director for India & South Asia, Umang Bedi will be the new treasurer.
Subho Ray will continue to be the president of IAMAI.
2. The Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) has appointed Anurag Tripathy, as new Secretary of Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
He will hold the post for a period of five years.
3. United States Senate has confirmed Amul Thapar as a judge to the Cincinnati-based Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
With this appointment, he has become only the second Indian-American judge of an appeals court.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. HDFC Ltd is the only Indian company to be named among the top 10 consumer financial services companies in the world.
American Express topped the list, followed by Capital One Financial and Visa in the second and third place, respectively.
2. India retained its top rank of being the world’s premier greenfield FDI investment destination for the second consecutive year, attracting $62.3 billion in 2016, says a report.
India has remained ahead of China and the US as far as FDI inflows were concerned in the last year.
3. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) commissioned a 270-megawatt (MW) thermal unit in Maharashtra.
The unit commissioned at Parli Thermal Power Station (TPS), located in Beed district in the Marathwada region of Maharashtra.
It has commissioned 16,000 MW of power generation capacity in Maharashtra.
4. Reserve Bank of India decided to permit all licensed cooperative banks having their own ATM network to issue semi-closed prepaid payment instruments (PPI)s like mobile wallets.
The notification enlists strict norms and conditions to be followed by cooperative banks before permitting them to issue wallets for utility bill payments and other activities up to a limit of Rs 10,000.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Union Cabinet approved the signing of a MoU between India and Spain on cooperation in the field of Organ Transplant Services.
The agreement would enhance bilateral cooperation between two nations in the field of organ and tissue procurement and transplantation.
2. The Rajasthan government signed MoUs worth over Rs 955 crore at the Global Rajasthan Agritech Meet (GRAM).
The 21 MoUs signed, are expected to provide direct employment to 9,488 people and indirect employment to 17,850 people, according to the state government.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images