Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The trial run of the first electric taxi in the country will start from 24th May in Nagpur as a part of government’s plan to reduce pollution.
The Minister said the Nagpur Municipal Corporation will undertake the project.
Mahindra and Mahindra is set to provide 200 taxis for the initiative.
2. Union Health Minister JP Nadda has launched the Test and Treat policy for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
As per this new policy, anyone who is tested and found positive will get the necessary treatment free of cost.
Anyone found positive will be provided with ART (Anti- Retroviral Therapy) irrespective of his CD count.
3. India’s first smart and green Highway, Eastern Peripheral Expressway will be ready by August this year.
It has been built at a cost of Rs.11000 crore.
At least 2.5 lakh trees will be on the both sides of the roads with solar panels.
4. Bhilar, a tiny hamlet in Satara district of Maharashtra is all set to become India’s first ‘book village’ from 4th May.
The concept of book village is inspired by Britain’s Hay-on-Wye, which is a Welsh town located in the United Kingdom, famous for its bookstores and literature festivals.
Under this initiative, tourists and locals can come and read books, magazines, newspapers stacked at 25 artistically decorated locations around the village.
International – Across the Globe:
1. The US Trade Representative’s (USTR) office has once again placed India on the ‘priority watch’ list in this year’s Special 301 report.
India has been placed in ‘priority watch’ list owing to USTR’s view that India has not made adequate changes in its intellectual property (IP) laws and regulations.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Kerala has conducted the country’s first-ever transgender one-day athletic meet in Thiruvananthapuram.
The event saw the participation of 132 participants belonging to 12 districts of the state.
The event was jointly organized by Kerala sports council and Sexual Gender Minority Federation of Kerala.
2. The Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) will conduct Oorja’ – CAPFs Under-19 Football Talent Hunt Tournament – 2017 throughout the country from 1st-15th May 2017.
The tournament will be conducted in Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Goa and the Union Territories of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu.
Bruno Coutinho has been made as the brand ambassador for Oorja -2017 in Goa.
3. 101-year-old athlete Mann Kaur has become the oldest person to skywalk around Auckland’s famous landmark Sky Tower.
She stepped out 192 metres above Auckland city to achieve the feat.
4. Internationally renowned sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik from Odisha won the jury prize gold medal at the 10th Moscow Sand art Championship.
The competition was held between 22nd and 28th April at Kolomenskoye, Moscow in Russia.
The theme for the competition was The world around us.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The Hero MotoCorp has been conferred with the Indian MNC of the year award by All India Management Association for the rapid global enlargement of the brand “Hero”.
The company was awarded for the rapid global enlargement of the brand “Hero”.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. T krishnakumar, currently CEO of Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages, becomes Coca-Cola India’s new chief.
He will replace Venkatesh Kini.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. According to International Monetary Fund analysis, India will surpass Germany as the world’s fourth-largest economy by 2022 and push UK out of the top five in 2017.
India has to address a lot of issues in order to make the climb like implementing the Goods and Services Tax (GST), increasing productivity and employment opportunities etc.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. A tripartite MoU has been signed between BBNL, Department of Posts and BSNL to provide broadband connectivity of BharatNet to Post Offices in rural areas.
BSNL would provide broadband services.
The infrastructure expenses and the operational expenses would be paid by the Department of Posts.
BBNL would facilitate and coordinate the entire project.
2. India and Cyprus have signed four agreements following delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades in New Delhi. Both the countries signed:
An executive programme on culture, education and scientific cooperation for the years 2017 to 2020.
A work plan under a programme of cooperation in agriculture for the period 2017-2018.
Agreement on cooperation in the area of merchant shipping.
Agreement to boost air services between the two countries.
Science & Technology:
1. North Korea has test-fired a ballistic missile KN-17 defying global pressure and warnings from the United States and its mainly, China.
The test was conducted from the Pukchang region present in the north of the North Korean capital, Pyongyang.
2. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch five communication satellites by the year-end.
The satellites launched by the ISRO and their purposes in the areas of weather forecasting, disaster management, space exploration, geo-spatial applications, education and agriculture.
1. International Dance Day is celebrated every year on 29th April to create awareness of dance as an art form across the world.
The day was introduced in 1982 by the International Dance Council (CID, Conseil International de la Danse), a UNESCO partner NGO.
2. The Day of remembrance of all victims of chemical Warfare was observed on 29th April by the United Nations (UN).
This commemoration will provide an opportunity to pay tribute to the victims of chemical warfare.
It also promotes the goals of peace, security, and multilateralism.
3. World Immunization Week 2017 is being observed across the globe between 24 April and 30 April 2017.
The theme for the 2017 World Immunization Week is VaccinesWork.
The theme aims to raise awareness about the critical importance of full immunization throughout life, and its role in achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Tamil actor and writer Vinu Chakravarthy, who had starred in over 1,000 films, breathed his last on 27 April 2017.
Vinu Chakravarthy has acted in more than 1000 movies in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam languages.
He is known for his comedian, supporting and villainous roles.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images