Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Union Government launched Swachh Swasth Sarvatra initiative to strengthen health centres in open defecation-free (ODF) blocks.
The objective of this initiative is to strengthen community health centres in 708 ODF blocks across the country to enable them to achieve higher levels of cleanliness and hygiene.
2. The Union Cabinet gave its approval to the proposal of Union Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) for ratification of International Solar Alliance (ISA) Framework Agreement by India.
The Agreement was opened for signature on the sidelines of 22nd Conference of Parties (CoP) meeting United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) at Marrakesh, Morocco.
3. For the first time in the country, Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) launched 25 buses that run 100 per cent on bio-diesel.
KSRTC is expected to save 86.68 lakh per annum by using bio-diesel for 25 buses.
The vehicles are retrofitted with Bio-Diesel Kit with which they can run on 100 percent Bio-Diesel for effective control over pollution.
4. The Nedumkayam tribal colony in Malappuram district of Kerala has become the first fully-digital tribal colony in the country.
5. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has launched an initiative ‘Transform Maharashtra’ at IIT Bombay’s ‘Mood Indigo’ festival.
The initiative will seek participation from over two lakh students from across 500 colleges.
1. Meghalaya will host the 2022 National Games, which will coincide with the state’s 50 years of statehood.
The state had pledged 5 crore rupees as the bid amount for the game.
The upcoming National Games will be hosted by Goa in November 2017.
2. Former world number one and 2008 French Open champion Ana Ivanovic has retired from tennis at the age of 29.
The Serb has been out with injury since August and dropped to 63 in the world rankings, having won just 15 matches in 2016.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Twitter and ICICI Bank announced a partnership that integrates a slew of digital customer care support features for the bank, benefiting millions of its customers with direct online response to their queries and feedback in real-time.
ICICI Bank is the first bank in India to implement the new features to its Twitter account for customer care.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Viral Acharya, a professor at the Stern Business School of New York University, was named deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
Acharya is a graduate from the Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay and has a Ph.D from Stern School of Business, New York University, will oversee the important monetary policy department and research.
2. Anil Baijal, a former bureaucrat has been appointed as the 21st Lieutenant Governor of Delhi.
He will succeed Najeeb Jung who had resigned before completion of his term and is returning to teaching profession.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. The Union Cabinet approved promulgation of Specified Bank Notes Cessation of Liabilities Ordinance to penalize persons holding banned 500 and 1,000 rupee notes.
It will come into force once it gets Presidential assent as per Article 123 of the Constitution.
It will make possession of a large number of demonetised 1,000 and 500 rupee notes beyond threshold amount a penal offence.
2. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved Road Connectivity Project for Left Wing Extremism (LWE) Affected Areas to improve rural road connectivity in worst LWE affected districts critical from security and communication point of view.
3. Non-banking finance company Au Financiers (India) has received final approval of the Reserve Bank to start operations as small finance bank.
The company has operations in 10 states with 300 branches.
4. Mobile wallet firm Mobikwik has received an in-principle approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up a Bharat Bill Payments Operating Unit (BBPOU).
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The Indian Army has entered an agreement with the IIT-Gandhinagar (IITGN) to set up a research and development (R&D) cell on the campus.
Staffed by the faculty and research students, the R&D cell will attempt to solve the technical challenges faced by the army.
The agreement will also enable IITGN and Indian Army to collaborate in various other areas i.e. critical technology requirements of the army, sharing of professional and technical knowledge, and other activities of mutual interest.
Science & Technology:
1. The Union Government has launched Integrated Voice Response System (IVRS) system in a bid to tackle the call drop menace.
The system was launched at multiple locations including Delhi and Mumbai to obtain direct feedback from subscribers on call quality on the issue of frequent call drops.
2. China has successfully launched two high-resolution remote sensing satellites SuperView-1 01 and 02 to get commercial images.
These satellites were launched on-board of Long March 2D rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in Shanxi Province.
They will provide commercial images at 0.5-meter resolution.
1. Veteran Sri Lankan politician Ratnasiri Wickremanayake, who served twice as Prime Minister, passed away after a brief illness.
Wickremanayake served twice as the Island nation’s Premier, first from 2000 to 2001 and then from 2005 to 2010.
2. Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister and seasoned BJP leader Sunderlal Patwa died in Bhopal after suffering a heart attack. He was 92.
Sunderlal Patwa was a two-time Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images