Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. National Tribal and North East Conclave-2017 was organized by Lalit Kala Akademi under Ministry of Culture in New Delhi.
The conclave platform features more than a dozen forms of tribal art.
2. India and Bavaria will set up a joint group to identify areas for cooperation in the water sector.
Bavaria has a rich experience of successfully cleaning the river Danube in Germany and India may benefit from their experience.
3. The government will launch Aadhaar Pay, a digital payment platform for merchants on 14th April 2017.
Earlier the government had launched BHIM app for transactions post demonetization.
Aadhaar Pay is meant for merchants to receive digital payments from customers over the counter through Aadhaar authentication.
4. India for the first time has become a net exporter of electricity during the April-February period in fiscal 2016-17.
During this period, India exported around 5,798 million units of electricity to Bangladesh, Nepal and Myanmar.
Sports & Athletics:
1. India’s off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin received the Garfield Sobers Trophy for the ICC Cricketer of the Year 2016 as well as the ICC Test Cricketer of the Year 2016.
Ashwin is the third Indian, and the 12th player overall to win the award.
2. Argentina footballer Lionel Messi was banned from next four competitive internationals for swearing at a match official.
The ban will start with the World Cup’s qualifier in Bolivia.
Messi had directed insulting words at an assistant referee during the 1-0 win over Chile.
Awards & Recognition:
1. President Pranab Mukherjee presented Dr. B. C. Roy National Awards to 49 physicians for the year 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Besides, he also presented Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Awards to four physicians.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. ICICI Bank announced a partnership with mobile app firm Truecaller for a new UPI-based mobile payment service, called as Truecaller Pay.
It will allow users to instantly create a UPI id, send money to any UPI id or a mobile number registered with the BHIM app.
It will also enable users to recharge their mobile number from within the Truecaller app itself.
2. Truecaller has tied up with Google to integrate the tech giant’s video calling app Duo within the Truecaller app.
The integration will be available for Android and iOS as a permission-based service, where users will be able to opt-in and out at any time.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. State-run Engineers India Ltd appointed Shazia Ilmi Malik as additional director (non-official part-time independent).
Earlier, Ilmi was appointed as a brand ambassador for the Prime Minister’s Swachh Bharat Mission programme.
2. Reliance Group Chairman Anil Ambani has been inducted into the international advisory board of global think-tank The Atlantic Council.
Other global business leaders include Thomas Enders, CEO, Airbus Group, Rupert Murdoch, CEO, 21 Century Fox etc.
3. Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) has appointed Justice Mukul Mudgal as head of its independent disciplinary committee.
The committee will investigate and address complaints related to viewership malpractices and tampering of the measurement system.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. State Bank of India will offer zero annual fee credit cards to every account holder who has a balance of Rs 20,000-25,000.
The Bank will not go into customers’ credit history and the card, which will be issued in the name of Unnati, will remain free for four years.
2. Union Government has imposed 10% import duty on wheat and tur dal to protect farmers’ interest amid projection of a record crop this year.
Earlier in December 2016, the government had reduced customs duty on wheat to 0 from 10% to boost domestic availability and check retail prices.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. The Parliament has passed the Mental Healthcare Bill, 2016 that decriminalizes suicide attempt by mentally ill people.
It guarantees the right to better healthcare for people with mental illness.
It was first passed in Rajya Sabha in August 2016 and later in Lok Sabha in March 2017.
Science & Technology:
1. The Indian Navy has de-inducted TU142M Long Range Maritime Patrol aircraft.
The aircraft was formally de-inducted at a ceremony held at INS Rajali naval air station in Arakkonam, Tamil Nadu.
2. INLCU L51 was commissioned into the Indian Navy by Vice Admiral Bimal Verma, Commander-in-Chief, Andaman and Nicobar Command at Port Blair.
It is First of the Eight ships of the LCU Mk IV Class and has been built by M/s Garden Reach Ship Builders & Engineers Ltd, Kolkata.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Eminent jurist and senior advocate T R Andhyarujina passed away in Mumbai.
He also served as Solicitor General during 1996-98 as a part of the team of constitutional law expert H M Seervai in his initial days.
2. South Africa’s revered Indian-origin anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Kathrada passed away.
He was one of Nelson Mandela’s closest aides in his struggle to end the white minority rule.
3. Former Punjab minister and senior Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) leader Gurdev Singh Badal passed away after the prolonged illness.
He had represented Panjgrain and Jaito assembly seats in the past.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images