Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Supreme Court in its latest verdict has held that election candidates cannot seek votes on the grounds of the religion, caste, creed, community, or language of voters.
The ruling was given by a 4-3 majority of the seven-judge Constitution bench headed by Chief Justice TS Thakur.
It held that if the candidate is found violating the order will result into call for his disqualification.
2. Andhra Pradesh Government has launched NTR Arogya Raksha Scheme to provide the medical treatment to the people below Above Poverty Line (APL) at Rs. 1200 premium per annum.
The new health scheme offering medical insurance to those who were not covered under any of the existing health schemes of the state government.
3. Odisha’s World famous 11-day gala festival Bargarh Dhanua Jatra started on 2nd January 2017.
All rituals were performed before Goddess Samaleswari, the presiding deity of the event.
It is the world’s largest open-air theatrical festival.
4. In a bid to safeguard fingerlings, fish species and increase their population, all purse seine nets, large fishing nets used to catch fish in bulk were banned across Maharashtra from 1st January 2017.
5. Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu launched a new health scheme christened Arogya Raksha offering medical insurance to those who were not covered under any of the existing health schemes of the state government.
To avail of the benefits of Arogya Raksha, all one needs to do is pay `100 per month per head.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India and Sri Lanka have expressed confidence for finding a long-lasting solution to the issue of fishermen between the two countries.
In this regard, talks co-chaired by Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh and Sri Lankan fisheries Minister Mahinda Amaraweera were held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) has been awarded as “Best Performing Power Distribution Utility in Power Sector” by Central Board of Irrigation & Power (CBIP).
The award was presented to Karan Deep Chaudhri, Chairman-cum-Managing Director, PSPSCL.
PSPCL has been awarded on the basis of outstanding contribution to Punjab by providing reliable 24×7 cost effective electricity to all categories of consumers.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Public sector lender Bank of Baroda has entered a partnership with CNX Corporation (CNX).
The objective is to provide collateral management services towards the loans against warehouse receipt sanctioned to the farmers through the network of the bank’s branches across the country.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Prof David R. Syiemlieh has been appointed as the Chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) as per Article 316 of Constitution.
He will take over from Alka Sirohi and shall remain the head of the organization till his retirement on 21st January 2018 or till further orders.
Science & Technology:
1. The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs has launched Mobile App for Haj Pilgrimage.
The app will provide information and facilitate e-payments for the pilgrimage.
This is for the first-time digital push has been given to the Haj application process.
2. The Maritime Union of India (MUI), country’s oldest union representing Indian Merchant Navy Officers since 1939, has launched android based mobile app named MUI.
The app is aimed at connecting the maritime fraternity across the country to facilitate and enable Indian merchant navy officers to share comments, knowledge and other things related to their profession.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images