Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Ministry of Women and Child Development has initiated a social media campaign - #WeAreEqual – targeted at raising awareness about gender discrimination.
The campaign will culminate into the celebration of International Women’s Day on 8th March 2017.
Prominent personalities such as film actors Mr. Amitabh Bachchan, and Ms. Dia Mirza; sportspersons Ms. Mary Kom among others, have joined the campaign.
2. The Sarbananda Sonowal-led BJP government in Assam has made Sanskrit compulsory in all state board schools till Class VIII.
In Assam, one of the three languages-Assamese, Bodo or Bengali is taught in state board schools, apart from English that is compulsory.
3. Indian Navy successfully test-fired an anti-ship missile for the first time from an indigenously built INS Kalvari submarine.
This launch is considered as significant milestone of Indian Navy in enhancing its sub-surface warfare process.
4. Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh top a list of states visited by Indian tourists in 2016.
As per data released by the Ministry, a total of 344.3 million domestic tourists visited Tamil Nadu in 2016 while 229.6 million Uttar Pradesh.
5. The National Green Tribunal (NGT) ordered a ban on camping activities within 100 m of the Ganga in Uttarakhand.
The ban will be imposed from Kaudiyala to Rishikesh in Uttarakhand.
6. The Indian Railways has made Aadhaar number mandatory for senior citizens to avail concessions in booking train tickets from 1st April, 2017.
Indian Railways will also launch an integrated ticketing app by May 2017 to promote cashless transaction.
7. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has launched four new freight sector initiatives to increase the profitability of the Indian Railways.
The newly launched freight sector initiatives are: Roll-on-Roll-off (RORO), Long Term Tariff Contracts and Agreements, Double Stack Dwarf Containers, Indian Railway’s Business Plan 2017-18.
8. The Union Government has approved over 4,000 Post Graduate seats in medical colleges and hospitals across the country for the academic session 2017-18.
With this, the total number of PG seats available in the country will go up to over 35 thousand.
9. Bharat Earth Movers Limited, BEML launches solar rooftop project in Karnataka. BEML Ltd.
By this, BEML is heading towards achieving the target of using 100 per cent renewable energy for captive consumption.
International – Across the Globe:
1. Australia will offer the world’s first university course to train intelligence analysts to fight cybercrime.
The course will be prompted by innovative methods of money transfer among organised crime and militant groups.
2. By 2050, India will be the country with the world’s largest Muslim population.
There were 1.6 billion Muslims in the world as of 2010 – roughly 23% of the global population.
Currently, Indonesia has the world’s largest Muslim population.
3. Malaysia will cancel visa-free entry for North Koreans entering the country from 6th March 2017.
North Koreans will be required to obtain a visa before entering Malaysia for national security reasons.
4. The General Staff of the Syrian Army had recaptured the ancient city of Palmyra from the extremist group Islamic State (IS).
The units led by Iranian and Russia entered the city three months after IS took it over.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Jawaharlal Nehru University has won the annual Visitor’s Award for the Best University 2017.
Deepak Pant from Central University of Himachal Pradesh won the Visitor’s Award for ‘Innovation’.
The awards will be presented during a function as part of the Festival of Innovations.
2. The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has entered the Limca Book of World Records for erecting 200 U-shaped girders in a month.
The 30-km-long corridor will be completely elevated and will have 21 stations.
3. Former US President Barack Obama has been named as the winner of the 2017 John F. Kennedy ‘Profile in Courage’
He has been honored for his enduring commitment to democratic ideals and elevating the standard of political courage in a new century.
4. The Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar presented the Raksha Mantri’s Trophy and Citation for the best Service Hospital in the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) for the year 2016 to INHS Asvini, Mumbai.
Commandant of INHS Asvini Mumbai, Surgeon Rear Admiral Ravi Kalra received the awards from the Minister on behalf of the Hospital.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Omar al-Bashir was sworn in as Sudan’s first prime minister since the post was scrapped in a 1989 Islamist-backed coup.
He was named prime minister by the executive bureau of the president’s National Congress Party (NCP).
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Justice Arijit Pasayat, said Rs 70,000 crore of black money has been detected so far.
Special Investigation Team will submit its sixth report to Supreme court in April 2017.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the Rotary India signed a MoU for the success of Namami Gange Programme.
The collaboration would initially focus on synergizing the strength of Rotary International for Ganga Rejuvenation without any additional financial commitment from NMCG.
1. The World Wildlife Day was observed across the world on 3 March 2017.
The theme of 2017 is Listen to the young voices.
The day is seen as an opportunity to celebrate the many beautiful and varied forms of wild fauna and flora.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images