Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates Patanjali Research Institute in Haridwar, Uttarkhand.
The institute is established with an aim to globally establish the vedic knowlege of ayurveda of Ancient Indian Saints.
2. Sualgiri and Swalgiri communities of Odisha have been notified as Scheduled Castes after President Pranab Mukherjee gave his assent to the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order (Amendment) Act, 2017.
Similarly, the Constitution (Pondicherry) Scheduled Castes Order, 1964 has replaced the term Union Territory of Pondicherry to Puducherry.
3. The Director General of Military Operations of India -Pakistan held talks after the Pakistani special forces team snuck across the LoC and beheaded two Indian security personnel.
During the raid, bodies of Naib Subedar Paramjit Singh (22 Sikh Regiment) and head constable Prem Sagar (200 BSF Battalion) were left mutilated.
4. Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched the ‘Haryana Vision Zero’ campaign in collaboration with NASSCOMM Foundation with an aim to reduce deaths due to road accidents.
An MoU was also signed between the Transport Department of Haryana and NASSCOM and World Resources Institute (WRI) to take the project to 10 districts of the state.
5. Madhya Pradesh has become the first state in the country to shift its financial year from the present April-March cycle to January-December.
The state’s budget session for the next financial year would be held in December-January.
Shifting of the financial year format to January-December would require shifting of the tax assessment year.
International – Across the Globe:
1. According to the United Nations report, economic growth for India is projected to be stable at 7.1% in 2017 before edging up to 7.5% in 2018.
Inflation is projected to reach 5.3 – 5.5% in 2017 and 2018.
The report titled: The Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific 2017, report was launched by United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
2. US-based think tank Global Financial Integrity (GFI) report has estimated that $770 billion worth of black money entered India during 2005-2014.
The report titled Illicit Financial Flows to and from Developing Countries: 2005-2014 also states that in 2014 alone, $101 billion black money entered India while USD 23 billion exited.
Sports & Athletics:
1. India lost 1 – 3 aganist defending champions Australia in a preliminary league match of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup Hockey Tournament.
Australia is 9th time winners of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup.
2. In the recently updated ICC T20 International team rankings, India has been placed at the 4th position with 118 points behind second placed England and third placed Pakistan.
New-Zealand has topped the table with 125 points.
South Africa (5th), Australia (6th), West Indies (7th), Sri Lanka (8th), Afghanistan (9th) and Bangladesh (10th).
3. The legendary Oinam Bembem Devi, Jeje Lalpekhlua and Gurpreet Sandhu have been nominated for the Arjuna Awards.
They are recommended by the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
4. Jharkhand Governor Droupadi Murmu inaugurated the Oorja CAPFs under-19 football talent hunt tournament 2017 at the Mega Sports Complex.
Its aim is to select talented players and give them opportunity at the national and international level.
Tete is the the brand ambassador of the tournament.
Awards & Recognition:
1. The 44th Daytime Emmy Awards was announced at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, in Pasadena, Los Angeles. Here is the list of winners.
|Outstanding Drama Series||General Hospital|
|Outstanding Game Show||Jeopardy|
|Outstanding Talk Show/Informative||The Dr. Oz Show|
|Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||Gina Tognoni as Phyllis Summers on The Young and the Restless|
|Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series||Scott Clifton as Liam Spencer on The Bold and the Beautiful|
|Outstanding Younger Actress in a Drama Series||Lexi Ainsworth as Kristina Davis on General Hospital|
|Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series||Bryan Craig as Morgan Corinthos on General Hospital|
|Outstanding Game Show Host||Steve Harvey – Family Feud|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Mary Hart, former long-running host of Entertainment Tonight|
2. Padma Venkataraman, a social worker and daughter for former Indian President, the late R Venkataraman was honoured with the Avvaiyar award 2017.
She was awarded for her efforts in the field of women’s welfare and the rehabilitation of leprosy-affected people since the past 30 years by Tamil Nadu government.
The prize carried a cheque of Rs 1 lakh, a gold medal weighing 8 gm and a certificate.
3. The hollywood film The black prince starring Indian Actress Shabana Azmi and Sainder Sartaaj awarded special Jury Remi Award at 50th Annual World Fest Houston International film Festival.
The black prince is a historic film of the last king of Punjab – Maharajah Duleep Singh and his relationship with Queen Victoria.
4. Chairman of Nicco group Rajive Kaul conferred with the Order of Diplomatic Service Merit Sungnye Medal of the Republic of Korea for his services rendered as honorary consul general of South Korea in Kolkata.
The award was conferred by the acting President and Prime Minister of South Korea Hwang Kyo-ahn at a programme in New Delhi.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge is appointed the new chairman of the 21-member Public Accounts Committee of Parliament.
Kharge replaces congress leader K V Thomas whose term ended on 30th April 2017.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. Fitch Ratings has affirmed India’s sovereign rating at BBB-, which is the lowest investment grade rating.
According to the rating agency, India’s general government debt burden was 67.9% of GDP whereas the ‘BBB’ median is 40.9%.
Also, Fitch has estimated a wide fiscal balance of -6.6% of GDP for FY17.
2. NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant confirmed that the RBI and other commercial banks spend Rs 21,000 crore every year on currency management operations.
The major objective of the NITI Aayog is to increase the adoption and use of digital payments in India so that cash usage drops to 5-6 per cent of GDP.
3. Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) in collabortion with UNDO set up a management facility for the disposal of Hazardous Waste (Polychlorinated Biphenyl) by using Plasma Technology.
The project would come up in SAIL’s flagship Bhilai Steel Plant.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Turkey have signed three agreements in the fields of ICT, training and culture. Three agreements are:
An agreement for a cultural exchange programme for the years 2017-2020 was signed.
A MoU was signed between the Foreign Services Institute (FSI) of India and the Diplomacy Academy of Turkey.
A MoU was signed for cooperation in the area of information and communication technologies (ICT).
Science & Technology:
1. Indian Army has successfully test-fired advanced Block-III version of Brahmos cruise missile in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The test firing demonstrated the weapon’s unmatched lethality of hitting the centre of a designated target with “bull’s eye” precision.
2. The United States (US) Military’s missile defence system THAAD Missile became operational in South Korea.
THAAD missile defence system is designed to intercept and destroy ballistic missiles.
It has a range of 200 km and can reach an altitude of 150 km.
1. World Press Freedom Day is observed globally on 3rd May every year.
The day is observed to pay tribute to those journalists who lost their lives while working on stories they’re passionate about.
The 2017 theme is Critical Minds for Critical Times: Media’s role in advancing peaceful, just and inclusive societies.
2. World Asthma Day was observed on 2nd May 2017 every year.
The day is mostly observed on the first Tuesday in the month of May.
The day is observed to improve Asthma awareness and care around the world.
3. The United Nations has marked the first World Tuna Day on 2nd May with calls to conserve one of the globe’s most popular fish to be caught and eaten.
It is a saltwater fish that belongs to the tribe Thunnini, a sub-grouping of the mackerel family (Scombridae).
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images