Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. The Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) has launched climate change programme.
It is launched to conduct study to assess the status, distribution and conservation of Pheasants and Finches in Central Himalayas.
It is long-term monitoring project funded by Oracle and facilitated by CAF-India.
It will focus on their conservation in the context of climate change with the help of community participation.
2. The Union Finance Ministry has agreed to contribute partially to a new dedicated railway safety fund named as Rashtriya Rail Sanraksha Kosh in the upcoming Union Budget 2017-18.
The proposed safety fund will be utilized for track improvement, bridge rehabilitation, rolling stock replacement, human resource development, improved inspection system and safety work at level crossing, among other things.
The Finance Ministry is likely to grant a fresh infusion of only Rs. 5,000 crore in the upcoming financial year out of the initial proposed corpus of Rs. 20,000 crore.
3. All India Radio Center at Agartala celebrated 50 years of completion.
Tripura Governor Tathagata Roy has inaugurated the 2 -day long programme at All India Radio Campus.
Many cultural programmes, puppet shows will be presented at Rabindra Bhawan, which will be inaugurated by Chief Minister Manik Sarkar
International – Across the Globe:
1. The 53rd SAARC Programming Committee meeting is scheduled to take place in Kathmandu on 1st February 2017.
The meeting would discuss budget management for the operation of the Kathmandu-based SAARC Secretariat on 1st and 2nd February.
The Programming Committee comprises of the Foreign Joint-Secretaries from the SAARC member nations.
Nepal is hosting the meeting as the SAARC summit, which was to be organized by Pakistan, was postponed affecting the handover of the chairmanship of SAARC
2. Ireland has voted to be the world’s first country to fully divest public money from fossil fuels.
The Irish Parliament passed the historic legislation in a 90 to 53 vote in favor of dropping coal, oil and gas investments from the 8bn Ireland Strategic Investment Fund, part of the Republic’s National Treasury Management Agency.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that his government would set up a task force to create a strategy to help sportspersons prepare for the next three Olympics-2020, 2024, 2028.
The task force would cover infrastructure, training and selection.
The members of the committee are: Pulella Gopichand, Abhinav Bindra, Rajesh Kalra, Om Pathak, Viren Rasquinha, S Baldev Singh, Prof. G. L. Khanna, Sandeep Pradhan.
The announcement comes against the backdrop of India’s two medals at the recently concluded Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, which brought into focus the lack of facilities and support+ for sportspersons in the country.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Indian superstar Priyanka Chopra has made it to the list of Harper’s Bazaar’s 150 most fashionable women.
The 34-year-old Quantico star features on the list under the section titled New Guard.
She joins other stars on the list which included Brie Larson, Dakota Johnson, Emilia Clarke, Margot Robbie, Gal Gadot, Dakota Fanning and Elle Fanning.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
1. Future Generali India Insurance Company (FGII) has entered into a corporate agency tie-up with Bank of Maharashtra.
The main focus is to offer customized products, best customer service and sustain the trust of customers of Bank of Maharashtra.
FGII aim to immensely benefit customers by providing them an ease of access while choosing from a diverse range of non-life insurance products, all under one roof.
2. Idea Cellular and Vodafone confirmed that the two companies are exploring a merger of business operations which would create the country’s biggest telecom company.
The confirmation ended months of speculation that the two operators were exploring a deal to help fend off Reliance Jio whose recent arrival shook up India’s ultra-competitive mobile network market.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Dushyant Chautala is appointed as new president of Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI).
The election to all posts, conducted and supervised by Justice Ranjit Singh (Retd.) of the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
Chautala is the youngest president of the apex body and his term extends until 2021.
2. The Co-founder of Snapdeal investor Kalaari Capital, Vani Kola has joined homegrown startups Flipkart and Ola to hit out at foreign firms on their capital dumping practices.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. State-owned Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd has inked three pacts to extend financial assistance of around Rs 60,000 crore to Andhra Pradesh.
The financial assistance comprises Rs 40,000 crore to Andhra Pradesh Power Generation Corp, Rs 10,000 to Transmission Corporation of Andhra Pradesh and Rs 10,000 crore to AP DISCOMSs.
2. Union finance Minister Arun Jaitley tabled the Economic Survey 2016-17 in Parliament budget session.
The survey prepared by chief economic adviser in the finance ministry Arvind Subramanian.
The survey projects the economy to grow in the range of 6.75% to 7.25% in fiscal year 2017-18 in the post-demonetization year.
It says that the adverse impact of demonetization on GDP growth will be transitional.
2. Reliance Defense and Engineering Ltd (RDEL) has signed Rs 916 crore contract with Defense Ministry for design and construction of 14 fast patrol vessels for Indian Coast Guard.
RDEL emerged winner through a competitive bidding process undertaken by Ministry of Defence with participation from L&T, Cochin Shipyard Ltd, Goa Shipyard Ltd, Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE).
Science & Technology:
1. India’s first dedicated space observatory, ASTROSAT, has captured the rare phenomenon of a small six-billion-year-old vampire star preying on a bigger celestial body.
The smaller star, also called a blue straggler feeds off its companion star by sucking out its mass and energy, causing its eventual death.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images