Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore has emerged at the top of the NIRF Ratings 2017 that rates Indian higher educational institutes based on their performance.
Top 10 IITs are: -Madras (2), Bombay (3), Kharagpur (4), Delhi (5), Kanpur (7), Guwahati (8) and Roorkee (9).
2. Jammu and Kashmir government imposed a blanket ban on the use of polyethene bags manufactured below fifty (50) microns.
New guidelines and regulations, would facilitate proper recycling of plastic waste, reducing its impact on the ecology.
3. Delhi’s Connaught Place is the world’s 9th most Expensive Office location with annual prime rent of USD 105.71 per sq ft.
With annual prime rent of USD 264.27 per sq ft, Hong Kong (Central) is the world’s most expensive office Market.
4. Thaawarchand Gehlot, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment has inaugurated a National Conference on Autism in New Delhi.
It is being organized by The National Trust for the welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
5. Private carrier Jet Airways passenger can now buy tickets online, using the industry’s latest payment mechanism, Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
With this, Jet Airways becomes the only Indian airline to provide guests with this convenient payment solution.
International – Across the Globe:
1. India and six other South Asian countries of SASEC have pledged to improve intra-regional connectivity to boost trade and tourism.
The decision was taken at the Finance ministers of member countries meeting in New Delhi to reshape SASEC.
They also came out with the SASEC Vision for 2025 and adopted operational plan 2016-25.
Sports & Athletics:
1. Former Guatemalan football chief Brayan Jimenez has been banned from the sport.
The reason for the ban is the offences which included bribery and corruption.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Priyanka Chopra has become the second most beautiful woman in the world according to poll done by social media network, BuzzNet.
Pop diva Beyonce topped the list.
Model and Victoria’s Secret angel Taylor Hill is at number three followed by Watson, Dakota Johnson and Hillary Clinton at fourth, fifth and sixth position respectively.
Books & Authors:
1. Goa-based author Luis de Assis Correia has recently released his book Portuguese India and Mughal Relations 1510-1735.
The book is already in controversies as the author has claimed that Jodhabai, Wife of Akbar was, in fact, a Portuguese woman, Dona Maria Mascarenhas.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. B P Kanungo took over as the Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI)f or a period of three years.
Prior to that, he was holding the position of Executive Director of RBI.
Three other Deputy Governors of the Reserve Bank of India are S S Mundra, N S Vishwanathan and Viral V Acharya.
2. Mahendra Singh Dhoni was named the chief executive officer of Gulf Oil India for a day.
He has been a brand ambassador for the firm since 2011.
Economics & Banking GK:
1. State Bank of India has reduced benchmark lending rate by 0.15 per cent to 9.10 per cent.
Base rate or the minimum lending rate of the bank has been reduced from 9.25 per cent to 9.10 per cent effective 1st April 2017.
The bank has also reduced its base rate by 0.05 per cent to 9.25 per cent. Similarly, Benchmark Prime Lending Rate (BPLR) has also been reduced by similar percentage points to 13.85 per cent from 14 per cent.
2. ICICI Bank and Axis Bank sold Rs. 1,800 crore of loans to paper maker Ballarpur Industries to Edelweiss Asset Reconstruction Company.
Axis Bank sold loans of Rs. 1,200 crore and ICICI Bank sold loans of Rs.600 crore.
Science & Technology:
1. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved the procurement of a fresh batch of Barak surface-to-surface missiles for naval warships.
This procurement will help to enhance India’s maritime capability.
DAC approved capital acquisition totaling over Rs 860 crore, including for the purchase of Barak missiles.
2. Android has overtaken Windows Microsoft to become internet’s most used Operating system.
Android users represented 37.93 percent of activity on StatCounter’s network versus 37.91 percent for the Microsoft Windows operating system.
Apple’s iOS remains the third most used operating system to access the internet.
1. International day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action is observed every year on 4th April.
The day is celebrated to raise awareness about landmines and work towards their eradication.
The theme for 2017 is Needs Driven, People Centred.
Recent Notable Deaths:
1. Renowned Hindustani classical vocalist Kishori Amonkar passed away after a brief illness.
She was recognized as one of the foremost singers in the Hindustani tradition and as an innovative exponent of the Jaipur gharana.
GK Eduwrap will help you keeping aware about all the major happenings of the country and the world and update your current affairs/general knowledge.
This will help you in preparing for all the competitive exams like IBPS, SSC, RRB, etc.
Image Courtesy: Google Images