Get daily current affairs update, latest general knowledge and boost your IQ and prepare confidently for general awareness for Bank PO exams.
National – Across the India:
1. India has been placed at 70th position in recently released 2015 Good Country Index (GCI).
Indian ranked among 163 countries.
Top 10 Countries in 2015 GCI are Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Germany, Finland, Canada, France, Austria and New Zealand.
The Good Country Index (GCI) measure each country’s contribution to the common good of humanity and what it takes away, relative to its size.
2. Haryana Government has launched Asia’s first ‘Gyps Vulture Reintroduction Programme’ at the Jatayu Conservation Breeding Centre at Pinjore.
Chief Minister Manohar Lal launched it by releasing 2 captive bred Himalayan Griffons vultures in the pre-release aviaries close to the breeding centre at Pinjore.
The vultures were released as part of the soft release or reintroduction programme, in a pre-release aviary where they would have an unobstructive view of the surrounding.
Awards & Recognition:
1. Two Indian-origin women have been named in the Forbes’ second annual list of America’s wealthiest and most successful self-made women.
The list includes names of 60 most successful self-made women who have crashed ceilings through invention and innovation.
Two Indian-origin women are Neerja Sethi and Jayshree Ullal.
Appointments & Resignations:
1. Nita Ambani, Founder and Chairperson of Reliance Foundation has been nominated as a candidate to be a new member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
She is the first Indian woman to be nominated to the IOC.
She is being considered in the category of volunteers who represent the IOC and Olympic Movement in their country.
The IOC is the supreme authority of the Olympic Movement headquartered at Lausanne, Switzerland.
2. Ruling AIADMK P Dhanapal was re-elected as Speaker of the 15th Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
By this, he becomes first speaker to be elected for a consecutive second term in the state’s legislative history.
Pollachi V Jayaraman of ruling AIADMK was also re-elected as the Deputy Speaker of the legislative assembly.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had proposed their names as Speaker and Deputy Speaker respectively.
Bills – New & Amendments:
1. Assam Assembly has passed Assam Ease of Doing Business Bill, 2016 to facilitate ease of doing business in the state.
The bill seeks to attract fresh investment in the state through an easy computerized clearance system.
The bill has the provision for speedy processing of applications and issue of clearances for setting up industries.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
1. India and Singapore have agreed to enhance the scale of existing bilateral military interaction.
Both the countries have decided to expand the interaction between the armed forces.
The decision was taken at inaugural Singapore-India Defence Ministers’ Dialogue (DMD).
The Dialogue was co-chaired by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and his Singapore counterpart Dr. Ng Eng Hen.
Science & Technology:
1. NASA scientists have located 39 unreported and major human-made sources of toxic Sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions that cause pollution.
They used a new satellite-based method for locating them.
The unreported emission sources were found in the analysis of satellite data from 2005 to 2014.
These sources are clusters of coal-burning power plants, oil and gas operations and smelters notably found in West Asia, Mexico and parts of Russia.
SO2 is a known health hazard and cause of acid rain.
2. A team of scientists from Harvard University (United States) has created a unique bionic leaf that uses sunlight (solar energy) to split water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen and hydrogen-eating bacteria to produce liquid fuels from CO2.
This artificial photosynthesis device has been dubbed bionic leaf 2.0.
The new system can convert solar energy to biomass with 10% efficiency.
Its efficiency is much higher than the 1% seen in the fastest growing plants.
1. Muhammad Ali, American boxing icon passed away. He was 74.
He was struggling for 32-year battle with Parkinson’s disease in Phoenix, Arizona.
He was former three times world heavyweight champion (1964, 1974 and 1978) who had record-setting boxing career, which had made him one of the best-known figures of the 20th century.
He was also known globally for his civil rights activism.
He was honoured as “Sportsman of the Century” and “Sports Personality of the Century”.
Books written by him are My Own Story and The Soul of a Butterfly.
Image Courtesy: Google Images